Thread: 3DO GEX, need some basic help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 3DO GEX, need some basic help

Just snagged a loose disc of this awesome game for my 3DO. Found it in a game pile in a pawn, in a Beach Boys pets sounds jewel case of all things.

Any way, no box, no docs. I've got the gist of it, as playing is straight forward. And awesome! Anyway, can this game be saved to the 3DO's NVRAM? If so, how? I figured out the tail whip camera thing, so you can continue after dying. A start screen seems to indicate that something can be deleted and copied.

Can I save my progress?
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, conveniently, I have the game and manual right here...

You can save your game in two different ways:

1. Beat the boss at the end of a world, and the game will automatically be saved.

2. Some levels have hidden video tapes that look like a VCR tape. When you find one, it stays with you until you finish the level and return to the world map. Then the game scales the video tape into the VCR, labeled "Game Saved," and automatically saves the game.

It's been a WHILE since I played Gex, but I know it does save to your internal memory. Great game. However, as is the case with most 3D0 games, you MUST have space on your internal memory to save games. Some games lock out portions of the game if you don't (Crash N' Burn for one). To delete files from the original 3D0, you must have the sample disc that was given away with the system, in my opinion, one of the worst ideas ever. No memory management without a sample disc? Come on!

Anyway, to the more important question..why the heck don't you live closer to Southern Ontario damn it! We should really game!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the tip, and the disconcerting news about the sample disc. Guess I'd better see if I can snag an ISO. I own a system, and since the system was supposed to come with one, I should be able to copy one guilt free.
    Actually, I think NFS let me do something with the NVRAM in the game menu, or was it Slam n jam? I gotta check. As long as I can delete at will I'm golden.

Anybody play the PSX sequel?
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, let me know if you can't find one and I'll burn you a copy of my Sample Disc, which, in addition to allowing memory management, also lets you watch half of a Batman cartoon, as well as having a few playable games that aren't COMPLETELY lame, but are only close The 3D0 is a region free system that allows CDRs to play on it with no problems

By the way....does anyone know if there ARE any Batman cartoons available for the 3D0? I'd like to get them if there are......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Which Batman cartoon was this, maxlords? Was it Batman: The Animated Series from the mid-90's, or something completely different?

Just a little postscript: The 3DO is technically region-free, but certain Japanese games require a kanji RAM (or something) that's only in Japanese systems. I think this applies to Policenauts, Sword and Sorcery, Blue Forest Story, and a few more titles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, the sample disc has a 10 or 15 minute preview of a Batman: The Animate Series episode on it...it's an early one..1st or 2nd season and about Mr. Freeze. I'd slay to get full episodes of Batmans: TAS on the 3D0, but I've NEVER seen them, except the partial one on the preview disc.