Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanks DP...Searchable Database helps me make a find!

Pretzel (Level 4) Goodwill Hunter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Thanks DP...Searchable Database helps me make a find!

I've been playing with the new Databse Search (there in the upper left of your screen, you really should give it a try if you haven't yet) and have found it very fast, powerful and easy to use. Kudos to DP...if this is the beta, I can't wait for the real thing! Depending on what parameters you set, you can quickly generate an amazing variety of lists of information.

I naturally gravitated to the seach by rarity, and started going through the various systems I collect for. First thing I learned was that there aren't many 10's out there, escpecially for the newer systems. If you're going to do a "greater than or equal to" rarity search, I'd start with a 7. For the 32x, for example, a >=7 search only produces Spiderman Web of Fire.

Did an SNES rarity search at 9 or better, and found that only the 2 competition carts make that grade. Went down to 8, and four more carts came up...Chavez II, MBR/Speed Racer, Zero the Kamikazee Squirrel...wait a minute, Zero has been at a local game store for months, and I never gave it a second thought!

I rushed out to the store, sure that it would now be snatched up instantly after sitting there untouched for months. But it was still there, complete and in mint condition for $9.99...a game described as one of the hardest SNES games to find complete!

I never would have realized it if it wasn't for the new database. So thanks again DP...the new DB kicks ass!

Rich
    Tomorrow's Past is Yesterday's Future Today!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Problem is, and this was supposed to be fixed over a year ago, the SNES rarity was acknowledged as too high.

The Genesis version is the harder to find of the two, and the SNES version should have a rarity level of R5.

Here's the link:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/view...=zero+squirrel

and Portnoyd's quote:

Whoooops!

On further research, I got my wires crossed. The SNES version of Zero should be a R5, at $12. However, the Genesis version is the really rare one (due to comparison research I found 1 Genny Zero vs 8+ SNES Zeros, and I will talk to the Gen DP editors about it. Next time I get a revision in, it'll change. Sorry

dave

So, not to rain on your parade, but it seems as though the first flaw has been found with the database.

I hope that someone will fix it at this point. Misinformation costs money!!

Steve
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

DOH! lol... atleast u didnt pay over $12 for it lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Jeez. I was real happy for ya... I suppose I still am; R5 isn't too common. It's not a very fun game, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, it is definitely not that rare. It is a pretty awesome game, though, and I want it...
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by orrimarrko
    Problem is, and this was supposed to be fixed over a year ago, the SNES rarity was acknowledged as too high.
    That's probably my fault. With the installation of the online database I've been juggling online version / local version / book version in addition to trying to stay on top of 30 + editors' portable files. I think I'm back in sync with everything after this weekend's master database refresh, so the next time we load the online files, it should be corrected.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

there is absolutely no way this game is an R5, this game lies DEFINITELY R8 or minimum R7

with that being said try to find a complete copy

the issue in that post referenced above was discussed and after viewing all factors and evidence, The rarity on this title will remain until there can be provided evidence otherwise

Austin

Pretzel (Level 4) Goodwill Hunter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does this mean I qualify for credit as a bug tester in the final release?

Oh well,
    Rich
    Tomorrow's Past is Yesterday's Future Today!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

The quote in reference was from a thread a year ago, that ended without a resolve on the thread itself. I talked to Austin, who I work with on SNES, and we decided to leave things as they were. It wasn't changed because we decided not to change it at the time. Lapse of judgement on my part when I made that reply - I was fairly shocked I even said that back then!

dave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by D_N_G
    there is absolutely no way this game is an R5, this game lies DEFINITELY R8 or minimum R7

with that being said try to find a complete copy

the issue in that post referenced above was discussed and after viewing all factors and evidence, The rarity on this title will remain until there can be provided evidence otherwise

Austin
    You can certainly keep it at whatever rarity level you please, of course.

However, just so you know, I'm not a big SNES collector yet, but I found an absolutely flawless, MINT complete copy (and I do mean 100% complete) at a Gamestop for $4.99 on a random day. It was just sitting there with a couple of other MINT complete games. This was about a year or so ago.

Within the same week, at another Gamestop, I got the Genesis version - again complete, and in absolutely pristine condition. Price - $1.99. So I have both, as new as can be, just not sealed. Both combined cost less than $8.00. I wasn't even trying to look for them, but there they were.

In my humble opinion, if you are going to rate something as a R7 or R8, I shouldn't be able to find them, in basically new condition, at my local Gamestop.

Again, just my opinion.

Steve
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As a voice from the other side of the fence.

In all my years collecting , I've never even seen a loose copy of the Snes or Genesis version of Zero the Kamikazee Squirrel .

That makes it kind of rare in my book.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've played it, and seen it at friends house, but i've never found loose copies or complete copies anywhere in the wild
    My Collection:
    http://www.webspawner.com/users/atariman/index.html

My Want/Trade List
    http://www.webspawner.com/users/atariman2/index.html

Curren Totals:
    Games: 327
    Systems: 12

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Other members on this board (GoodWillHunter) should'nt be able to go to their local game store/Gamestop and Find a Donkey Kong Country Competition cart and a Starfox weekend cart in the same month. Guess we should rate the rarity there at 5 as well for each of those according to the logic you have provided.

Your case is an exception not the norm. Congratulations on the find of two of the most rare games for modern consoles. Also,Thank you for Your Opinion on the matter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In my humble opinion, if you are going to rate something as a R7 or R8, I shouldn't be able to find them, in basically new condition, at my local Gamestop.
    sorry but this is total *****, just think about it, even R9 are games that were actually produced and published, and every game that was published CAN BE FOUND, but the chances are very very low for the high rarities

here are the definitions forR6 to R9:

-6: We categorized these as ?items we?ve eventually found but had to give up something really good in a trade or paid good $$$ for it?.
    -7: RARE. A true collectible! Sevens and up represent the ?hardest? 25% of the games listed in this Guide.
    -8: We consider these the items you?ll never find by chance (except in those legendary lucky finds!). There are a few eights in this Guide that we haven?t gotten our grubby little hands on... yet.
    -9: The centerpiece of a collection make up the nines. If you ever hope to BUY one of these, prepare to write out a big check.

you already see the problem there, R6 is too much based on trade meets or whatever, you an always find a game cheap, heck, if you are lucky you'll find a DarXide for 3? on a flea, R7 is not really defined at all, R8 has a huge exception in it and R9 is again not very accurately defined

i know these are just guidelines but every game WAS released, you can't just say, well i found it, then it can't be higher than R6, that's bullshit
    -Jan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by hydr0x
    sorry but this is total *****, just think about it, even R9 are games that were actually produced and published, and every game that was published CAN BE FOUND, but the chances are very very low for the high rarities
    I have to be in total agreement here. Unfortunately a number of people lose faith in the DP database when they find something out on the far reaches of the bell curve. Regional differences can make a difference (i.e. southern Enlgand vs. the north).

On another note, this is why I've been loath to pretend I have any business helping out with rarity lists for import products...I feel the quality of the lists is high enough that I would hate to add information that would bring that quality down.

In any case, you should be using your own head for prices more than the guide, because it's good practice. 'sides, people become wary seeing you lug a price book around.

Quote Originally Posted by hydrox
    i know these are just guidelines but every game WAS released, you can't just say, well i found it, then it can't be higher than R6, that's bullshit
    Again, very true.

As for the price of this cart, consider that my local Goodwill charges less for a Model 2 SNES than it does (heavily used) Genesis 2 and used NES toasters. I found Pac-Man 2 for the same amount I found Platoon, RBI Baseball, Tecmo Bowl and other common NES titles. Places might have a general idea what to charge for different types of games, but they have to average out to catch all the expensive stuff they don't know the value for -- that or they don't even try (like Goodwill).

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Well now, THIS has become a rather interesting and lively thread, hasn't it?

Let me tell ya something. Doing this stuff for over ten years, I've seen thousands of these arguments. Usually they're between our team editors. Oddly enough, most of the combatants here ARE team editors, making this the first public dispute of a DP rarity rating. So welcome, everyone, to my world.

I'm not much of a SNES collector, I have all the games I want but haven't even begun to work out the details of completing the collection. Still, I've never seen Zero the Kamikazee Squirrel "in the wild". I can also say that Portnoyd and D_N_G really know their stuff in this regard, they spend a great deal of time studying the trends of the system. Does that mean their rating matches yours? No. Does it mean that their rating is in general going to be accurate, taking into account a national audience? I'm 100% certain.

It's not easy. I constantly challenge our editors on their numbers, and with our contract with Manci Games, even more so now. NO guide is the bible, as we clearly state on all of our products (even in the FAQ when you use the online database) and numbers change over time - from my experience, they get more solid after about 15 years of a systems' demise, which puts SNES in that "ripening" period. Our upcoming book will NO DOUBT have scores of challenges, and will NO DOUBT need rarity values changed just weeks after its release, but that's the nature of the beast. It's why we've stuck to older systems for so long. It's why we do a book every two years.

Anyway, that's my random thought. Nothing new, but always welcome - feedback regarding your experiences vs. ours are all taken into account. I'd be very suprised if Portnoyd and D_N_G haven't already done a perimeter search on that game today, including all of their 'net resources and contacts and even then... even THEN... consider the change from an "8" to a "7".

OK that's all from me for now. Carry on!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress

Anyway, that's my random thought. Nothing new, but always welcome - feedback regarding your experiences vs. ours are all taken into account. I'd be very suprised if Portnoyd and D_N_G haven't already done a perimeter search on that game today, including all of their 'net resources and contacts and even then... even THEN... consider the change from an "8" to a "7".

OK that's all from me for now. Carry on!
    talking about net resources, does anyone here know a free tool for Ebay Analysis ?? i know of the "real" programs but i'm not willing to pay money on this. it would help me a bit to decide on some dreamcast rarities as almost 90% of all dc games in circulation are offered on ebay
    -Jan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I don't mean to add fuel to the fire, but I'm pretty certain that I also saw Kamikaze at a GameStop within the past 6 weeks. As a matter of fact, the only reason I'm not 100% sure is all of this talk about its rarity.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm totally with DNG on this one. As a person who had owned 3000+ SNES titles, it wasn't in the mix of games I owned until I bought it off of ebay. This game was one of the last ones that I needed to get. The rating is quite accurate at an 8. If you find this in the wild, complete, you are very lucky.

On a side note, I got to meet Rich today and see his collection. What a nice guy and cool collection! That gave me some good ideas for setting up my own. I'm looking forward the midwest classic in May to see you there!

I also had the chance to see the game in question and it looks like brand new, it is beautiful and a great snag for $10!

Danny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by D_N_G
    Other members on this board (GoodWillHunter) should'nt be able to go to their local game store/Gamestop and Find a Donkey Kong Country Competition cart and a Starfox weekend cart in the same month. Guess we should rate the rarity there at 5 as well for each of those according to the logic you have provided.
    Austin - your point is well taken. Perhaps my example wasn't the best, but it was grounded in reality. Rare or not, I wasn't even looking for them, but found them without even trying. Since then, I haven't even tried to find them.

However, your arguement is flawed. It is factual that both Competition carts were limited releases (2500 or so on the average.) Finding one in the wild doesn't change that, and thus would be R9 level games regardless of where you find them. I would hardly categorize Zero in the same sentence with those two games, and yet, we are for some reason.

My original reply was to refer to Portnoyd's post regarding the error in Rarity for the SNES. If you two have since discussed it and changed your mind, so be it. I can honestly give a crap less, I just want the number to be accurate.

The original number was an R8, then it went to R7 (on the listing from a while ago), Dave's post said it should be a R5, and now it's back to an R8.??

So, you can obviously understand that this is somewhat confusing. Again, I don't care what the rarity level is - the higher, the better for me - great!

By the way, Hydrox - you don't have to spell out the rarity "definitions" like I'm some kind of NOOB. I know how this works, but EBAY isn't the end-all, be-all for sources of information.

I live in Texas. The first WEEK that I printed off the DP guide for SNES, I went to my local game stores. I found AND bought THREE copies of CHAVEZ II (all loose, and in good condition.) I kept one, sold one to Cheesy (on this board) and traded the other to you Hydrox!!

So, it's a rarity level of R8. Not where I live. My whole point about this is that location and regionality have SO much to do with finding a title in the wild. Rare for you may not be rare for me, depending on where I live. EBAY doesn't reflect that at all.

I'm not knocking Austin or Dave or Danny or anyone else who takes the time to do the work - let me make that perfectly clear.

I know that rarity levels are somewhat subjective. Accuracy is all I care about. If the generally accepted rating for Zero is an R8 for SNES, cool. There just shouldn't be any confusion, that's all.