Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: why the Virtual Boy is the best system in my collection

Pac-Man (Level 10) Arqueologia_Digital's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don´t like very much the VB, but it´s a good system to collect, i have a pair of games...

Matías

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christianscott27
    if it gives you a neck ache try taking it off the stand and lying down with it resting on your face...seriously, its much easier to play that way.
    I always thought that it would be, but my Virtual Boy doesn't have the rubber eye shade. Good luck there.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Default Re: why the Virtual Boy is the best system in my collection

Quote Originally Posted by classicb
    The Virtual Boy is the stand out system in my collection and my apartment for that matter. It stands proudly atop a small bookshelf next to my TV. It’s a videogame sculpture. I have many systems and when people come over nobody asks about anything except the Virtual Boy. “wow what is that?” I normally give a brief history about the failed system. When I take it down for people to play it’s always good for a few minutes of fun and laughter as they peer into the red screen. “oh man this is crazy…why is it all red?” Not since R.O.B. have I had anything that so many people wanted to play with. Thank goodness it doesn’t break like R.O.B. Oh yeah one more thing I’m currently in college and girls love it :P
    I know where your coming from..
    The first thing asked about in my game room,when new people come over is my Virtual Boy Display Unit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa
    I constantly hear people bring up the "headache" thing whenever the VB is discussed, but neither me or nobody I've know has ever gotten a headache from playing the thing. I'm starting to think it's an urban legend someone made up and people believe it 'cause most never played a VB before.
    There has to be some sort of deleterious effect on /some individuals who play the VB which was probably discovered during playtesting, otherwise Nintendo would never have bothered to put the "Take A BreaK" caveat into the software. It's probably a question of neurology, but some people for whatever reason just can't handle prolonged exposure to altered perspectives [insert drug abuse joke here]. They're just not wired for it, whereas other people aren't affected as much by that sort of thing.

The closest comparison I can think of is the movie The Blair Witch Project. IMHO, this is one of the best horror movies ever. But when I ask other people what they thought about it, at least half complain that they couldn't get into the film at all because of the way the cameras were constantly jerking or swinging around. A few people I know even had to leave the movie halfway through because the camera work was making them nauseous .

Luckily I am not one of those people. At least a decade of playing FPS's, 3D flight sims and Virtual Boy has made me pretty much immune to any type of vertigo. Game On!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always thought of taking an old motorcycle helmet and mounting a VB on it. That way, it would be portable and you wouldn't need the stand anymore. You'd look goofy but be comfortable.

I remember a website where someone took one of those desk lights with the swinging arm and mounted a VB to it.

FRED

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

since the Vitural Boy topic is on the board does anybody want to nominate their favorite game.
    I'm going to have to go with Space Invaders. I hate the original game, but for some reason the 3D perspective made it about 10x more fun for me.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

MAN I would love a copy of that game... it's one of the VB games I've most wanted to play. too bad it's so hard to get, even for people who focus on the VB.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedEye
    since the Vitural Boy topic is on the board does anybody want to nominate their favorite game.
    I'm going to have to go with Space Invaders. I hate the original game, but for some reason the 3D perspective made it about 10x more fun for me.
    I'll second that. I'm not a big fan of the original either, but Space Invaders is SOOO fun to play on the VB. The updated 3D version is real sweet looking but you also have the option of playing the original too. It's expensive, but anyone thinking of buying the original SI arcade machine should forget it and buy a VB and this game instead.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Not only do we agree, but I swear to god "Debaser" is about halfway through in my car's stereo right now. Assuming that's what your custom title is referencing, we ought to get married.

Armchair Arcade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    billlog
    PSN
    ArmchairArcade
    3DS Friend
    3995-6521-5257
    Steam
    Bill_Loguidice

Quote Originally Posted by tynstar
    Have then play it for more then 10 minutes and see if they still like it. After that is when it feels like a knife is stuck into your head. IMO
    I constantly hear people bring up the "headache" thing whenever the VB is discussed, but neither me or nobody I've know has ever gotten a headache from playing the thing. I'm starting to think it's an urban legend someone made up and people believe it 'cause most never played a VB before.
    I can confirm that I personally get a bit "ill" after playing it for too long. For many people, ANYTHING that "immerses" you for long periods of time will do SOMETHING to them (even the Sega Master System 3D glasses). In the case of the VB, it has the added disadvantage of being all red. It's a nice gimmick with a few interesting games, but really, it had no good reason to live on, particularly at the price point it was originally released at.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Headache a urban legend nope. I get them from playing the VB for to long. My vote for best game would be Mario Tennis but I have not played that many games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a Virtual Boy, but alas, no AC adapter, games, or eye shade.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tynstar
    Have then play it for more then 10 minutes and see if they still like it. After that is when it feels like a knife is stuck into your head. IMO
    I agree here...I have a few friends that wont TOUCH one because they swear up and down it will give them cancer. I never got a headache playing mine!