Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Majesco SNES re-releases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Majesco SNES re-releases

I've read that some SNES games were re-released by Majesco. I found a thread that discusses Majesco re-releases for the Genesis (go here if you want to read it), but nothing on SNES re-releases.
    So how can one tell if a particular SNES game is a Majesco re-release? Also, I read in that other thread that the Genesis ones were pretty crappy. Is this the same with the SNES titles?

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the Majesco re-release of Castlevania IV, when TRU was selling them at $10 a few years back

The manual is black and white, and there's no warning sticker on the back of the cart - the warning text is printed in the plastic itself.

Other than those differences you'd probably have a difficult time telling the original and re-release apart. IIRC, the outer box and front cart label are exactly the same.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JLukas
    I have the Majesco re-release of Castlevania IV, when TRU was selling them at $10 a few years back

The manual is black and white, and there's no warning sticker on the back of the cart - the warning text is printed in the plastic itself.

Other than those differences you'd probably have a difficult time telling the original and re-release apart. IIRC, the outer box and front cart label are exactly the same.
    I had the same cart... the insides melted and got all sticky and the bastard cart didn't work any more. Stupid majesco

I also have a brunswick world tournament of champions bowling game that has the warning printed right into the cart. Does this justify if it is majesco or not b/c i have no idea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had a big debate about this with a bunch of people. Differences include the black and white manual, and the label on the back of the cart is different.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Actually, I can spot the from the front label. The front label is a flat finish, very printer paper looking. Whereas official carts have a nice gloss finish to the label. Never, Ever, try to clean the front label on a Majesco cart with Goo Gone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if you have the box, check the fine print on the back. It should have "Majesco" on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey Gang,

I'm Glad this came up, i always thought the snes titles that had a non-shinny game label and no warning sticker on the back, ( but the text is apart of the cart..) and the black and white manuals..

I thought these where the mexican releases, i have quiet a few (10 OR 12) of these from starswars to frogger to street fighter and on the boxes, the main place of production and sale is mexico???

Anyone have any more info??

Ps. on a side note i don't like these versions there alot cheaper looking than the regular retail versions!..

..XS

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If anyone's curious, I know that these were released by majesco:

Castlevania 4
    Goof troop
    Scooby doo mystery
    Mega man x
    Pac-man 2
    Tiny toons: Buster Busts Loose
    Frogger
    Ms. pac-man

AT least, I'm pretty sure on all of those.
    "First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I have a Majesco Super Star Wars and Contra III. They were produced in Mexico for Majesco sales in the United States, for the question posed a few posts back. Cheaper labor, components, etc. although to Majesco's credit their PCBs were designed and assembled a lot more cleanly than some official Sega boards I've seen.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm
    Actually, I can spot the from the front label. The front label is a flat finish, very printer paper looking. Whereas official carts have a nice gloss finish to the label. Never, Ever, try to clean the front label on a Majesco cart with Goo Gone.
    Out of the 3000 to 4000 SNES games that I had at one point, the only difference that I spotted was the black and white manual and possibly the back of the box had majesco written in the fine print towards the bottom. (It wasn't always like that) The front labels on the games were always glossy for me, regardless if it was a re-release or not.

Danny

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

To lazy to dig 'em out, but I remember the labels being glossy for me too. o_O I'll have to check later.

I got three of the Majesco SNES re-releases. Two complete copies of Castlevania 4 (probably gonna get rid of one sooner or later) and a complete Mega Man X. I don't have any complaints. It's a case of "you get what you paid for", and I was more than happy to pick up Castlevania 4 when I had missed the chance to get it originally. Last summer I picked up a color CV4 manual, so that's all I felt I was really missing. :)

Majesco re-released Castlevania: Bloodlines and a whole slew of other Genesis titles too, right? I actually have Majesco to thank for getting me into the Genesis. O_o When I saw a 20 dollar Genesis 3 and a 10 dollar Bloodlines, I said fuck it to getting more cheap PSX games and bought those. :P I don't have an original Bloodlines to compare to, but wasn't the only significant difference with those Genesis re-releases the cardboard cases? That's to be expected, in my opinion, considering at the end of the Genny's life plenty of brand new games were released in cardcoard and never even had a plastic case. It only makes sense for Majesco to continue the cheapskate trend. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

is your bloodlines shiny labeled? mine isnt
    is the something under the Sega logo on the back of the cart? my has some type of sticker residue on it O.o

and on the back of the cardboard box (i know the originals were clamshelled) it has Majesco and their contact info

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Majesco Genesis carts are CRAZY. Some cart halves have a black sticker on the back to mask 'Acclaim' logos for games obviously not made by Acclaim (or another third party) other titles will have Sega properly molded in the back.

Every Majesco cart I've come across has had a matte finish on the label, which is to say they lack a layer of plastic laminate. I'd like to see some definative proof if there are shiney label Majesco games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A lot of the re-releases (at least the Genesis ones) had a "Published by Ballistic" sticker on the back of the box. As we may all remember (or not), Ballistic was an old label of Accolade's seen primarily in the early 90's. I've been trying to figure out the relationship between them and Majesco ever since...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the responses.

Alright, after reading all the responses, I looked through my collection. Most of my SNES games are loose so I looked for games with the warning label stamped in the plastic, and found out I have a few Majesco re-releases myself: Castlevania IV, Mega Man X, Super Empire Strikes Back, Super Return Of The Jedi, and Top Gear.

And I just discovered I have a Majesco re-release of Monopoly for the Genny as well.

I like that instead of a precautions label, the precautions are stamped in the plastic. I wish Nintendo had done that in the first place. A lot easier to deal with when you buy something at Gamestop and a price sticker is there. You don't have to worry about accidentally ripping off the label itself.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just got a copy of the Majesco Contra III, and I noticed it was sealed differently from usual: The seam goes around the sides of the box instead of going from top to bottom on the back. Is that the way they were sealed, or did someone go to the trouble of resealing it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Didn't Majesco rerelease Earthworm Jim 2? I remember TRU clearing them out, but I dont remember if they were majesco or not.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I found a few Majesco SNES re-releases that haven't been listed in this thread. They are Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure, Spiderman/X-Men Arcade's Revenge, and The Lion King.

Also, I've noticed that on my Top Gear cart, "Distributed by Majesco Sales, Inc." is printed on the bottom left corner of the label. None of my other Majesco carts have this. Does anyone know of other games where this is printed on the cart?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got a Street Fighter 2 one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Found another Majesco re-release:

Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures.