Thread: The trials and tribulations of Getting a PS2 online

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shupirate

Default The trials and tribulations of Getting a PS2 online

If anyone has experience setting up their PS2 online (especially using Comcast Cable NJ) please please reply

I recently purchased my Network Adapter for my PS2 and plan to have it and my XBOX both online through my Cable Service. I understand that I have to buy a Router to connect my consoles. Here is where I ran into my woes. I ordered a reputable brand (Linksys)Network Everywhere 4-Port Cable/DSL Router . After placing my order and feeling rather good about myself I proceeded to check some newsgroups on how to setup the router and my PS2. I found out that this model router is incompatible with the microphone used for Socom. It was too late ot cancel the order. So that one will be returned. So I placed a second order for the recommended model or at least the one that everyone on the newsgroup uses: Linksys 4-Port Cable/DSL Router Model: BEFSR41. According to others already online this model works great on both the PS2 and XBOX, I think one guy is a beta tester for XBOX LIVE and uses the BEFSR41 Model.

Anyway, it seems there is alot of confusion over setting up your highspeed connection to your console.
    Does you isp you PPoE?
    Does it use DHCP?
    Is the IP Static?
    What is the IP Address?
    Submask Name?
    Gateway?
    Primary DNS?
    Secondary DNS?
    Do you use need to use a password?
    What is the host name?

As I wait for my Router to arrive, these are the questions I ponder ?

I think I will try the automatic settings first and hope that magically these questions are all answered for me. But somehow I don't think so.
    I called my cable company to begin to gather this information , only to be told that they don't support routers?

Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill? or are others as confused as I am.
    thanks
    Dustin

by the way:
    I actually just wrote up this experience and submitted it to Game Informer just to see if they print it.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Setting up a Linksys box is quite easy IMO. Your service provider should be able to provide you with any info you need. You go to the default IP and tweak a couple settings voila. There are always possible cinflicts though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought consoles were supposed to be easy to set up?

What you are describing is exactly the learning curve I went through setting up hi speed sharing on my computer LAN 3 years ago.

Best of luck, and I will watch how this turns out for you with great interest. Please keep us informed.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it took me 2 minutes to get online with the ps2. i have that same router you ordered, and i just plugged everything in and all the settings were done automatically. same thing last year when i used a usb to ethernet adaptor to play tony hawk 3 online. all i had to do was open a couple ports on the router. simple.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

As long as we're on the subject, what do I have to do to get the PS2 online with a 56K modem? Yes, my parents are cheap.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm with Butta on this one, I got my linksys router, hooked everything up, turned it on, and everything was detected automatically. I'm not even paying my Cable company the $10 a month extra because they didn't detect it (Screw em, $45 a month is MORE than enough)
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm with both of you. I have a cheap D-Link 4 port, and everything with it detected automatically as well. My biggest problem with it was getting the crappy admin software set up on my PC.

I'm not paying the cable company a cent more either.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Yashiro
    As long as we're on the subject, what do I have to do to get the PS2 online with a 56K modem? Yes, my parents are cheap.
    why bother?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by congobongo
    why bother?
    Um, because, like Capt Yashiro was trying to say, not everyone has broadband access, yet still wants to get online! Imagine that!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by punkoffgirl
    why bother?
    Um, because, like Capt Yashiro was trying to say, not everyone has broadband access, yet still wants to get online! Imagine that!
    I say "why bother" because next gen systems are useless with 56k dialup unless you are going to play some kind of turn-based strategy game. If you're not willing to get broadband, don't bother going online. Simple as that. I know I wouldn't want to play against you.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by punkoffgirl
    why bother?
    I say "why bother" because next gen systems are useless with 56k dialup unless you are going to play some kind of turn-based strategy game. If you're not willing to get broadband, don't bother going online. Simple as that. I know I wouldn't want to play against you.
    A lot of people are willing to get broadband, but can't. Not that it should be a requisite to playing online in the first place, and not that your comment is actually accurate in any way.

You never played a Dreamcast online, did you? Almost every genre was handled very well with it's 56k modem. And before you pull the "it's not next-gen" argument, the amount of data being sent doesn't change that much from platform to platform...just genre to genre. It's not like the actual graphics are transmitted online or anything.

And for the record, I have broadband and love it.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Your right, I own a dreamcast but never played online. I have experienced 56k online gaming on my PC with games like Deus Ex and know that I can't handle the lag. As SOCOM and XBox live have show is that voice will be an iportant part of online console gaming. Voice communications on 56k while playing an FPS? I could be wrong but I suspect it would suck.