Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First PSP video

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default First PSP video

This was just posted on the CGCC and I didn't see a post about it here, so here it goes. There has been some video released of the first PSP game, Death Jr, by Backbone Entertainment. Anyway, the video is here:

http://www.1up.com/article2/0,2053,1554460,00.asp

Check out the link to the video at the top of the article...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: First PSP video

That looks pretty darn sweet :D

Literally, cute ;D

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

wow, sony might stomp a mud hole in nintendo's ass in the handheld market. lets just hope theres some 2d games for the psp.

is anyone else hoping for an adapter on the ps3 for psp games?
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by djbeatmongrel
    wow, sony might stomp a mud hole in nintendo's ass in the handheld market. lets just hope theres some 2d games for the psp.

is anyone else hoping for an adapter on the ps3 for psp games?
    Once again, lemme just say that 2D gameplay is alright, 2D graphics I could care less about. The best example - Crash Bandicoot had pretty simple 2D gameplay (though sometimes there were annoying 3D depth bits) but 3D graphics. A simple game that looks really good is what I'm looking for, after all.

Pac-Man (Level 10) atomicthumbs's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Consider all the possibilities.

Like...

Final Fantasy VII-P

That would be pretty damn sweet!
    FF VIII would be pretty damn sweet too... Yeah, I said it. VIII

"Gamera is really neat --- He is filled with turtle meat --- We all love you Ga-me-ra!"
    - MST3K

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

im not impressed by this at all,it just looks like another boring 3-d game.until i actuelly play the psp im going to wonder just how well you will be able to adjust to 3-d on such a small screen.i just remember people complaining about the small screen on the n-gage making your eyes strain trying to handle 3-d.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't get caught in the hype until you play the damn thing. Please no ports of old psx games. I don't want another mario port type sydrome. I want original games not the same OLD stuff from the PSX and PS2.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah, I agree with that - but more like, just a few ports. I would buy FF7 ported over. This system looks promising, but we have to wait and see, maybe this will get nintendo's ass in gear.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks nice but have to wait until I play it before I can have an opinion.
    Sorry Ryan, but your girlfriend is in another school.

Video games & manga (my manga scanlation group that scanlates video game manga) http://www.north101.net/Chara/vgm/index.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm still not impressed or convinced. Think about it this way.

1. That video is on a big screen high res TV. We still have no idea what the PSP looks like, what the screen is like, or what games will look like in motion on it. It could be all ghosty like a Lynx or original Game Boy for all we know, which would render games like this with lots of motion completely unplayable.

2. We have no idea what the design or battery life of the PSP will be once released. If they don't go with a long lasting rechargeable, they have no chance at all. Same for a backlight. The parents are buying GBA: SPs like crazy because they no longer have to pay for batteries...I must have heard 100 parents say that at least.

3. Sony is painfully notorious for their shoddy hardware. What's gonna happen to your PSP if you drop it? Especially if it's CD based....will it screw up the laser permanently? Kids especially are SUPER hard on their handhelds. Sony has a rep for making systems with cheap parts and then giving no customer support. I expect it'll have all sorts of hardware problems.

4. How do we know the DS is gimmicky? We don't know jack about it except that it's dual screen. Big assumption there.

5. What the hell are PSP games and systems gonna cost? GBAs are super cheap. Parents will take one look at a Sony price tag on a dsic based unit and say "I'll take the SP". Sony won't be able to knock the price down to match GBAs on a release. And PARENTS, not gamers, are the ones that need to be sold on handhelds. They're a novelty for gamers, but parents control most of the handheld market and this thing surely won't be marketed to parents. It'll be marketed to gamers.

Those are my thoughts.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My opinion:

graphics (considering it's a handheld) = impressive
    game itself= meh. just another 3D action game

Maxlords points above are rock solid. Parents are the ones that will make or break the PSP, as far as raw sales numbers go. Nintendo has built their stranglehold on handhelds winning parents wallets over. The past is littered with many a powerful failed handheld, that turned out to be too expensive for parents (system price), or too expensive for parents (batteries).

We'll see.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

I have mixed feelings on the game. I liked how in certain parts they paid attention to detail (like when he walks near flowers they die), but the rest of the level design was generally bland. That said, I'm a sucker for a good 3D platformer, which this may or may not turn out to be. I'm definitely interested, and Nintendo had better be too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tonyvortex
    im not impressed by this at all,it just looks like another boring 3-d game.
    Yea, but you can tell from the movie that the 3-D engine is smooth as ice and faster then the PS1.. It also shows technology off that isn't paper-ware like Nintendo.

I'll say it again, nintendo needs to get out of the console game 6 months ago and put everything into thier new handheld.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords
    PARENTS, not gamers, are the ones that need to be sold on handhelds. They're a novelty for gamers, but parents control most of the handheld market and this thing surely won't be marketed to parents. It'll be marketed to gamers.
    If this was true then everyone would have had 7800's for "under $50 bucks! Alright!" insead of the $150 NES. Kids control the market even if parents have the money and the BMW to drive their little demons to Best Buy.

If they were my kids... they couldn't TOUCH my portables!!!! MINE!

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raedon
    Quote Originally Posted by maxlords
    PARENTS, not gamers, are the ones that need to be sold on handhelds. They're a novelty for gamers, but parents control most of the handheld market and this thing surely won't be marketed to parents. It'll be marketed to gamers.
    If this was true then everyone would have had 7800's for "under $50 bucks! Alright!" insead of the $150 NES. Kids control the market even if parents have the money and the BMW to drive their little demons to Best Buy.

If they were my kids... they couldn't TOUCH my portables!!!! MINE!
    No, I think Maxlords is right here, Handhelds are still stuck in a land of "kiddy gaming". I've seen countless amounts of parents in game stores chose the Advance over the SP due to price.

Personally though, I cant wait for the PSP, I'd love to have one to play here at work. That would be pretty sweet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, I think Maxlords is right here, Handhelds are still stuck in a land of "kiddy gaming". I've seen countless amounts of parents in game stores chose the Advance over the SP due to price.
    this is so true,at the used cd store i work at parents almost always go for the gameboy color just to save money over buying an advance.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The video is indeed impressive. However, I do share Maxlord's thoughts and wonder how it really looks on the portable screen. The battery life too is a concern.

Honestly, I don't think that the price will be out of the range of most customers. Even if it is a little on the high-end, I don't think it will matter. The hardware durability won't be an issue for a while, and by that time, their market share might be quite considerable. It's got to be pretty bad for people to definitively know outright that this thing was made so poorly.

I agree with Raedon that kids are going to control the market here. There's no substitute to owning the newest toy/game. And, this has been Nintendo's strategy in the home market too.. Much cheaper than the PS2... what good did that do them?

I agree that Nintendo's DS is still a big unknown though. However, I already see an advantage here, if you read those programmers comments on that page, they mention how easy it is to port games over, how easy it is to program. This is going to allow them to get a significantly large number of launch titles out quickly. I think it's obvious that with the second screen, the DS won't be easier to program for.

I also wonder what Nintendo is going to do if the DS doesn't stand up? Do they bring out the GBA2? If they try that, they run the risk of pulling a Sega. Too many consoles in too short of a time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm

Personally though, I cant wait for the PSP, I'd love to have one to play here at work. That would be pretty sweet.
    That is because they are the same thing.. You won't see many (middle class white) parents buying GB colors? But they ARE cheaper. I'm not talking Flea market parents.

Choosing a Nintendo GBA over a different GBA isn't a no-brainer. Kids still get what they want. If they wanted a Sony then they get a Sony.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Arqueologia_Digital's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gamergary
    Looks nice but have to wait until I play it before I can have an opinion.
    I´m with Gamergary, the game looks cool, but i have to play it...

Matías

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The graphics are impressive, and are very fluid. The price point will be key to this thing.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them