Thread: Video games based off TV shows/movies

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Video games based off TV shows/movies

Is it just me, or historically, have 90% of games based off of tv or movies sucked???
    A few times it has worked :TMNT games have worked out okay, but what do you expect, that was put into the hands of a company that at the time could do no wrong (Konami...where are you now when the industry needs your touch?)
    To me, the bart simpson games at least scraped mediocrity, and the ren and stimpy games are sometimes playable...but other than that, look at the crap that has turned out, this is ESPECIALLY true of the recent hash of lil-kid-games for current consoles. it took less than 1 month for that cat-in-the-hat game to hit the $10 discount bin where it STILL IS at my local walmart....they cant move that crap. if they knock it to five i might snag it and leave it sealed laying about so that some freak pays me for it in years...
    ok so some star wars games were pretty cool...but they mostly sucked until Shadows Of The Empire on N64...and thats not technically based off of one of the movies...just the star wars series..so donno if those star wars games since hten count
    the James Bond games are pretty cool since goldeneye, particularly the ps2/xbox/cube ones..but again, those are based on a character not a specific film....
    ok, so this rant has been a little disorganised. i don't have time to write a rough draft and edit it for forums....lol. later, like to hear a case for any tv/movie based game!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

It does seem like they mostly suck! And recently they buy the rights to stuff that no one was clammering for. The Thing, The Great Escape?

Which begs the question, which licensed games are actually good? Goldeneye comes to mind, Fantastic Voyage on 2600 wasn't that bad...

Uhm...
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

The old school Disnesy games were always fun. DuckTales, Aladdin, Lion King... okay so the Beauty and the Beast games weren't that great but the rest were pretty much classics.

And it's probably just me, but I absolutely fell in love with the GameGear Stargate game... >.> It's a puzzler and pretty fun. Unfortunately mine likes to freeze alot, must have over played it as a kid, I'll have to replace. But then it's probably one of those games I'll look for a complete copy for. Just because I liked it so much.

As for Simpsons games I kinda like Virtual Springfield but that was a bout it. OH! And the arcade brawler kicked ass when I was a kid.

And movie licenses just don't get any better then the Blade Runner pc game. What a brrillant point and click in it's own right.
    ________
    Free starbucks gift card
    Last edited by Daria; 05-11-2011 at 08:45 AM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My boyfriend and I recently came upon MTV's Beavis & Butthead game for SNES. He popped it in for a few minutes, and at least in my opinion it was awful. Then again, I was never that impressed with the show in the first place.

On a positive note, it might sound silly, but we really love the Hamtaro games for GBA. We got the first one as a fluke on clearance at Target and ended up loving it. We then hunted down the second one and are anxiously awating the next installment this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria
    The old school Disnesy games were always fun. DuckTales, Aladdin, Lion King...
    Another good Disney game was Chip 'N Dale's Rescue Rangers. Darkwing Duck was pretty good too.

I also like Jurassic Park and Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose! for the SNES, although I wish the former had a save feature. I like the SNES Super Star Wars games too. Most of the TMNT games were good (except for Tournament Fighters). As for Simpsons, I liked the arcade game, Virtual Bart and Bart's Nightmare for the SNES, and Simpsons Hit & Run.

But for the most part, imo, a lot of games based off TV and movies aren't too good, especially nowadays. I think they were a lot more thought out around the 8 and 16 bit eras, although those times had their share of stinkers as well (Total Recall for NES, Alien Vs. Predator for SNES)

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Two words (one word?): Batman

The NES Batman game is the best movie-based game ever, in my opinion.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good: Ghost in the Shell for the PSX was a really fun one, though it had absolutely nothing to do with the movie, save the cutscenes.
    Bad: Back to the Future for the NES gave me many painful childhood afternoon. I never made it past the damn "throw milkshakes at street punks" level.

And who can forget one of the worst game licenses ever, Street Fighter: The Movie. The game based off a movie based off a game! Wacky!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Street Fighter: The Movie... the Video Game.

A game based on the movie that was based on the video game. I have the PSX version in the Long Box. It is a weird piece.

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

Judge Dredd for the Genesis is pretty good imo
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype