Thread: Post-mortem favoritism at movie rental places

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Post-mortem favoritism at movie rental places

I checked out a movie rental place at Williamsburg, and while they actually had some Dreamcast games I was struck by something...not lightning, I think, since I was indoors and in any case a thought was left in my head:

Movie rental places always have SNES games, but no Genesis games!

I can understand carrying GBA and N64 games instead of Saturn games, but a store keeping a copy of Chrono Trigger (at my home Blockbuster) or Lufia (at this place)? Sure, it's a popular system, but why not Genesis carts? Is there any reason why Paperboy 2 is a better choice than Sonic 2? Are there any places you know of that break this trend?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that some rental outlets were sweet on the Super NES, expecting it to be a sure thing after the success of the original Nintendo Entertainment System. That's probably why you're seeing this bias.

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wait a second...this place still had SNES games? For rent?!

My area's rental places carried the major systems (Saturn, PS1 and N64 during that era, Genesis and SNES during that one), but once the systems died, they went straight into the sale bin.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Lots of mom'n'pop rental stores tend to keep there games forever and a day before letting go of em.

I seen a pic a flick not too long ago that was still renting NES, Genesis, SNES, etc. There selection was crap though.

I found a mom'n'pop store that still had NES, SNES & Sega CD. Bought all there NES & SNES games from them...1.00 each, all boxed.

That's the good thing about rental stores, they will usually clear out there old games cheap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    gruffbear
    PSN
    gruffbear
    Steam
    gruffbear

All Blockbuster corporate stores should have gotten transfers for all N64 and Playstation games to sell them off this week. I had already gotten rid of mine last year since they never rented but were always messed up.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I've never found anything good at movie rental places. Granted, I don't go to them frequently, and I had never even been to one up until a few years ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i'm beginning to consider blockbuster's gamerush one of the best game stores in my area...they carry snes, genesis, DREAMCAST, psx, and the new guys (and all gameboy stuff).

i picked up powerstone, crazy taxi2 (both complete), and a loose earthworm jim genesis all for $14 (buy 2 get one free), that woulda cost me $30 at a chain gamestore...all loose probably too. some of the snes/genesis game even have instructions (take THAT, EB and gamestop). they did have a loose chrono trigger for $40...so not all prices are cool (anything mario is overpriced just like everywhere else), but alot are fair. also, next door is the gamestop...they have about maybe 80 snes games...all but about 20 of them have ripped stickers, or rental stickers on them, etc...all in bad shape. almost all the gamerush ones look pretty good.

i know this was about renting...and you can't actually rent the old games, but anyways...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have only found SNES and Genny games for sale at the mom n pop shops. I cant remember the last time I saw one for rent.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

one of the video stores in my old town had snes and genny games up until last year. They sold them all but i wasnt there when they did so i got none. They had at least 100 games for each of the systems, all with boxes. I know they had megaman x2. I bet they sold the games for like 5 bucks each or cheaper. They still have sega saturn games tho.
    Midwest

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

An the video store was privately owned and The games didnt have those void stickers on them. I wish i lived tehre when they sold all the games!
    Midwest