Thread: Sega LCD games from McDonald's - revisited and supersized!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Sega LCD games from McDonald's - revisited and supersized!

This post comes equipped with 10000% the daily recommended allowance of useless information to get you started playing Sega/Arches LCD games like a pro!

Value Game #6:
    I found the monkey-catch-bananas (AiAi Banana Catch) game at my local Thrift. It's, hmm, well, I'm not sure if it has replay value or not. It is a very attractive little game, though, with a glittery backshell.

Oh yeah, here's an eBay auction for them. See?

Gameplay Facts:
    There's more to this game than meets the eye. There's a counter of sorts in the top right corner and up to three monkey heads show up in it (nothing gory though!) at a time. The playfield has a couple columns of bananas (three per row - left, center, and right sides) and the bottom row has larger bananas, almost as if you're viewing it from an angle. Probably just for emphasis though ;) You have three different places your monkey can be in to catch those bananas, and two buttons to move him left or right.

Let about (not 100% sure) 10 bananas pass you and the game ends; the all the bananas will flash angrily a couple of times. I guess I'd be concerned if ghostly, blackened bananas flickered above my head a number of times, too. Catch however many bananas and you get a monkey face in the top right corner and the bananas fall a bit faster. After catching however many bananas are required to give the little runt a bellyache a sidesplitting bellyache, all the screen elements will flash to the accompaniment of a tone, and the screen flashes entirely too many times. Back to the blank screen when it's done; press a key to begin. You should never lose; while it's hard to catch ALL the bananas that come by, it's not hard to avoid missing more than five or so.

So that's all there is to it, right?

Almost!

Hopeless wishes:
    I would've liked to see a switch to let you play "DODGE" the bananas, that would probably be challenging at higher stages. Sort of like minigames in Disney games - Pumbaa dodges fruit and kitchen sinks in their Jungle Games on SNES, or Abu dodging pots in Aladdin for the Genesis. Three bananas shouldn't ever come down at once so it shouldn't be hard to make a modified version of the game, right? That isn't a feature of the unit, though (as far as I know), so the least they could've done is leave some nice button codes in there for us..?

Come back for some of our $#@! cookies:
    The unit CAN put more than one monkey onscreen at a time. I started messing around with depressing the buttons before I flipped the switch at the back of the game. Usually holding down one will put the monkey onscreen and then he'll just move over in a direction and stay there; keep holding the button and hit the other and the monkey in that direction will light up just a little (very hard to see as it's a very brief flicker). Doesn't let you catch bananas though. After trying the right button, then the left, I tried both buttons. The game started out with one monkey in the middle, and then I tried letting go of the right button and pressing it again - suddenly a monkey appeared to the right! I got two monkeys!

What's more, they moved as a unit! I would only have to press the button once to dodge from one side of the screen to another to catch the trickiest combination of bananas (two at the edges of the screen with a gap). This only worked for me once (admittedly I played with it for maybe 15-20 minutes total), and it usually puts three monkeys in there. Not a lot of gameplay in that option as the clones catch everything that comes by, no matter what. The game seemed much longer the last time I had three monkeys onscreen - more bananas were caught before the game sped up, or the game was running more slowly (looked as fast as usual to me, though). In any case you can only look at the game when that's happening. Not fun.

Is there a redeeming feature of this long post about a 29 cent McDonald's toy? Yes, there is a moral to the story:

When somebody remarks "more fun than a barrel full of monkeys," remind them that the monkeys catch all the bananas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

i have a complete set of those little games sealed...since their sealed, i havent played them, but they look pretty neat.
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

McDonalds offered Mini-Sega Videogames with a Happy Meal purchase. These cool LCD games are really simple but mildly addictive.

MINI VIDEO GAMES IN THIS SET
    #1-Sonic's Speedway
    #2-Shadow Grinder
    #3-Knuckles Soccer
    #4-Sonic Action Game
    #5-Tails Sky Patrol
    #6-AiAi Banana Catch

neotokeo2001

http://neoclassicgames.blogspot.com/
    Atari 2600 Limited Editions

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

man....i thought i had em all! now i need to find shadow grinder...funny i just saw the other 5 at a thrift and didnt buy em since i figured they were worthless tradebait. maybe in ten years or so they'll be a little more worth it. i do like them though, i actually play sonic soocer
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

Aww, reading the title I thought McDonads was going to put out bigger ones, premium ones, on par with Tiger LCD handhelds of old.

The only thing that sucks is I don't think the battery can be changed. I opened one up to see how it worked and when I put it back together, it wouldn't work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sorry Achika LOL

Going OT here, but what's with the pictures, NeoTokeo? Those are the exact same ones in the auction I linked to, but on a different server...did the seller steal the pics or are you just putting 'em up for posterity?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Sorry Achika

Going OT here, but what's with the pictures, NeoTokeo? Those are the exact same ones in the auction I linked to, but on a different server...did the seller steal the pics or are you just putting 'em up for posterity?
    http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/commun...geid=93625&ck=

I bought a couple of sets off of Ebay a few months ago and I thought they were cool enough to make a webpage for them.
    neotokeo2001

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

I never could get them all... I think I've got five of the six, and I brought all of my extras to CGE last year, thinking that they might be worth something.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default d

I noticed last night that MCDonalds has a bunch of new games for their happy meals now. I don't think they are Sega but they are games!

BTW, I made sure to get all those sega games back when they were available. :-) brag brag brag
    -Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

New McDonalds LCD Games:

neotokeo2001

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i've looked at a few fast food collectible guides, ya know cause you see these toys everywhere and it seems that the holy grails are the signs that go on the illuminated menu boards. guess you gotta know somebody working there to get em, or do some very well timed mickey dees dumpster diving.
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Ace Daetaur

I was working there at the time when the games came out and picked up a few sets. One I opened, one sealed. The third was the whole happy meal display whcih I used for trading. I may still have the light up sign, though... I'll have to look.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

OHH! ESPN sports games!

Are they any good?
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Signage = pwn

If you'd check that out, Moose, we'd all love to see a picture! Now are you talking about the SEGA titles or the ESPN?

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

I have a set..well more then a set (greed)

But I found one in the wild today..$1.00

I bougt my first ESPN..version last night.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have all those SEGA handhelds along with the rest of the display from McDonalds. The Super Monkey Ball game is probably my favorite. I really love bananas!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't find any concrete proof, but I'm convinced the ESPN games were also made by Sega. For one Sega has a contract with ESPN for all their sports games. But the games themselves are also VERY similar.