Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Price tags on boxes (for collectors) Do you remove them?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

While I always remove stickers from cases and carts, I usually leave them on boxes. I'm just too paranoid that I'll ruin the box (and I've already ruined enough carts that had stickers over the back paper labels >_< ).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I usually leave the stickers on, even if they are used. I even keep most of my receipts. It's kind of neat knowing how I bought Space Channel 5 used at Software Etc. for $4. Yes, that's one of them. I'm such a nerd.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I only keep price tags on if they are the original retail tags (ie: not Value Village or a discount store) and if they are unusual in some way. Two examples are the $199 price tag on my 42 in 1 NES pirate, and the $99 on my Super Mario 3 box; yes that's right, my Mom was forced to fork out over $100 (with tax) to satisfy her Nintendo-brainwashed son in 1990! But of course, the fact that it's one of the greatest games of all time does soften the blow...
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They stay if it's on vintage items, they come off if it's on newer CD/DVD cased games. Typically I leave them on hardware. That's where I see most anyway. Most software came shrinkwrapped so once it's opened alot of times the price tags are lost. Newer games that have tags on the case are typically used games from Gamestop, EB, Game Crazy or whereever, so it's trashy looking I take off. The old games I find with them usually stay on.

Also an odd thing I've seen from time to time, people saving the seal on PSX games, that's wrapped over the top edge of jewel cases, I've found at least a half dozen or so titles where previous owners carefully removed top seal without tearing, and then reapplied to the back of the case!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Morbis
    ... $99 on my Super Mario 3 box; yes that's right, my Mom was forced to fork out over $100 (with tax) to satisfy her Nintendo-brainwashed son in 1990! But of course, the fact that it's one of the greatest games of all time does soften the blow...
    was that really the retail price? I now know why I had a videogame collection
    of 3 games growing up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by AdamG
    Also funny because the tag says "Montgomery Ward". I don't even think we have that store around here anymore
    MG Ward went out of business at the end of 2000, closing 250 stores. It's been a while. I remember our old MG Ward TV pretty well. If the old TVs didn't suck so bad I'd like to get one someday from a wierd brand for use with a classic console, that'd have a neat look to it.

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Price tags on boxes (for collectors) Do you remove them?

Quote Originally Posted by classicb
    Personally while I don't own one I think it would be cool too own a 3DO with the $700 price tag on it.
    I have one that started at $700 marked down to $36, with about 6 tags covering the original price

Other than that, every game I have has the pirce tag removed. I just don't like them on my games...

On PSX games, I TRY to keep the top-seal thing with the game's name on it (I'll pull it off and stick it on the back), but I always seem to rip it...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I allways keep my recipts with the game soI know how much I ought it for and were I bought it from. Oh and for stickerse on the box if they are not original I remove it with a product called un-du beststuff on earth for that. Only have one inciden were a game was damaged from it. There was a sticker on Michael Jacksons moonwalker so I used the un du but now michael has what looks like a pimple on his face.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DDCecil
    On PSX games, I TRY to keep the top-seal thing with the game's name on it (I'll pull it off and stick it on the back), but I always seem to rip it...
    I always leave the top seal as it is on the case. It's easy to get disc and manual out with those PSX cases but with the new DVD cases it gets a bit more difficult.

Heck, if there's a way to get the contents out without breaking a seal, I'll do it, even if it would takes hours.
    I once opened Silpheed on PS2 by first undoing the wrapping from the top and taking the case out and then pry out the game from the case. Then I played it and "re-sealed" it. Just to see if it could be done...

"I never should the games I sold and I have replaced them but they are not the game just a hollow shell of the same game." -RugalSizzler

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nez
    There was a sticker on Michael Jacksons moonwalker so I used the un du but now michael has what looks like a pimple on his face.
    Michael with a pimple on his face? Now that would look alien.

"I never should the games I sold and I have replaced them but they are not the game just a hollow shell of the same game." -RugalSizzler

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

was that really the retail price? I now know why I had a videogame collection of 3 games growing up.
    Yes, $99 dollars was the initial price of SMB3 in Calgary, Alberta, Canada in early 1990. Of course, I just HAD to have it as soon as it was released.
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DDCecil
    Quote Originally Posted by classicb
    Personally while I don't own one I think it would be cool too own a 3DO with the $700 price tag on it.
    I have one that started at $700 marked down to $36, with about 6 tags covering the original price

Yeah that's even cooler. It would also be cool to find a 32X that went form $150- $19.99