Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: <RANT> Sonic Team's Downward Slope

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wish half the games that came out were originals. That shouldn't be a complaint about Sega alone. Fuck, even Treasure is rumored to finally be doing a sequel. As for the titles i listed, there were substantial gaps between them. That's not the case with every Sega title, but it is true of the 3 I listed. Outrun came out in the late 80's, this sequel (wasn't there another Outrun 2?) just was released, Panzer Dragoon Orta was released 4 or 5 years after Saga, and Vf4 and VfEvo (I know I listed Evo only) was released a couple years after Vf3.

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've played it. It's weak. The end.
    ManekiNeko,

Did you play through the entire game or did you play a level?

I am not anyone you listed, check this out

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

I am nobody else

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought they killed off robotnic?

Join the Konami All Stars and get FREE stuff!

Visit the Prototype Archive - System Failure - A really old backup.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM
    I've played it. It's weak. The end.
    ManekiNeko,

Did you play through the entire game or did you play a level?
    So let me get this straight. You have to play through every single level of a game before you're entitled to an opinion about it? That rule applies no matter how long the game is, and no matter how utterly dreadful it is? I've got just one thing to say to that...

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by charitycasegreg
    YES... SONIC IS A FAGGOT NOW. Waht happend to the good 'ol sonic with the spikes? Now he has green eyes and long hair? I used to get the comics up till issue 74 (about 4 years ago) thats when sonic changed. They used to be cool till they got all "mature". Plus yes, all these new characters are really gay. They also fucked robotnic up. Sonic adventure was fun but since then, sonic the hedgehog just isnt the same... R.I.P. old school sonic and friends.
    I think you could've expressed your distaste for Sonic without resorting to homophobic language.

Anyway, on topic: I haven't played much of Sonic Team's recent games, so I can't really comment. The most recent games of theirs I've played are Sonic Adventure 2 and Phantasy Star Online 1 + 2. I love SA2, whereas PSO just isn't my cup of tea. Though I think I'd enjoy it more if I could actually play it online.

Besides, if there's a software company I feel that's taken a bigger downhill slide, it would be Nintendo.

I'd take Sonic Adventure 2 over Super Mario Sunshine anyday.

And the same thing applies to handhelds. Sonic Advance 2 (I haven't played 3 yet) is an excellent original platformer. I'd rather shell out money for that, rather than another SNES Mario re-hash.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Concerning the Sonic Advance series I'm not even sure how involved Sonic Team is in their creation beyond Yuji Naka giving a nod to Dimps development.

I can see how someone might compare them to the Genesis titles and whine about the missing magic because they are different. Still good productions imo and the music level in Advance 2 was brilliant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Ok, so what are you wambulancing about here?

Billy Hatcher rocks. Sonic Team made Billy Hatcher. It's a fun game, it's upbeat, it's wacky, it's off the wall, all things you don't see much in a good game. But according to you, sonic team made it, so it must suck.

2nd, did sonic team do the emulation for Smash Pack? I really don't think they did. I'm pretty sure they outsourced that pack's emulation.

3rd, Sonic Battle is about the only good 3d fighter on the gba. it's a fun game, it has an innovative system for controlling your characters moves, and when you got more then one person playing, it's madness.

4th, did Sonic Team do pinball party? I don't have a copy so I'm not sure...but no sense in blaming them for something they didn't do. Remember, they didn't work on 3d Blast either (though that game was pretty fun).

Finally, Sonic Heroes was a helluva lot better then any of the adventure games. Team sonic was cool, team chaotix was cool, and there was nothing really bad about team shadow (it was just team rose that sucked ass). It was alot more speed based then the adventure games, anyway-remember knuckles hunting emeralds? Big fishing? Yeah, those are real sonic style games alright. So why all the hate on Heroes? Because it wasn't as good as you expected? Doesn't make it any less of a good game.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I liked hunting Emeralds. In Sonic Adventure 2, it was the best levels. Especially Pumpkin Hill. I love Pumpkin Hill's look. And the music. Best song.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sonic Team-

Well some of the blame can be placed on team members leaving, directors, leaving, pressure from Sammy, among other things. When you don't have the time you want, or need to do what you would like, and you have a corporate parent rushing things out to make a quick buck no matter the quality (sammy) this will happen.

Also they have no system to sell, that can affect game design as well. Sega developers seemed to put more effort into things when they had the saturn, dc.

Sonic Heroes- Myself I liked it, and both adventure games on the dc, sonic shhuffle was decent as well. PSO was the bomb and continues to be so. PSOIII.. well I don't know as its not on the box, and I am not buying a adapter to get online. But PDO was great, so was OTOGI. Yeah they may be in a little bit of a rut, but creative in the game business is in the minority nowadays imho.
    You did what? With who? For how many cookies?
    Always looking for promotional materials and classic gaming commercials in print and video form
    my feedback-http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48618

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brykasch
    But PDO was great,
    Panzer Dragoon Orta was done by Smilebit, unless you're lumping all of Sega's development companies into one - which isn't right. All of Sega's dev teams are very different from eachother as are the games they create.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Billy Hatcher was a good game, yes it was.

Epicenter, if you're unhappy with the Sonic Team then maybe you should accuse them of piracy or something proactive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ManekiNeko wrote:
    So let me get this straight. You have to play through every single level of a game before you're entitled to an opinion about it? That rule applies no matter how long the game is, and no matter how utterly dreadful it is? I've got just one thing to say to that..bullshit
    You don't have to play through every level to have an opinion about a game, but in order to have the best opinion possible it is my opinion that you should play through a game before proclaiming that it is a piece of shit. It's like watching a trailer to a movie and then saying it sucks. The trailer might look like shit but you won't ever really know how good or bad the film is b/c you didn't watch it. And by the way, read my posts before you jump on me I said:

don't judge Sonic Advance 3 until you've played through it. I really don't have much patience for people that talk shit on games that they haven't played or beaten (in some cases).
    Not every title is awesome from playing a single level. THe level or levels you played very well could have been incomplete. My statement was loose, and i was trying as hard as possible not to be so general and absolute. I really don't see how anyone can argue with the fact that you will never fully know how good or bad a title is until you've played the entire game. If that wasn't clear to you then I hope it is now. If you don't agree that's up to you, but I think that's bullshit!

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dreamcaster
    YES... SONIC IS A FAGGOT NOW. Waht happend to the good 'ol sonic with the spikes? Now he has green eyes and long hair? I used to get the comics up till issue 74 (about 4 years ago) thats when sonic changed. They used to be cool till they got all "mature". Plus yes, all these new characters are really gay. They also fucked robotnic up. Sonic adventure was fun but since then, sonic the hedgehog just isnt the same... R.I.P. old school sonic and friends.
    I think you could've expressed your distaste for Sonic without resorting to homophobic language.
    Ok, the creators of sonic ruined him in my view.
    Midwest

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoco
    I liked hunting Emeralds. In Sonic Adventure 2, it was the best levels. Especially Pumpkin Hill. I love Pumpkin Hill's look. And the music. Best song.
    That was the part of the game I hated most.
    Midwest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoco
    That was the part of the game I hated most.
    Meh, I liked it. Actually, the parts I DIDN'T like were the ones with Tails and Robotnik.. uh.. Eggman.

I liked either running fast through a level or being able to fly and dig.

But Heroes really does not make sense. I do not like that at all. I want it to die. I was hoping for a new Sonic Adventure.. Nope.. got Heroes. Boooo... And yes, before someone asks, and they will, I HAVE played it.