Before I became a "retro gamer" in late May of 2003, I was a early adopter. I was always looking forward to the next big thing. Always looking forward to the release of the next gaming super system. And when they finally did show up, I was there on day one with cash in hand. I always wanted to experience the latest and greatest on the very first day.

Here are some of the systems that I bought on their very first day of availability:

Super Nintendo
Sega CD
Atari Jaguar
Sega 32X
Sega Saturn
Sony Playstation
Nintendo 64
Sega Dreamcast
PS2
XBOX
GameCube

I bought everyone of those systems on the first day of release. Quite a little streak if I say so myself.

But unfortunately that streak is going to come to an end.

Why?

Well, the fact that I've gone "retro" is a huge factor of why I'm not going to buy on launch. I just don't have the same passion for the newest technology anymore. I'm still going to be very interested, and excited, about the new systems when they get here. But I'm just not going to be that excited, where I'm willing to spend 400 plus bucks in one freaking day.

I think when the XBOX came out, I spent like $550 total cash on that first day. I got the system, a bunch of games, and some accessories, and next thing you know the total was like $568.43.

Had I not gone "retro", I'm sure that I would be in line with everybody else on launch day for XBOX 2, PS3 and GameCube 2.

But after going retro, I just can't fathom spending that much cache on a new video game system. I've grown accustomed to playing $20 to $50 for these older systems. And paying $2 to $20 for the games. So it's just going to be extremely difficult for me to fork over such serious cash. Especially, when I would be thinking about how many old classic games and stuff that it could possibly buy me.

That's one of the reasons that I don't have a PS2 right now. I bought one the day it came out, but ended up selling it later on down the road because I was dissapointed in it's performance at the time. I wouldn't mind having one again, but until I stumble upon a used one for $75 or less, I doubt I will get one. I just don't have that level of enthusiasm any more for the new crap.

However, I will be very interested in the new stuff. I'm sure I will spend a few days at my buddies homes checking out the new wares. I have a number of friends that are hard core early adopters and they never went retro like me. In fact, they think I'm crazy. I can guarantee that they will have a XBOX 2, PS3 and GameCube 2 the moment they are available. So I'm going to just have to check them out over at their house.

I am curious to see how these new systems are going to be. Especially how they take advantage of HDTV's. I really feel that the next big thing in gaming is going to be a

REVOLUTION IN RESOLUTION

HDTV"s continue to have their prices drop, and by late 2006 when these systems hit the scene, the prices will be even lower and lower. More and more people will have Widescreen HDTV's in their houses. I'm sure that Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo are very aware of this, and I'm sure that their next machines will take full and total advantage of Widescreen and HDTV resolutions and the latest in Dolby Digital sound. I'm definitely curious to check that out. But does that mean I will be taking a trip to a ATM machine on launch day?

Unfortunately no. Since 1991 I've bought just about every single system on launch day (except the 3DO) and in late 2005 or late 2006, the streak will be broken. In a way it's kinda sad. Launch days were always really special times. But hey, that's the way it goes.