Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: attention Neo Collectors: Metal Slug 5 values?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default attention Neo Collectors: Metal Slug 5 values?

I would like some opions from long time Neo collectors. I want to know some opinons on what the percieved value of US Metal Slug 5 will be in 2 years. What about 5 years? I also want to know what the estimated value of MS5 would be with the "classic edition" insert and sticker in 2 years. What about 5 years? Lastly will the "classic edition" MS5 devalue the orignal release?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: attention Neo Collectors: Metal Slug 5 values?

I'm not the biggest Neo Geo AES collector here, but I've noticed that most of the newer carts have fallen in value a bit each year since their release. Quantities manufactured and shipped are well known and, if the truth is known, many people don't like the newer games as much as the older ones. Whatever the case may be, I see nothing that suggests to me the last Neo Geo AES titles' values will appreciate for a while.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Where the heck do you come up with some of this stuff? Considering we are talking Metal Slug here, and if all previous patterns of Metal Slug games continues, MS5 will gradually increase in value over time, in fact it's already worth more than what the original release price was($350), and thats for the original version...MS5 is a very limited release, best guesses put it at below 300 pieces(US version), and the amount of carts released for each title is NOT well known, its only best guestimated, unless specifically stated by Shawn @neostore.com(exclusive distributor of English releases). Note that NO Metal Slug game depreciates in value, even the paltry Metal Slug 4. This is not a reason to purchase the games, but its worth noting.

Metal Slug 5 homecarts sold out within 1 month. This game is on the up and up, both original and classic. Samurai Showdown V will probably increase after it sells out, and *gasp* Sengoku 3 will indeed be more valuable as it's numbers get dwindled down thru attrition(sac carts).

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

yeah, Slug 5, the classic insert edition especially, will likely become a high priced AES cart down the road. If the non-classic edition decreases in value, watch scammers make 'classic' shock box inserts and use them to scam people.

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gunstarhero
    Where the heck do you come up with some of this stuff?
    I don't know, mind telling me where you get your attitude from?

The carts I was referring to were various more recent KoF carts. I suppose you'll have to forgive me for underestimating how popular the series is...at the very least, act civil.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro

The carts I was referring to were various more recent KoF carts. I suppose you'll have to forgive me for underestimating how popular the series is...at the very least, act civil.
    boohoo. Civil you ask? You mean the way you 'attack' my opinion and judgment consistently, based on what my avatar is? Your the one talking out your ass on this one, be thankful a pithy one liner is all you get.

Why are you referring to KoF anyway when the guy is asking about Metal Slug 5? Thats kinda like comparing the collectability of Rez to Madden. You said
    most of the newer carts have fallen in value a bit each year since their release
    The games have to sell out first, remember it sometimes takes a few years for these to sell, especially KoF, because once the newest version comes out, people stop buying the last one. Thus, as the price in the NeoStore decreases to boost sales, the market value decreases. Once Sengoku 3 sells out, I would look for KoF2001 to become the newest 'sac' cart.

Metal Slug 3 and 4 sold out last year, and quickly both of them began to increase in value. A MS3 US version just sold on ebay for $608 last week. Metal Slug 5 sold out(at least 250 copies) in 1 month, that is unbelievable especially since it was an extremely expensive release($350), this game wasn't exposed long enough...people are going to want to have this game and I think it will be worth more than Slug 4(which took over a year to sell out).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro

boohoo. Civil you ask? You mean the way you 'attack' my opinion and judgment consistently, based on what my avatar is? Your the one talking out your ass on this one, be thankful a pithy one liner is all you get.
    There's no place for that here. Please don't bring this into the forums.

I was wrong...and I was corrected. I'm happy for that. If any of us were world experts on Neo Geo pricing we could be off, selling our own guide instead of making posts to a forum. Anybody who posts here can be corrected and as you've demonstrated no incorrect statements can go unchallenged.

Once again...leave the attitude at home. No, I'm not going to accept your "but you do it too!" because I try (even if it's not evident) to be humorous and self-deprecating. I'm not going out of my way anymore to be snotty to people, you can do the same.

That said, thanks for the explanation. Yes, it does seem goofy that I compare KoF to Metal Slug 5 but I had thought I'd seen a trend that held steady with MS4 as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I come here to get away from the neo-geo.com DRAMA. Please don't bring it here. My eyes get sore reading over there.

We can discuss without teh drama!

I just picked up a minty complete US AES Slug 3 from a local contact for $315USD, and I know I got a deal. I'm thinking that maybe I should be snapping up US slugs as fast as I can afford them (with the exception of Slug 1). I really want to play/own them, and I fear that they are only getting more expensive. Perhaps at a very fast pace too...

However, the current drama being played out over at the forums at neo-geo.com, seems to be hyping the recent sell out of MS5 as a serious pressure to drive the price up. It's all rumour, and conjecture, but what I've heard from contacts who know people, is that there may very well be more new carts that haven't surfaced yet. If you think about it, it could be in the inventory owners best interests to hold back for a bit. Put some upward pressure on the market, then 'find' the stock. This is just a rumour I heard, from someone who knows people over at arcadeshock. maybe it's bogus, who knows.

What I do know, is that the Neo community is borderline insane, and the insanity is contagious. I'm 'in' it now, but I'm trying to hold on to my sanity as tightly as I can.....
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I wanted to make sure that didn't go unchallenged, I know nobody really wanted to see it, sorry :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

that game sold out already?
    is it even out yet?

man... that stinks, i was hoping to pick that up.

do they ever import more "U.S." versions when they sell out quick, or is that it?

willie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I "believe" the print runs are VERY limited. Neo carts look very expensive to produce (compared to pressing CD and DVD's), so I'm certian they would err on the low end, rather than risk getting stuck with stuff on the other end.

The numbers of the print runs seem nebulous, with deliberate misinformation floating about.

No doubt some Neo buyers look at it like a speculative market. In many ways, it is. Is it the future of our hobby I wonder? If it is, many will be wishing for the good old days far more than now. Read the forums over at neo-geo.com, and see what I mean.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I dunno...if what I'm reading here is true (and it certainly seems to be the case with the older titles) the collective illusion of a Neo Geo games' worth is rock-solid. After all, prices run the econonmy and prices are all a matter of opinion. I remember I made some foolish comments in the $12K Kizuna thread about inflation (it's about 2% right now, lol) but you've hit the nail on the head, it's a matter of speculation - but only on those top few expensive titles and even then it seems that if you bide your time you will get whatever price you're looking for. I see Neo Geo games as a pretty good place to put your money if you MUST have games. The cartridge format seems pretty solid, the game boxes almost always have appealing art so you get a lot of folks (LIKE ME, the fool I am) who make impulse purchases of games they don't especially like in a series they love (i.e. buying Samurai Shodown III).

Whether or not all the hype (especially with the AES) is warranted, that is another matter altogether...from the standpoint of places you can invest your money overall Neo Geo games seem to underperform (if you look at how some folks do in the stock market).

That's my view from the outside. I've been reminded I know very little about the prices but that's what I gathered after the $12K Kizuna thread.

It's certainly a very, very interesting section of our hobby :)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's no place for that here. Please don't bring this into the forums.

I was wrong...and I was corrected. I'm happy for that. If any of us were world experts on Neo Geo pricing we could be off, selling our own guide instead of making posts to a forum. Anybody who posts here can be corrected and as you've demonstrated no incorrect statements can go unchallenged.

Once again...leave the attitude at home. No, I'm not going to accept your "but you do it too!" because I try (even if it's not evident) to be humorous and self-deprecating. I'm not going out of my way anymore to be snotty to people, you can do the same.
    Haha...what comes around goes around pal, just remember that. Looks like you got a taste of your own medicine and you didn't like it. I can distinctly remember you aren't always nicey nice. Atleast you admit as much, I respect that. Whatever, I don't need advice from you on how to behave, we'll let the mods judge me.

I come here to get away from the neo-geo.com DRAMA. Please don't bring it here. My eyes get sore reading over there.

We can discuss without teh drama!
    Never!!! Muahahaaa. Without some drama this forum seems frickin dead.

Whether or not all the hype (especially with the AES) is warranted, that is another matter altogether...from the standpoint of places you can invest your money overall Neo Geo games seem to underperform (if you look at how some folks do in the stock market).
    I don't view Neo games as an investment...I love to play them. But, I'm not going to lie, I do take into consideration the fact that NEO AES games (except KoF), hold their value pretty well. I always consider this when I'm spending $200+ for a Neo game....I figure that its a good possibility the game will still be worth what I paid for it 1 year later, so if I need the money, at least I won't lose anything on it. Does this make it a good investment? Yes, because even if I don't make any money on it, I've gotten the opportunity to enjoy an awesome game in my home for awhile.

These games are not investments though, and really the point of this thread is stupid. Thats not the way to think about games...I don't mind talking value and all, but I don't hold 'value' above 'gameplay' which seems to be the topic starters main concern.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

These games are not investments though, and really the point of this thread is stupid. Thats not the way to think about games...
    Yup, like I said in the collecting for online-only consoles thread...you're either here for the games or you're collecting for prestige. Sometimes a combination of both. A lot of the stuff I've bought will most certainly be worth less later on (in x68K softs, all are 5 and a quarter disks and will demagnetize, same is true of much MSX software and my many FDS games), so you can tell I'm not overly worried about keeping value.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wberdan
    that game sold out already?
    is it even out yet?

man... that stinks, i was hoping to pick that up.

do they ever import more "U.S." versions when they sell out quick, or is that it?

willie

Willie:

If you're still serious about getting this game, check out Japan VG and Game Choice Club

I don't think you'll find anything less than that right now so hurry

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

haha, the neo geo drama spills over here.

without the drama, this place is boring as is ng.com, especially at work.

btw, who fucking cares about the value. play the fucking game and enjoy it. you want an investment, buy some property, or some stocks.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon
    ....... but what I've heard from contacts who know people, is that there may very well be more new carts that haven't surfaced yet. If you think about it, it could be in the inventory owners best interests to hold back for a bit. Put some upward pressure on the market, then 'find' the stock. This is just a rumour I heard, from someone who knows people over at arcadeshock. maybe it's bogus, who knows......
    a case of 12 turned up and sold out in less than 24 hours at NG.com. Shawn generally doesn't happen to "find" stock on these types of things. Given, sometimes the status of the stock isn't clear, but Shawn is an honest businessman.

Oh, and about arcadeshock rumors, don't believe it. Vinh is a good guy, but the rumors over there are usually just that. Rumors.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love playing Neo-Geo games. But when I purchase a o homecart, I don't just purchase it as a game: I purchase it as an investment.

An investment for the future.

Just like the like the title oof this thread suggests, the newest Metal Slug release is oo sure to appreciate in value. Especially the US version with the Classic Edition coover. I think it's fair to oooroo say that this will probably be the rarest US homecart ooorochi ever to be released. In fact, I bet you orochi that in five orochi blood years, the Classic Edition Metal blood Slug will be worth kill more on eBay than Metal Slug 1.

Which is why I'm very happy to ooown bboth the Japanese, and the US verison of MS5. And you can bet blood that I've got them both wrapped in protective bags. I'm keeping them oorochi safely stored in my closet and away from the sunlight kill.

Make an investment in your future and pick up a copy of MS5 while you still can.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Quote Originally Posted by buttasuperb
    btw, who fucking cares about the value. play the fucking game and enjoy it. you want an investment, buy some property, or some stocks.
    Yeah go stocks! But don't be a dumbass like me and buy Nintendo stock !

Go for Wal-Mart or something...

as far as games being investments, it really is a crap shoot. The rare ones hold their value at least (unlike comic books), but really whose kidding who here?

IMHO of course

Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by le geek
    Go for Wal-Mart or something...
    Hey, since Walmart's soon going to be able to drive by your house and tell what you've bought...have an RFID chip on everything (I bet diapers and longjohns are next), why not? They will be able to manage inventory even better than before.

I suppose I should let Orochi's statement by since it's really true. I think that the games most likely to be worth what I paid for them (partly cause Butta didn't gouge me) are the Neo titles. That said, you can't build wealth off of Neo titles, because once you sell them you can't get them back for less. That's the glory of stocks for you - you can always get them back :)

Though getting annual reports is cool (I think when I'm a bit richer I'll start buying a few gaming stocks just for those reports)!