Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Final Fantasy X-Stupid

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally, I'm extremely excited. I've always wanted to continue the adventures of the FF characters I've grown to know after I've beaten each game (except perhaps FFVIII and Squeal...errr...Squall), and never been able to. FINALLY I'll be able to follow-up a FF with a sequel that tells what happens after you save the world. It's a bonus that it just happens to be a sequel to my 2nd favorite FF yet (after FFVI of course...Tritoch's an esper!).

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FF10 is your second favorite? Not FF7 or FF9?

FF7 *did* say what happened after you saved the world. Remember the end credits where it says, "500 years later" and shows Red13 and kids inspecting the repaired damage where the meteorite hit? i.e. Everything worked out great!

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Not really..never showed what happened to Cloud, Tifa or anyone else!
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Final Fantasy X-Stupid

[quote="WiseSalesman"]...since when does square continue a storyline after the game is over?[quote]

ff 1 & 2 (famicom) were one continued story. we never got the second part. in fact, ff2 & 3 are the only two u.s. fans haven't seen released here. what pisses ME off is squaresoft has done ff 1-4, front mission, hanjuku hero, a couple of chocobo games, romancing saga and a new saga rpg, and a couple of other games for the wonderswan (!) in japan, and have no intention of bringing them out here at all. not that the ws would survive a day against the gba, but if these games were ported to the system or resources put toward redoing some of these for the ps2 or game cube, some of us wouldn't be sick of hearing about YET another ff game...

square is most likely afraid to try something new, in respect to introducing different types of rpgs to ff fans. based on the reactions some of their other games have gotten from hardheaded ff diehards, it's no wonder. from working in a game shop, i've heard folks call vagrant story "boring", front mission 3 "a rip off of tactics", and threads of fate "too silly"...

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theaveng

FF7 *did* say what happened after you saved the world. Remember the end credits where it says, "500 years later" and shows Red13 and kids inspecting the repaired damage where the meteorite hit? i.e. Everything worked out great!
    My order of preference (because I know you ALL care):

Final Fantasy VI
    Final Fantasy X
    Final Fantasy VII
    Final Fantasy IV
    Final Fantasy IX
    Final Fantasy I
    Final Fantasy VIII

I thought FFVII was too much of a departure from the series when it first came out, but the more I look back on it the more I realize how great it was. If it didn't force you to be stuck in Midgar (my least favorite part) for so long it'd probably be #2. FFIX was a fun "return to it's roots" kind of game, but it never really moved me the way the others did. I go into every RPG looking to be touched and moved emotionally, whether it be sadness (Aeris), pure joy & fun (Skies of Arcadia), or to tears. IV and I were too far behind the technology curve (my first RPG was Chrono Trigger) for me to fully appreciate them once I played them. VIII was too drawn out, the summons were too long, the plot was plodding, and Squall was a character I just couldn't like. I plan on re-playing FFVIII one day when I get the time though, because it's possible I was just burned out on FF by then.

I've never played FF II, III, or V (other than a few minutes via emulation).

I'm talking about a full-blown sequel that brings back most of the characters in an all-new adventure, not a blurb tacked onto the end of the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

FF2 for the NES is a depature from how we know FF to me really mainly cause the battle system is alot different. Mainly your characters weapons and armor are the same in the game- they get stronger as you make kills on enemies or get hit by enemy attacks.

FF3 for the NES is old school FF at it's finest and introduces the job system, the Cid and other FF elements we know now and love.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Final Fantasy X-Stupid

[quote="geelw"][quote="WiseSalesman"]...since when does square continue a storyline after the game is over?

ff 1 & 2 (famicom) were one continued story. we never got the second part.

Ahhh! Now I understand why Square released as FF1 & 2 bundle in Japan. (It uses updated PS2 sprite graphics.) They would naturally go together. Now if Square would just bring these FF1/2 "Special Edition" games over here, we could all be happy!

Troy
    TROY'S GAMING HISTORY
    1977- Atari 2600 (primitive)
    1985- Commodore=128 (8-bit)
    1989- Amiga 500 (16-bit)
    1991- zzzzzzzzzzz :scatter:
    2002- Playstation 2 (128-bit)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

FF1 and 2 for the Famicom really had nothing to do with each other...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Actually...

Kaine's right, the two games have nothing to do with each other. I mean, unless there's some reference to the Hikari no Senshi tucked somewhere in FF2. And I don't think there is.

So, why did Square release FF1&2? Because the series was getting very popular and there weren't enough used copies of the original games to go around. So they shoved them both on to one oversized (as in dimensions) cart, included a strategy guide in the box, and there ya go. It was released in 1994 and was one of the last big Famicom games. Certainly Square's last.

I believe Square's Wonderswan support has all but officially stopped now that they're on the Game Boy Advance. And... do you really think they WON'T bring FF1 and 2 to the GBA? Come on now... I bet the PS1 games will come to the US too, but they'll probably wait until FF3 comes out as well. Not that it's been announced... but do you really think they won't? ^_^

Oh, and just so I stay on topic, yes, FFX-2 does sound like a silly idea and does end the series' long-running tradition. But hell, it'll probably be a decent game. And I like Yuna's pants. Maybe they'll give Rikku a similar redesign, although I fail to see how she could look any MORE like a jailbait sex toy than she did in the first game. At least this game takes place 2 years in the future so she's 17 and I don't have to feel QUITE so bad about myself.
    Chris Kohler

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not talking about a FF1 & 2 cart. I'm talking about a PS2 DVD with enhanced graphics. It will be released in Japan shortly and looks really awesome (for 2D).

Rikku was 15 in FF10? I guessed 13 or 14. So, Rikku and Yuna are almost the same age. (I didn't feel guilty about admiring Rikku. A female with breasts IS a woman... I don't care what the law says.)
    Troy
    TROY'S GAMING HISTORY
    1977- Atari 2600 (primitive)
    1985- Commodore=128 (8-bit)
    1989- Amiga 500 (16-bit)
    1991- zzzzzzzzzzz :scatter:
    2002- Playstation 2 (128-bit)

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd like to thankyou for spoiling the ending of this game for me by hitting you several times in the face. With a pick-axe. Next time, write

SPOILERS

before revealing the ending of a game, or next time you mention you are playing a game, I will e-mail the ending of it so many times that it will fill your inbox and crashes your hosts server.[/b]
    Conform. Consume. Obey.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally, I feel that the whole post-SNES FF series is complete shite. Now, keep in mind that I haven't played FFX yet, as I don't feel any desire to buy it after playing 7, 8, and 9 and hating every one of them with a burning passion. I played thru FF 1, FF 4, FF5, and FF6 and I loved them all, but I felt that the whole series took a wrong turn after it's move to the PSX. It's all flash and no substance. Now, the plots weren't great in the SNES ones, but they had their bits of excitement, such as the opera and the sad fates of the twins in FF4.

But once the series moved to PSX, the stories took a backseat. FFVII was boring, pure and simple. I was a big FF fan then, so I got it and played it, thinking "Oh, it'll pick up". Sure it was pretty and the summons were kinda cool, but most of the time I was wandering around bored waiting for stuff to happen. And there was a LOT of wandering! And then I figured, well, they were just nuts when they made FFVII, so VIII will be better! WRONG! I hated FFVIII even more, as the story was barely coherent, the main character was an angsty bitch, and the game was long, but TEDIOUS! So I say, ok, no more FFs! Then FFIX comes out with the "Crystals come back!" tagline! I think to myself, "Cool! A return to the original FF style! Elemental bosses, crystals, fantasy!" But no, no damned crystals at all, a lame plot, and the same tediousness of FFVII and FFVIII! Ok, one bloody crystal shows up at the very end, but that sure as HELL doesn't justify the adverts! Anyway, now that I've been burned 3 times by square, I've simply lost interest in any of their games. I didn't buy FFX and probably won't, and I couldn't care less about anything new they put out unless its a wide departure from the FF series/style. I did like Vagrant Story and FF Tactics, however, so I MIGHT give Square a chance again someday, but probably not much of one. I've just lost the taste for where their games are going.

And before you mention Kingdom Hearts, I must say, I despise Disney as well, so I don't want anything to do with that game either!

</two cents worth>

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's not necessary to put Spoiler Warnings on a game that's 5 years old. Jeez. I guess you want me to not tell you the ~60-yr-old movie with Citizen Kane's final words "Rosebud" refer to his childhood sled???

I can understand putting spoiler warnings on new games like FF10, but not everything. Otherwise, EVERY message on this board would have a spoiler warning. The rule in TV newsgroups is that anything older than a year does not require a warning. The same rule should apply here for games.

SPOILER FOR STAR TREK 2 (just in case you're a total loser who hasn't seen it yet... even though its been out 20 fucking years!!!):

Spock dies.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

err, thanks.

Impeccable timing, theaveng. I had literally just borrowed a copy of "Citizen Kane" from a friend, after seeing it made number one on a certain "Top 100 Movies" list on the 'net, and was going to watch it later tonite or tomorrow. Is there even any point in seeing it anymore?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Spock.... Died in part 2????

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Um.

theaveng: Okay, I just checked back and that is indeed what you are referring to. Of course, you're a little off. Square's releasing FF1 and FF2 this Thursday, the 31st, for the Playstation 1, not 2. The games are nearly identical to the Wonderswan Color remakes, except for new CG movies at the beginning (and end?) of each. The games will be sold seperately for 3800 yen each, or together in a "Premium Package" with little Lego-like figures of Fighter, Black Mage, and Red Mage for 7800 yen. The two-disc soundtrack came out on the 23rd and the music sounds even nicer than the new graphics look...

WiseSalesman: That was quite bad timing, yes, but if you think the only reason to watch a film is to find out how it ends...
    Chris Kohler

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's not necessary to put Spoiler Warnings on a game that's 5 years old.
    This is a Classic Gaming Board, meaning that the majority of people here will have some interest in classic games and will be playing through many of those which they never got to play the first time around, often under the reccomendation of others on the board, thus the game is new to that person and the ending is just as important to them as the ending of any new game, irrespective of the age of the game.

I can understand putting spoiler warnings on new games like FF10, but not everything.
    Why?!, what makes FF10's story more important than one of the older FF games, it can't be age because that certainly doesn't dictate the quality of a game's storyline. To a person who hasn't played the older game and the newer game but who wishes to, other than personal preference there is nothing to place a higher value on either of the games ending and thus unmarked spoilers on either would be equally damaging, thus spoilers regarding key storyline elements or game endings should always be marked.

Ruining the ending of a old game / movie for someone who hasn't played it is exactly the same as ruining the ending of a new game / Movie.

The rule in TV newsgroups is that anything older than a year does not require a warning. The same rule should apply here for games.
    This is not a TV Newsgroup, this is a Classic Gaming Board, you don't make the rules and you should be mature enough to respect the rights of others to choose whether or not they want to read spoilers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Besides, by now most gamers may know of the strengths and weaknesses of the nes, snes, psx and ps2 FF titles also.