Thread: Turbo Duo questions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Turbo Duo questions.

Thinking of getting a turbo duo, which seems like a happy alternative to a tg16+sys3+cdrom. i don't even have a tg16.

i'm having a little trouble understanding the compatability. i know cd games can be played on all the systems (assuming you have syscard3), but the duo itself, does it play japanese hucards or us ones (i guess i want to play us hucard games)? what's the difference between the white duo and the black one? did they ever even make a duo here in the us? anything else i should know?

and lastly, although there looks to be tons of games i'd like to play for the system...is it worth the $150-200?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Turbo Duo questions.

A PC Engine Duo (the Japanese one) plays all region CDs, as well as Jp huCards.

A Turbo Duo (US version) plays all region CDs, as well as US huCards.

The white Duo (of which there are also 2 versions) is called either a Duo-R or a Duo-RX. Those two ar ethe economy Japanese ones. They have less gadgets and were made a bit cheaper. They still cost the same as a PC Engine Duo and do the same thing.

There was no white Duo in the US.

You should know that even with a Duo, you will need an Arcade Card Duo to play Japanese Arcade Card games (of which there are not many) and the Arcade Card only works on the US Duo with a convertor. You should also know that no Duo plays Supergrafx games (of which there are 6).

Finally...yes, if you like platformers, shooters, great action and adventure games....the Duo is WELL worth having

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by whoisKeel
    Thinking of getting a turbo duo, which seems like a happy alternative to a tg16+sys3+cdrom. i don't even have a tg16.

i'm having a little trouble understanding the compatability. i know cd games can be played on all the systems (assuming you have syscard3), but the duo itself, does it play japanese hucards or us ones (i guess i want to play us hucard games)? what's the difference between the white duo and the black one? did they ever even make a duo here in the us? anything else i should know?

and lastly, although there looks to be tons of games i'd like to play for the system...is it worth the $150-200?
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He's right... my retrogaming obsession started with a Duo I picked up for $99 new at EB in like 1994... it was, and still is, a unique and phenomenal videogaming experience. The TG is much like the Vectrex in that you just can't duplicate the VIBE. You have to experience it to get it.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Your best bet is to get a PC-Engine Duo/Duo-R/Duo-RX and a regular US TG16. This is the best of both worlds. The PC-Engine allows you to play all CDs (Arcade CDs if you buy an Arcade Card) and Jap Hucards. The TG16 will allow you to play US Hucards. The only games you won't be able to play are SuperGrafx games. There's only like 5 or 6 games out for that anyways.

Another option is to buy a US Turbo Duo and have it modded to play Jap Hucards as well. A fellow forum member, D-Lite, does it for $50 and I hear his work is really good. Check out this thread:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/view...ighlight=turbo

I am not sure if you can save Jap games on a modded US Turbo Duo.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

or, if you don't have a Duo, I think D-Lite has some that he can sell should he still have stock left. I recommend giving him a PM about it. The man rocks more than you can imagine.

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AdamG
    or, if you don't have a Duo, I think D-Lite has some that he can sell should he still have stock left. I recommend giving him a PM about it. The man rocks more than you can imagine.

-AG
    thanks for the kind words folks

I'm a Turbo fanbwois! Duo's for everyone!