Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The most problematic game system you own?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by charitycasegreg
    Quote Originally Posted by PC Kwajalein
    My Saturn has given me fits recently.
    same here, I have an nes toaster but it works really good now that I got a new 72 pin for it.
    The older nes models work perfect after the New 72-Pin is put in!

Anyways, the system that gave me the most trouble was my toaster nes before I put the new 72-pin in. I try to get the best condition system I can so they always work perfect. No troubles with any of my systems, yet.
    (Knock of wood)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Never did get the Saturn to work yet, and I don't have cables for my DC (or any opened US region games :P)

Genesis 3 is "problematic," I'd say.

I need to do something with my Performa 6290CD as well...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

I got some dirty disc errors from my XBox and my DC once in a while will be a bitch with the controller ports...other than that, Ive had no real problems.

Knock on wood, my PS2 is running perfectly, same as the day I bought it, even after a cupboard fell on it, which thank god didnt hurt it cosmetically either.
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Toaster NES by far. My wife and I both have the ones we owned as kids and both of them flash so bad they won't even play.

My launch PS2 is still going strong, btw.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The FUCKING COLECOVISION.

The only system I've ever had to really work with to get it working.

I remember back in the day cursing my NES to death trying to get carts to work, but the two I own currently I have NO problems with. I can get almost any game to load flawlessly or on the 2nd try. What I always do if the game doesn't start right is push the cart with my thumbs and it always works after that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The NES. Admittedly, I've bent the pins back into alignment which has improved it's performance a lot (9/10 times it'll load first time).

It's just it's taken ages to get to this point, not to mention it's still no perfect.

My first Dreamcast had the resetting problem, BUT, I don't blame that on the hardware. The system was previously owned by a smoker, and the internals were literally clogged with ash. It was disgustingly thick. I'm surprised it even worked it all.

I cleaned it out fully and it looks like new, and has worked perfectly since.

My newer DC has given me no problems whatsoever.

So really, the only problematic console I've had to deal with is the front loader NES.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only system (knock on wood) that i have ever had problems with is my NES....but this was before some major 72-pin replacement surgery.

As for taking systems apart:

I've found that when taking any system apart its best to place any screws in a thin piece of styrofoam in the exact same pattern/shape as they were in the system. Not only will they be held in place, but you will also know exactly where every single screw goes when you put your system back together.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

My rarely blinky NES doesnt bug me, I do the standard blow on the Cart, and poof, all betta.

My just post launch PS2 works just fine (launch series 39001), though the initial load screen before it goes into the games, is lasting longer than it used to.

My real problems are lying with my XBox. Yes its a "Launch" system (got it Jan 02 so it was like 2 months out of launch) and it has the Thompsons drive. Lately ive been getting more and more DDE (Dirty Disc Errors) and lots of random loads in the middle of loaded segments/levels (Man does it suck playing XBL when this happens, its like freezing me for instant death). I know it's the drive, and i really just wish that i could switch the drive itself for a Samsung one, but thats most likely not going to happen. So ive got a Halo limited bundle XBox as my replacement system, which will be sent into MS should mine die so the HD info can be transfered saving me much sadness to loose so many game files permanently.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just got a used DC & (from what I've read here) can't wait to experience my first error!

My Launch Day PS2 *FINALLY* started getting DREs & would only read 1/2 my discs. Thanks to some easy field-servicing (found in a past GamePro issue & possibly still on techtv.com) it's back to normal.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a used Dreamcast and i have never experienced these "errors" people mention.

I also have an orginal Playstation (10001) that has yet to give me any of the problems that people claim those models give (flipping over to read discs)

Luck of the draw i guess.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'd go with 32X for the most problems overall - that thing can be really fussy about playing anything, and throw in the added complications of it's set-up just makes it a pain.
    My Power Base Convertor has been troublesome recently aswell - I prefer playing SMS games through it to take advantage of my 50/60Hz-switched Megadrive, but some games will take many attempts and much jiggling to play properly, when they will all play first time on my SMS1.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs
    I also have an orginal Playstation (10001) that has yet to give me any of the problems that people claim those models give (flipping over to read discs)

Luck of the draw i guess.
    Yeah, same here... My launch PS1(1001 model) has never given me any problems, and it reads just about every game(no matter how messed up). I don't play it as much as I did though, as I love that system, and I'm afraid it's about to break(been getting errors reading games more often then usual)

Speaking of which, my Dreamcast has never given me problems either.

Anyway, my systems that have given me the most trouble are...

Toaster NES, not only does it blink like crazy, but the controller ports are all messed up... I just retired that PoS, I'm going to buy a new NES this Summer(trying to find a complete ROB set)

Genesis, I've gone through 3 of these! And yes, I take good care of my systems... Just bad luck I guess?

32X, stupid thing never has worked right...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Welll,most trouble so far is my Panasonic Q. I bought it modded and after only one day of using it I got an error message on the display. The machine shut itself off and wouldn't turn on anymore. I've send it back to Lik Sang in Hongkong, who take up months to fix the damn thing and don't reply to my mails. I'm worried I might never get it back.

The Dreamcast is nothing compared to how much trouble a Q is... :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fortunately, all of my systems work very well. However, the PS2 has given me problems in the past. I used to store it vertically and after a few months of that, it would give me constant DRE's. A friend told me not to store it vertically, and to try putting a book under one end. I tried that, and since then, I've had hardly any problems. I've only had 1 or 2 DRE's since using this method. It still plays CD-based games, DVD's, and PSX games. By the way, I have a 30001 model that I've owned for 2 years. I feel lucky.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.