Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why the Virtual Boy is the best system in my collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default why the Virtual Boy is the best system in my collection

The Virtual Boy is the stand out system in my collection and my apartment for that matter. It stands proudly atop a small bookshelf next to my TV. It’s a videogame sculpture. I have many systems and when people come over nobody asks about anything except the Virtual Boy. “wow what is that?” I normally give a brief history about the failed system. When I take it down for people to play it’s always good for a few minutes of fun and laughter as they peer into the red screen. “oh man this is crazy…why is it all red?” Not since R.O.B. have I had anything that so many people wanted to play with. Thank goodness it doesn’t break like R.O.B. Oh yeah one more thing I’m currently in college and girls love it :P

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have then play it for more then 10 minutes and see if they still like it. After that is when it feels like a knife is stuck into your head. IMO

Fun system thou. When I worked at Blockbuster we got that in I played it all the time. Tennis kicks ass on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tynstar
    Have then play it for more then 10 minutes and see if they still like it.
    funny you should say that. I also get this quote when the auto pause screen comes up. "is this thing bad for me"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wasn't sure if I should get a virtual boy. I know someone with a few he is selling for about 15 bucks but I just dont know if its worth it. How many games were thier for it and are they hard to find?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$15 is a good deal.
    as far as games go:
    there are 14 US games and 19 JPN games

luckily the fun games aren't that rare. you should be able to find mario tennis, baseball, golf, and warioland for around $10.

try these links to learn more

http://www.virtual-boy.org/
    http://www.vr32.de/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have then play it for more then 10 minutes and see if they still like it. After that is when it feels like a knife is stuck into your head. IMO
    I constantly hear people bring up the "headache" thing whenever the VB is discussed, but neither me or nobody I've know has ever gotten a headache from playing the thing. I'm starting to think it's an urban legend someone made up and people believe it 'cause most never played a VB before.

I love the VB. Got a complete collection of all the US releases and I'm 1 away from having a complete Japanese set. The system died *WAY* too early. If people only gave it a chance, the VB could have really taken off and seen some more interesting titles released for it. There is a small but dedicated homebrew scene for it though. If we're lucky, we'll see some new VB games soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa
    I constantly hear people bring up the "headache" thing whenever the VB is discussed, but neither me or nobody I've know has ever gotten a headache from playing the thing. I'm starting to think it's an urban legend someone made up and people believe it 'cause most never played a VB before.
    maybe not a headache but my eyes start to bug out after extended playing time. With that said I still love it. I hope you're right about new games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

since the Vitural Boy topic is on the board does anybody want to nominate their favorite game.

for me it's Golf. While it might not be the best golf video game I like the 3D effects in it and I find the music amusing. Warioland and Tennis follow close behind. The worst game I have in my 11 game collection is galatic pinball.

Also I hear many people recomend Jack Bros but I don't own it yet and have never played it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

As far as I know, my Virtual Boy hasn't given me any health problems, so I feel fortunate.

I like the controller! It feels so comfortable in my hands. I haven't played in a while, though.

Girls love it, though? Come on. You've got to be joking.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I had one for about two days before trading it because it did give me a headache, I did play for about 35 min. straight though. It took a while.

I really really enjoyed Mario Tennis of the games that I had for the system.

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got a mint boxed one with eight games, there isnt a scratch on it and its perfect! i dont want to play with it coz its too much even the carts still have the bags!

damm
    So you think your a Dj? Go to My Djset.com and upload your mix, See if your good enough for the real world!
    Stuff for Sale

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I get headaches with it also.
    But I really think it's because of the awkward way you have to hold your head and neck.
    Try sitting with your head in a weird angle for 30 minutes anywhere and see if you don't get a headache.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had VB headaches but every one of them was neck related and nothing to do with vision. Stop every 15-20 minutes for a break and you'll be fine. I too have a complete US VB collection (along with 3 VBs, one of them NIB)... it's a great system that I would love to see more things for.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmmm girls love it? Need a Virtual Boy ASAP!!

to bad the system was never released here, so i have to import one (or buy an expensive one from another collector) but i would love to have a VB on my shelf, it looks cool indeed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Munchies879

For awhile I had my Virtual Boy sitting on an end table in my living room. Nearly everyone that came over either asked what it was or if they could play it.

I used to play VB for long stretches of time (of course taking breaks every 20 mins or so) and I never got a single headache.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa
    Headache, no, but tired eyes, YES. Tired like I've been playing an FPS for 10 hours straight, big time. Though my eyes are insane anyways.

IRT Topic:

Hey, if you like it, that's great, what can I say? You gave reasons so I can't really argue with you :D

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if it gives you a neck ache try taking it off the stand and lying down with it resting on your face...seriously, its much easier to play that way.
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now that I think about it, that connector to the tripod is just a threaded bolthole, yes? You could probably attach it to something else, something sturdier or perhaps different. Maybe a desk lamp extendable arm, the kind you clip to the desk? Or a camera tripod? Certainly you could make something yourself with a bolt of that size ready to attach...
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christianscott27
    if it gives you a neck ache try taking it off the stand and lying down with it resting on your face...seriously, its much easier to play that way.
    That is how I play it. I've played it for hours that way, always with the auto pause on, though. In fact, I used to play it that way while laying down in the back of a truck as my parents drove to Florida. Never a headache. I think the problems with headaches came from either the neck angle, or not adjusting the screens correctly.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love the Virtual Boy. I wish that there were more U.S. released games, especially with all of the titles announce it could have been one of the best systems. I love checking out www.virtual-boy.org and browsing around. I only have six of the VBoy games released in the U.S., and one in Japanese but I just started.
    What I'm really looking for is VBoy merchandise.