Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dreamcast DVD: Why did Sega not release it?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And why did sega never release a master system with cd capabilites? What year was the cd invented? 1982 or something? Right on time! They could have EASILY beat the nes that way. Just think of the posibillities! 650 mb could hold over 2000 games on it!!! Sega would have ruled the world if only they were smarter at that time.

it's so sad

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moycon
    *sigh*
    Yeah yer right dude, It's all so clear now that you pointed out it was a dvd you purchased and not a player. Man I wish you had been in charge of Sega. The Dreamcast would still be around today (prolly #1) and with an awesome DVD player built in ta boot. Sega sucks. theaveng is the smartest guy ever!!!

You can tell when someone's lost an argument when they resort to attacking the person. It's called "grasping at straws."

Troy

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM
    @theaveng: Don't think 1999 for Dreamcast. It first hit gamer's hands in 1998.

98? Well that's a horse of another color. That's 2 years difference between DC and PS2, and a much bigger difference in price too. I can understand why Sega couldn't use DVD.

Thank you Yoshi for debating on the facts with me, and correcting my errors in a friendly manner, rather than insulting me. YOSHI has shown he's a mature adult.

Troy

P.S. The step between CDs and Records is a lot bigger than CD to DVD. DVDs are basically the same as CDs, just larger storage. The circa 1982 transition from records to CDs was a *whole new technology.* So, Arrrhalomynn's comment "why did sega never release a master system with cd capabilites [in 1982]?" is not really applicable to this discussion about Dreamcast DVD.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theaveng
    Thank you Yoshi for debating on the facts with me, and correcting my errors in a friendly manner, rather than insulting me. YOSHI has shown he's a mature adult.
    Whereas with that petty little statement you've once again shown that you're not..

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Troy, of course my master system cd wasn't seriously possible. I only used it to ridicule your idea of a dreamcast dvd. It's ironic, or sarcasm or whatever.
    You don't even know what YEAR the dreamcast was released, but still you think you know better than SEGA itself.
    Maybe it's a smart idea to open topics about subjects you know about instead of making a fool of yourself over and over again.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is impossible to know everything. THAT'S why I started this topic. TO LEARN. If you can't handle that, then don't become a tutor or teacher.

YOU were the one who said "DC came out in 99" so maybe YOU should brush up on your history *first* before you start criticizing me. You're not flawless either.

ADVICE: Attack ideas NOT people. That's the mark of maturiy.

Troy

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember reading a long, long time ago on Seganet's web page that Sega had licensed Duck Motion's software DVD player for the DC. Maybe they didn't need to release a hardware unit because they were planning on releasing a software solution, like Power DVD for the PC. Duck Motion did the MPEG 1 video compression software for the Saturn used on Fighting Vipers and others. I also remember there being a successful Sega promotion in Europe where you could get a DC and a DVD player for the same price that the PS2 was selling for. I don't know why they didn't try that in North America.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wait...... Dreamcast DID come out in 99....... That was their big add, "9/9/99............. It's Thinking....", remember........

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, it came out here on 9/9/99. It had been out for a year in Japan already.