Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    pnkfloyd71

Default Dilemma - Need Guidance

Hey everyone..

I need some guidance on an issue I am having... I was at my parents this morning and I went to our old storage room where I know all of our old NES/SNES/GB etc stuff is.. when I say stuff I mean all the original boxes, manuals, boxes for the U-Force, systems, games.. you know all that. I all ready have all the carts and stuff at my apartment (had them there for years in fact), but am tempted to take all of the boxes and stuff. But, I am afraid something will happen and I will regret it (fire, etc). This stuff is in superb condition. As if it were bought and opened this morning. we saved EVERYTHING. Should I take the stuff back to my apartment, or just wait a few more years until my girlfriend and I have our own house?? I know this may sound like a stupid question, but I don't want this stuff wrecked.. after all, it's me and my brothers childhood!

thanks for your time,
    chris

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Get the stuff. Even if you box it up and haul it around with you, get it out of harm's way if you're worried about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    pnkfloyd71

It may be safer at their house than my apartment though. The landlord is a complete moron and nothing is up to code.. our fire escape.. is made out of wood! go figure. I guess if you give the right people hand jobs, building codes don't mean anything. But yeah, it may be safer there at their house. Something inside me wants to bring it down to the apartment though... don't know why!

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

If you do leave them at your parents' home, make it very clear with them that they shall not dispose of the boxes and manuals without your consent. You know, just to avoid the classic "my mom threw away my favorite comics while I was gone and without my knowledge" situation...

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If your apartment is such a fire hazard that you don't want your collection there... shouldn't you not put yourself there? It would be worse if YOU burned in a fire.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    pnkfloyd71

I want to move, believe me, but since I was
    laid off and this place is all I can afford, I am stuck until I get a new job... Heh, this landlord is so cheap, the fire alarm for the buildings keep going off.. the Fire Chief is pissed that the system is so dated..

Anyway, I guess I will just keep them at the 'rents place and tell them not to chuck them out!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

well...since the code is so dated, i would leave them where they are with explicit direction on not to destroy the boxes etc. i would also get anything of value out of there except stuff you plan on using in the near future. i know you cant get outta there yourself, because of you financial situation, but until you can leave just get most of the important stuff outta there.
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifersam1
    Anyway, I guess I will just keep them at the 'rents place and tell them not to chuck them out!
    That's probably the best bet. Be sure to label them with, in huge letters, '(your name)'s valuable game stuff - do not throw away!". If you try to make them think they're worth big bucks, they'll never think of throwing them away.

And I can understand where you're coming from. When the possibility of moving out comes down the pike, I know I'm going to fairly anxious about taking my stuff out of my comfort zone at home.

dave

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

When I first left home for college, I moved into an extremely shitty apartment. I left most of my good stuff at home. Now that I live somewhere nice, I brought the rest of it up here. So I totally understand where you are coming from and I also think that you should leave the stuff at home. Nothing good can come of you bringing that stuff into your apartment, adn you are taking a risk by doing so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I would recommend going to Big Lots of Lowe's or some place like that and buying some of those large, plastic storage tubs with lids. Big Lots has 22 gallon ones for $3. I'd put those boxes in there, leave them at your parents' house, and label them. That should protect them from bugs, mice, water, etc, until you can move into a more secure location of your own!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you should take all the stuff and get some solid closing rubbermaid bins, peace of mind, yours for cheap at target

and you should also come to one of our trademeets!
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifersam1
    It may be safer at their house than my apartment though. The landlord is a complete moron and nothing is up to code.. our fire escape.. is made out of wood! go figure. I guess if you give the right people hand jobs, building codes don't mean anything. But yeah, it may be safer there at their house. Something inside me wants to bring it down to the apartment though... don't know why!

Well, I guess if you make sure it's safe at the house (wrapped in plastic, elevated off the floor if it's in the cellar and it floods, etc.), that's your best bet. That apartment sounds too iffy.

Just be sure they know it's not trash!