Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: I HATE "GREATEST HITS"!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I actually appreciate Greatest Hits titles, for several reasons:

1. If you're actually collecting GH variants (like I am) when you seperate them from the original releases on a shelf, you get the overall picture of what that particular system's audience was. The results are often quite amusing. For example:

Nintendo GH: Almost always all Nintendo quality games, with other big calibur games like RE4 and Baiton Kaitos.

PlayStationOne GH: Quality Games like FF7 and Crash Bandicoot sitting next to turds to Dukes of Hazzard and WCW Nitro...

2. Working retail, it's always an eye catcher. No less that 2 people every other day ask me what the difference between the GH box and the original are. When I explain what the GH means, the customer wants to know what they're missing out on. It may look sucky on a shelf, but it really helps drives sales.

3. If you push it even further, companies can get REALLY creative in their marketing. Microsoft now has the "Best of" Platinum Hits. $9.99 games going up against $19.99 games will suddenly get customers to look over at your cheaper prices. I've sold more CounterStrikes and Fuzion Frezy games than other titles in the GH category.

Now granted, some color choices may suck (bright yellow?) but I do like Microsoft's Silver, and the original PSone's green was a nice compliment to the black.

4. Greatest Hits make the original look even better. Case in point:

Had the Dragonball GT re-release had the GH banner, most collector's would not have cursed spending the $$$ on the original one when they can have the same black label re-release for $15.

Jason

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The greatest hits versions don't bother me that much, but then again I'm more of a gamer than collector. But being an avid comic collector I can understand the want for the original.

I just want to play the games, so I don't really care about the box, though if I'm going to buy a game and the GH and non GH versions are available at the same price I will get the non GH.

Lately though GH versions have been getting added content, so I wonder if this will change peoples minds, or just make them hate them more because now the better version has the stupid banner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chronogamer
    PSN
    Mekrabad

Quote Originally Posted by slip81
    Lately though GH versions have been getting added content, so I wonder if this will change peoples minds, or just make them hate them more because now the better version has the stupid banner.
    Yeah, I had a good chuckle over all the collectors who would be "conflicted" when they found out "Fable: The Lost Chapters" did not have a non-platinum release.

"Added content but with the platinum banner? Uh . . . ." *gurk*gurk*twitch*twich*
    Chronogamer. Every game. Chronologically.
    Latest entry 31 March 2010
    I have forgotten to feed my fish...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man this is a long topic. I know Joe and how he collects, so I can see why he hates Greatest Hits. Me, I'm just a gamer. I don't care if it's orignal or not, as long as it is cheap and I can play it. End-of-line
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I seek strength, not to be greater than by brother, but to fight my greatest enemy - myself!"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Ozyr's Odyssey2 Archive!