Thread: PSX vs SCD Lunars

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Exile 2 Lufia II Phantasies

Quote Originally Posted by Azazel
    The Genesis one is the first Exile. The second one was only released on the PC Engine/Turbo Grafx 16 cd
    Actually there were a couple of parts in lufia 2 where I had to look at a faq cause I was stuck on a puzzle which you had to get past to proceed in the game. After a while the game just bored me and I said the hell with it. There's better stuff out there I cna spend my time playing. Personally I'd rather play through more games and miss some secrets and stuff like that than spend the time needed to do eveything in a game. There only a few games I spent the time to find all the secrets for myself.
    2nd Exile, are you saying PC Engine AND TG16/CD/Duo (ie is there an English release?) While I was not thrilled with the first one it's pretty much because it was too short, game ok. When playing RPGs I want to get at least 20 hours of gameplay. Gosh Ultima V on C128 took me MONTHS, and sometimes I played 13-14 hours straight.

Lufia 2 bored you? Maybe you like more action, I thought the story and characters in L2 were great, I never got bored. DIfferent games for different people of course and to be fair I can find something good in almost any RPG. Try playing the Phantasies from SSI (although I do suggest at least playing on Apple II or C64, IBM CGA is ugly and they didn't make PII for IBM, not sure why) Hope ya aren't "into" graphics, if you are Phantasies have the least of any RPG I've played I think.

Hey looks like you got your "cherry" with one of your latest posts, nice going, takes 200 posts I guess.

Have fun!!
    Tom
    Visit my web page for lots of games for sale/trade www.TomMage.com

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Lufia 2 was alot of fun, though some the battles were easy. I expected some them to be tough, not the same toughness as most the ones in Lufia 1, but you get my idea.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Lufia, bit of a spoiler.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23
    Lufia 2 was alot of fun, though some the battles were easy. I expected some them to be tough, not the same toughness as most the ones in Lufia 1, but you get my idea.
    Yup it was. And of course you know Lufia 2 is actually Lufia 1 and the other way around, note the ending to L2, beginning of L1. Battles, I do enjoy a challenge but not a silly challenge, ie just tedious. Games like the early Final Fantasies where you had to discover an enemies weakness to win. And not just physical vs magic attacks, sometimes specific types of magic, in one of the FFs I think there was a "boss" whose weakness changed thoughout battle, fun stuff!!!

Tom
    Visit my web page for lots of games for sale/trade www.TomMage.com

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Exile 2 Lufia II Phantasies

Quote Originally Posted by TomMage
    Quote Originally Posted by Azazel
    The Genesis one is the first Exile. The second one was only released on the PC Engine/Turbo Grafx 16 cd
    Actually there were a couple of parts in lufia 2 where I had to look at a faq cause I was stuck on a puzzle which you had to get past to proceed in the game. After a while the game just bored me and I said the hell with it. There's better stuff out there I cna spend my time playing. Personally I'd rather play through more games and miss some secrets and stuff like that than spend the time needed to do eveything in a game. There only a few games I spent the time to find all the secrets for myself.
    2nd Exile, are you saying PC Engine AND TG16/CD/Duo (ie is there an English release?) While I was not thrilled with the first one it's pretty much because it was too short, game ok. When playing RPGs I want to get at least 20 hours of gameplay. Gosh Ultima V on C128 took me MONTHS, and sometimes I played 13-14 hours straight.

Lufia 2 bored you? Maybe you like more action, I thought the story and characters in L2 were great, I never got bored. DIfferent games for different people of course and to be fair I can find something good in almost any RPG. Try playing the Phantasies from SSI (although I do suggest at least playing on Apple II or C64, IBM CGA is ugly and they didn't make PII for IBM, not sure why) Hope ya aren't "into" graphics, if you are Phantasies have the least of any RPG I've played I think.

Hey looks like you got your "cherry" with one of your latest posts, nice going, takes 200 posts I guess.

Have fun!!
    Tom
    Yes both Exile games on the Turbo Grafx 16 cd were released in english by Workingdesigns. The series is called XZR in Japan. And yes both only take like 3 or 4 hours to beat.

I don't mind short RPGs myself. There plenty of RPGs that are short and enjoyable. Ys, Xak series come to mind for action RPGs. Most of those are about 4 hour games or so and are very enjoyable and length is just about right. There's also a fair amount of turn based RPGs that are short like Dragon Slayer Legend of Heroes 8 to 10 Hours, Emerald Dragon 10 hours. I'm sure there are other but that's all I can think of at the moment.
    Generally when you don't have a lot of time to play games like me you don't have time for those long RPGs and I much prefer something that 30 hours or under. Something like Xenogears I'll never play for example. '

The last kind of long RPG I touched was Startling Odyssey 1 and I can't figure out your suppose to in the second to the last area. I think the last kind of long RPG I finished was Star Breaker. It's one of the few kind of Phantasy Starish game adn is about 35 to 40 hours. It basically takes over 8 different solar system and each one has anywhere between 1 to 8 planet and or space station. It's was relative on the easy side and it didn't require much leveling up. Other than a few bosses it was pretty easy. The last dungeon you have to fight all the bosses again, one on each floor. Plus you have to fight the final 2 bosses Kanon and Alto right after each other without the chance to help and you can't use your Star Breaker on the final guy. I don't mind long games but I like to limit them to something that has something different or something new to offer. And there's not to many of those games that I haevn't at least tried out. There's too much stuff that has the same old battle system and story that I'll easily pass on playing.

I've never been much into PC RPGs. I think I played a few of the Ultima ports on the NES Exodus and Quest of an Avatar, and that is about it. Most of those PC RPGs are so long that I could never put the time into them. I really don't mind graphics in some of those kind of games. I've played some of the MSX ones and enjoyed some of those a lot more.

Personally I found the first Lufia much more enjoyable. It had one kind of bonus dungeon to play but it's probably nothing like the ancient cave or whatever it's called in part 2. I never did all the levels in it. I alsop thought the script was written pretty good compared to other games released at the time and bought to the US.

Your thinking of Final Fantasy 3 on the NES for that thing about the boss's magic defense changing. You basically had to use your scan or whatever the spell/skill to find his weakness cause only one type of magic was effective and normal weapon attacks did only a few HP worth of damge to him. Personally I didn't find that battle to bad. There are some games that are just an exercise in pain cause of horrid battle systems like the 2nd Final Fantasy on the NES. I know how you can abuse the system and even so it's still an exercise in frustration.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't really like what WD did to the games. I was 15 when I got the first Lunar game, and that's right on the marketing target. I was horrified by some of the sexual themes and jokes.

I appreciate the fact that they brought it to the US, but they were completely infantile with the all power they had. For how much they kept saying they liked the game, it's like they purposely disgraced it for their own entertainment.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't tell me you guys are complaining about WD's localization. Since when the Wapanese Naruto cosplayers invaded this forum eh?

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bugbear View Post
    I don't really like what WD did to the games. I was 15 when I got the first Lunar game, and that's right on the marketing target. I was horrified by some of the sexual themes and jokes.

I appreciate the fact that they brought it to the US, but they were completely infantile with the all power they had. For how much they kept saying they liked the game, it's like they purposely disgraced it for their own entertainment.
    I have some advice for you, Bugbear:

1. Click on Nintega Grafx-16's name in is reply that he made calling you a "Wapanese Naruto cosplayer"

2. Click "View public profile"

3. Look to the middle right side of that page and click "Add Nintega Grafx-16 to your ignore list".

I'd suggest that others follow these steps as well, but Bugbear should know because he insulted her for no apparent reason. She's new and she probably doesn't know yet that she can ignore other users.
    Last edited by Ryaan1234; 05-22-2010 at 09:46 PM.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nintega Grafx-16 View Post

Don't tell me you guys are complaining about WD's localization. Since when the Wapanese Naruto cosplayers invaded this forum eh?

He just joined DP! Cut him a break!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaan1234 View Post
    I have some advice for you, Bugbear:

1.Click on Nintega Grafx-16's name in is reply that he made calling you a "Wapanese Naruto cosplayer"

2. Click "View public profile"

3. Look to the middle right side of that page and click "Add Nintega Grafx-16 to your ignore list".

I'd suggest that others follow these steps as well, but Bugbear should know because he insulted her for no apparent reason. She's new and she probably doesn't know yet that she can ignore other users.
    Wambulance much? The English versions of the Lunar games are just fine. Anyone who thinks the translation is too "Americanized" needs to move to Japan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

It really depends on my mood.

Presentation wise, the PSX ones are better. The cutscenes are much nicer (kind of since the EBC ones are lifted), the music is better..... its all better. Even the packaging. ..But that was it's purpose really.... to surpass the sega cd one's system limitations and give an even better experience to the same story. So what you get is basically what you had before, expanded! Retold/refined!

Some of the "betterness" is left up to preference though. There are some songs in Sega CD that I like more than PSX ones. and vice versa.

The Sega CD ones though, have that original, nostalgic, "this is where it started" charm that makes them really great. The music in both games is perfectly good. It's some of the best Sega CD music. The cutscenes are alright in the first one (sorta limited and all in some scenes), and the ones in the second game are great. Really nicely done.

I don't think you can really go wrong with either of them, and I think comparing them is difficult. The things you could "fault" the Sega CD one for, were only seen as faults after the PSX ones came out. Before then, it was the norm.

I will say that I think in the end I prefer the Sega CD lunar 2 over the PSX remake. Couldn't totally explain why to you, but that is how I feel.

and, wtf is wrong with Ruby and Nall? I got the PSP remakeremake and was pissed that nall sounds like a drunk high school kid.

Oh and as for the potty humor/perversions. I got the games on launch day. I was in 5th grade, and thought it was all pretty funny. Like the part where the house explodes and if you examine the dresser its all "MAN THATS SOME STRONG WOOD". I still giggle about that.

I guess it all depends who you tell the jokes to.

the GBA remake was a joke. I hate that one. It's just a watered down gimped up PSX remake.
    Last edited by Arkhan; 05-23-2010 at 03:57 AM.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I like his avatar, so I'll give him another chance. This sure is an active forum! 0_o

Anyway, I'm just had to start a new game on Lunar SS on the Sega CD because of some fiasco about moving, and when I'm done I'll move on to number two. I find the S CD versions have a more old-school feel I enjoy.
    Last edited by Bugbear; 05-23-2010 at 04:35 AM. Reason: smiley

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

well they should have that old school feel since they are old school!

The thing I miss in the PSX ones most is the huge ass ALL CAPS FONT ON SOLID MESSAGE WINDOWS.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

As the lead English writer of both PS1 Lunars....
    Sir.

You were the hero of a kid fighting to survive abuse. I was surrounded by cockroaches thick as autumn leaves. I was molested by women watching over me, sexually harrassed by strangers who thought my fear of being touched was a joke, and my father told me that heaven was as close as a suicide. I had no real friends, because nobody could explain what friendship was, and because nobody would tell me why I couldn't have the medicine I needed to gain any self control, to be like everyone around me.

They didn't even tell me such medicine existed.

I wanted more than anything, to do the right thing for everyone and just be dead...

Except, I had an escape from Hell. A spinning disc, a few musical notes and a curiously unspoken "Sega" were my gateway to a world where just talking to people was it's own reward. A thousand stories hidden right in front of me.

I hunted down every single last one.

Blockbuster video never got their game back.

Do you know what you did? ( Besides bankrupt me, in late fees? )

You corrupted me.

I took the philosophy of seeking out the hidden stories in people as literal, learned to tell a joke, and somehow, someway, this victim of abuse turned into a stand up comedian, and gave the greatest, most beautiful girl in the world, herself a victim of abuse, multiple orgasms on demand.

Over the phone.

I'm flying to Trinidad to meet her this month, and rescue her from the bad guys.

I'm leaving out details, it's nowhere near as simple as I'm making it sound...

But still, I owe you, and the merry staff at Working Designs.

A thousand times thank you, for every time you rescued me from Hell.

This one will have to symbolize them all.

Thank you.
    Last edited by AbnormalMapping; 05-24-2010 at 08:56 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Epic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts