Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Zubiac's "strange Classic-Games collection" revie

some of you may remember this topic:
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/view...mes+collection

well,I recieved my copy today and played it now for about 1 1/2 hours.
    First of all: Codejunkies(developers) used their own GBA-emulator: The games don't use the whole TV-screen but a big enough window(like the "small-window"-Gameboy player setting).You can see that the games run in GBA resolution and are (nearly) all "home-brewn".
    The disc itself(although unlicensed,unofficial...) booted without any problems.
    First screen is a warning that this game is NOT licensed by Nintendo.Second screenie throws you directly into the games-selection.Now you can choose between 10 oldschool games.
    Controlls are in all 10 games (almost)the same: Character/Ship controlling=Control stick or D-pad;action-button1=A-Button;action-button2=B-Button;Pause=Start-Button;with the Z-Button you can select to return to main-menu(games-selection).

Here are my mini-reviews of the 10 games:
    Bounty Hunter X (horizontal-scrolling Shoot'em up)
    Fisrt time I played it I was thinking:"ehh...this sux" cause it looks like some collegeboy painted some ugly graphics in 5min and forgot to add the music(only soundeffects).I was shocked and afraid that all games look like this.
    But after playing for some min I was pleased again cause the gameplay isn't THAT bad(collect coins for upgrading weapons). This one is a toughy too...

Paddle Panic (arkanoid clone)
    Awesome! Highly addicting arkanoid-clone in which you controll 4(instead of one) paddles at the same time!! Only downside: No music AND no soundeffects!<-----wtf?

Super Power Shot (Puzzle)
    I was sooo happy when I saw the title-screen cause the music is only great(electronic-funk) but then in the game: NO music (again)! GRRRR
    anyways.... this one plays very well. Sounds weird but it is some sort of 2D(birdview) "super Monkey Ball" but with other controlls. x_x

Invaders (shoot'em up)
    Space Invaders plus better graphics and sound ,minus original ship.Get this: they took the NES-Xevious ship and made it the "Invaders" ship.
    hehe...pretty cheeky IMO

Chopper 2 - The return (Fly or Die)
    I'm not sure but I think this game existed on PC a long time ago.It's one of the best games on this compilation.U just use 1(!!) button to play it.
    Your heli flys automaticly from left to right and all u have to do is keeping the height(by pressing A) so that u don't crash onto ground or into buildings.

Loop The Loop (snake for Gamecube)
    poor name - poor game! I never liked snake but a good addition for those who want to play it on cube.

Pop Em! (Oh yeah! Buster Bros clone!!)
    yep! It plays well and has some "good"(compared to the other games)graphics as well. whooopie I love buster bros

Dragon Tiles 3 (Puzzle! A real puzzle)
    ohh...this must be the most boring "game" ever.

JetPack 2 (gravity shoot'em up)
    plays a bit like Dropzone but this time you won't die when u hit the ground.
    The controlls are awesome and the shooting-sound effect sounds great.
    again no music. great game though

Proxima (8-way scrolling shoot'em up)
    Yeah...the sleeper hit on the disc. Fast scrolling,good controlls,lots of action and nearly photorealistic explosions(not kidding).

Get one as long they are here but remember that they are PAL format(should work without probs with freeloader).
    price: 8.86823 US-dollars (without shipping)

Oh....and there will be also a Volume2 with even more games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah, i received my copy also today, didn''t open it though, i don't think it's worth, i'm probably going to order a 2nd one so i can keep one sealed, the sealed should be worth quite a lot in 10 years
    -Jan

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How much did it cost to have that bad boy imported to the U.S. (shipping included) and did you have to call Europe to place the order? I want to send an international money order for one, but I don't want to call overseas. I just got a new Freeloader for a penny this weekend, so I'm ready to make an import purchase...
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by josekortez
    How much did it cost to have that bad boy imported to the U.S. (shipping included) and did you have to call Europe to place the order? I want to send an international money order for one, but I don't want to call overseas. .
    how about E-mail?
    support@codejunkies.com

I just saw that they (codejunkies) are going to release a 128mb(!!!) memory-card for GC! Good God....how many games will it fit?
    I think this will be the only memory card in your life.

http://uk.codejunkies.com/shop/produ...l=1&ProdID=288

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well, i have a 64Mb card and one 4Mb and both are full, and i do only have about 30 games (including the sega sport games which use a lot of space to be honest) but for my future complete gc collection i will most likely have 5-8 128Mb cards
    -Jan

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got mine today. My personal favorite was Loop the Loop--it IS a lot like snake, but you can use the shoulder buttons to "loop" around enemies and kill them. A nice twist on the snake game.

I played this on my US 'cube with a freeloader, but I couldn't get the color to work. The game plays just fine in black and white though. Slight lines were there too, but I was expecting that. Cool little comp, especially for the $8 or so it cost. I wonder if there will be a US version, since this seems to be quite popular thus far?
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

You'll need to see if you can boot the game in 60Hz mode to get colour (hold B upon starting up). Otherwise you'll need a TV that handles 50Hz instead. Or a monitor.