Thread: Gamestop info in the Columbus OH area

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Gamestop info in the Columbus OH area

I did some calling around this morning...there are around 7-8 Gamestops in the Columbus area...each one "used" to carry NES, Genesis, SNES games..

I called two stores and they told me the same thing, every store in the area sent their games to the W. Broad Street store..... If you are in the area and need directions, do the store locator on their site, look for the "Soldano Avenue" store

I went there today, they seem to have a little bit more room in the store than the other gamestops, and sure enough, there were 3 big bins packed with Nes, Genesis, and mostly SNES, tons of SNES

I picked up some NES games, which were mostly pretty common, but someone might find something they need.

I'm finding it interesting that Gamestop may not even be sending games to stores that do the most retro business, but stores that have the most room?

If any Gamestop employees, or friends of employees, or great uncles of employees have any info in what they are doing, I'm interested

Also, any one in the Cleveland area know what stores are getting the games there? I visit sometimes, my gf's parents live there

By all means, turn me into a child star.... Perhaps I can move to Californ-i-ay and wrangle me a three-way with the Olsen twins

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I found that out too. Bigger = more retro stuff.

Theres a store in Mentor, across the street from Great Lakes Mall, that still carries older stuff, cause it's bigger.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Dang it Stewie...you weren't supposed to find my secret cache. Although, I really don't go to that one very often...I don't find myself on the westside very often. Which also makes me want to put out a signal and see if JDLlama is hiding around here anywhere...last I heard from him, he was working at that GameStop.

I am sad to report that my favorite "source" went out of business. The Trading Zone in Marysville is gone, don't know when it left...all I know is, I don't have a place to buy 32X games anymore
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23
    I am sad to report that my favorite "source" went out of business. The Trading Zone in Marysville is gone, don't know when it left...all I know is, I don't have a place to buy 32X games anymore
    There is a Trading Zone on Bethel in the old Big Bear Plaza next to Sawmill...but the last time I went by on a Friday, they had the place closed up, I haven't called them to see if they are closed as well. I made some nice trades there for NES stuff
    By all means, turn me into a child star.... Perhaps I can move to Californ-i-ay and wrangle me a three-way with the Olsen twins

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

It's still open, went there today. Tons of boxes all sitting around...probably old stock from the other store. Saw all kinds of stuff I wanted, but the one guy they had working had no clue what anything cost or if it was going to be sold at all...

And all their Atari / Intellivision etc. stuff seems to be gone. They still have 3 full cases of overpriced NES games though...

I actually like that store, but feel like their prices are just too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here in Portland, OR, the last time I checked, every Gamestop that sold NES, SNES, and Genesis stuff hasn't moved their stock to another store. And some of these stores are smaller than others. In fact, one Software Etc. that still has those games is located in a mall that is less than 7-10 blocks away from a Gamestop that still has their stuff as well!

I don't know anyone at Gamestop though, so I don't know if they eventually are going to move the carts to bigger stores here or what.

Sure, Portland isn't Columbus, OH, but I find this interesting that nothing in Portland has been moved.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSpace
    Sure, Portland isn't Columbus, OH, but I find this interesting that nothing in Portland has been moved.
    Yeah, it's just wierd sometimes how these companies treat every area differently

Gamestop basically bites...but its a good place to get a bunch of common stuff at a decent price, and once in a while you might get a find, I got my Princess Tomato NES cart there

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23

I actually like that store, but feel like their prices are just too high.
    I've never actually "bought" anything there

I took in a bunch of Genesis, SNES, and NES extras I didn't want, and they guy who usually works there during the week, gave me very good trade value on them. I got a ton of harder to find NES games there... , Space Shuttle, Toki, Young Indana Jones, etc

My trades always ended up about even, so I only really had to pay tax, a lot better than trading them in at Game Crazy or Gamestop

I would definitely never pay cash for anything there though

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

They do give good trade value...I will give them that, although I never trade anything. Except once when I wanted to dump some PS2 games I hated...EB was going to give me $11 in trade, they gave me $37...of course, since they sell at much higher prices...I still had to pay a bit to get Super Monkey Ball 2

When they had older stuff, I'd get that...especially when the owner got sick of seeing it all there, and sold me a bunch of boxed Intellivision games for 99 cents apiece

Today I just walked around, said meh...and left, nothing interesting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie
    Gamestop basically bites...but its a good place to get a bunch of common stuff at a decent price, and once in a while you might get a find, I got my Princess Tomato NES cart there
    I found Fun 'N Games and Dino City, both for SNES, at Gamestop stores.

The prices for some of the common games are decent, but usually, when I come across a common game at Gamestop, I note the price and check elsewhere. If Gamestop has the cheapest price, I come back and buy it there.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.