Which do you prefer? model 1 or model 2 hardware?
Myself, i always prefer model 1.
<start rant>i see model 2 as disadvantaged.
Examples:
Snes 1 vs snes 2: snes 2 does not support s-video out; snes 1 does
Atari 2600 6 vs 4 switch: (although i have a four! someone help me get a six!)The difficulty switch and channel switch become ugly back switches...
Nes 1 vs nes 2(toaster vs top loader) this is controversial i guess....
although i swore off cheating and sold my game genies, the toploader doesnt support it unless you have the really rare game genie.....
more importantly, the top loader ONLY uses RF out, which of course gives those sickening waves going thru the display vs the clarity of mono AV.....hell i'm the guy who paid 35 for a turbobooster for turbografx to get that clarity, no way am i gonna get a top loader and lose it on nes...although some dudes on ebay can mod them for av.
Sega CD 1 vs Sega CD 2: to me this is just a cosmetic thing. I don't like that nasty looking flip top bubble that takes up a ton of space. model 1 is compact, and when you put a genesis 1, a 32x, and a cd together it looks much better than a model 2 rig(gen2, cd2, and 32x) in my opinion. it looks like a real console not some slapped together crap.
N64: this is only a colours issue but who the hell wants a pink or green console? not me.
Master system: In the master system 2, card input was removed, a game was built in which caused loading problems with carts, and the AV out was removed much like nes2! who wants rf? not me! i run mono AV converted right now although i know that either midwestgames.com or baysoftgames.com (both wisconsin dealers!) have STEREO cables that are for Gen1/SMS as well as some other system(its the same pinset i guess...mightve been for neo geo but i'm too lazy to check right now. got a lot of posting to do and headphones to find!)
Genesis 1 vs genesis 2: Why did they remove the headphone jack? I like that jack, of course now it's taken so my 32x/cd/gen rig is stereo(y-cable from radio shack) but it saves some electricity from running a reciever to unplug that and use the headphone jack! i think more consoles should have a headphone jack on them!
on a side note does anyone else remember the 3do controllers with the headphone jack on them?(i had 3do for a week. painful experience, bad shippers...)
The only time that a system improved with the next hardware is GAME BOY. Pocket was nice for its smaller size and it just seemed to have a better screen....then of course colour was the revolution and then gba.....i for once defied my model 1 schema and got the gba SP instead of the gba 1, but that was for the actual IMPROVEMENTS(the back light and internal battery!) but i'll even admit they screwed THAT up, with the removal of hte headphone jack...solution for me is to use game boy player at home, and use the adapter when im not home..i do have a 3rd party adapter that allows AC and headphones at once but its rickety so most of the time i have to use the dumb nintendo one that only allows headphone no ac!!! STUPID.
i did also defy my model 1 schema with a 4 switch atari 2600...but even that, is the first 4 switch, the woody not the vader....
soon i will have a six switch anyway.
later all. <end rant>