Thread: Found a dead Double Dragon arcade game today...

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Found a dead Double Dragon arcade game today...

....yep, dead as a doornail. At least it was free.
    The cab. is kinda rough, but I've seen worse but the marquee is all there and the art is pretty well intact. But, like I said this game is dead. All the wiring looks pretty good and actually looks almost new once you go deep inside the thing. Is there anywhere on the net where I can look up howto repair guides or something? The board "looked" ok on the surface, but I just don't know. I don't even know where I would begin to look.
    I have anotherarcade game already (The Final Round) in my collection. I was lucky enough to have it working before I bought it, so I never really delved too far into the guts of the thing. So I'm still pretty new to this area of gaming.

Thanks for whatever help you can give.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If nothing happens at all when you try to power it up, check that power supply. It's definitely replaceable, if not repairable.

I know nothing of the innards of arcade PSU's, so someone else should jump in and help. I'm curious.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If its a bad power supply, it's usually easier/cheaper to replace the supply entirely with a new one (assuming that the cab doesnt use wacky voltages like many older games do). Unless it's something unique, it's easier to just toss and replace, like PC power supplies... or hamsters

If nothing, not even the monitor or marquee/coin lights come on, no buzz from speaker, etc., then check (and clean) the main fuse(s) and power supply fuses. Check connections from AC plug to line filter (if present), line filter to iso transformer, and xformer to power supply & monitor. If you've got a cab with a set of wall outlets inside (like my mario bros.), plug a small incandescent lamp into it to ensure that power is present.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, after I found the switch(both of them) the only signs of life I found was the craclking of the monitor. None of the lights lit. I did manage to find one bulb that wasn't blown.
    I'll try the lamp thing with the outlets on the inside to test. Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, if the monitor crackles (and if the back of the tube glows after being powered on for a minute or so), then it sounds like you've got main power. Next step is to measure the outputs on the board's power supply and see if it's still functional. If you're lucky, that's where the problem is (replacement supplies are pretty cheap).

The marquee light probably needs a new fluorescent tube and/or starter. Might be easier to pick up a generic fluorescent fixture and just junk the old one. You'll know once the marquee is removed. I took the tube and starter from my mario bros into a lighting shop and they couldn't get anything matching. I found the coin reject lights at Radio Shack.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just popped in to let you know that I got the game working!
    I just got home from work, and had to try the thing with the lamp. I plugged it in, turn the main switch the game on, and then pushed the side switch. The light lit up nice and bright, but only when I held the switch down. When I held the switch down, the marquee lit up, and the screen crackled to life the that joyous ROM boot thing. Then....
    the beautiful Double Dragon logo appeared!

I'm in love. Now my next off day will be spent setting up my second arcade game into a space far far too small for a thing that size.
    Best part? It was all totally free!

Thanks a million FABombjoy!
    I'll post a few pics when I get it set up!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hahahahaha.... The second switch is where the door would be, am I right? It's a kill switch for when the door is off, normally the door would be pushing it in. I laugh because I found this out on my first game too.