Thread: Two TV's at once?? TOO MUCH EXCITEMENT!!!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Two TV's at once?? TOO MUCH EXCITEMENT!!!

I was wondering if there was a way that i could put a cord from one TV or system to another TV or system, so I could have a multiplayer game on 2 diff. TV's at once. nuthin more annoying than a friend peekin over at your screen during FPS.
    Somebody once told me to get a life.

I told them I sold it for money to buy video games.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On the PS2 you can definitely link two systems (via the i-link cable) and use two copies of Unreal Tournament to get full-screen deathmatch on two TVs (one wired to each PS2). I've only ever hooked up two systems, but I think that's the limit with UT. Armored Core 2 is also supposed to have this feature, as is Gran Turismo 3.

I read in previews that Timesplitters 2 was supposed to have the link feature as well, so you might want to research that one.

As i-link is the same as Apple's "Firewire" standard, which is the same as the IEEE 1394 standard (I think that's the right number), there is at least the technical possibility of using a Firewire hub to link more than two systems. I'm not sure whether Timesplitters 2 would support 3+ systems in this manner, though.

I really like using the i-link setup with UT, as it completely takes care of the "peeking" problem. But here's the really excellent part about i-link in UT: If you play UT using one system in split-screen mode, you are limited to two two-player teams (any mix of humans or bots) in a small number of relatively miniscule levels, for deathmatch and capture the flag modes only. If you use the two-system i-link setup, though, you are able to play ALL of the deathmatch, capture the flag, and domination levels that come with the game (although I don't know if you have to unlock them in single-player mode first--and sorry, no assault or challenge) with two teams of up to four players. The bad part of two-system i-link mode is that you lose three-player and four-player support, so a four-on-four match will necessarily involve six bots. But if you only want to humiliate one human at a time, then i-link mode is the way to go.

And if you want to go older-school, then I believe that you can do a similar thing with Quake II for PSX, connecting two PSX systems with the older link cable. I guess you could use PSone systems as well, as long as they have the link cable port. I don't think Quake II would work properly in linked PS2s, though.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

They showed this once with Gran Trurismo 3 for PS2 on The Screen Savers a month or two back as well.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

At one point in its evolution our game room had two ps1's and two monitors diagonally aligned and facing away from each other. So you could see the other player but they couldn't see your monitor. PS2 could work the same way.

You WILL need two PS2, though (I'm pretty sure) AND two copies of the game. I don't know if that's what you meant.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

AFAIK DC also had the ability to be linked as well as Jaguar but I don't know if any games used that feature. (I'm not counting handhelds, just about every handheld systems can link up except for Microvision)
    Another day, another dollar... wake me when it's payday.
    still playing games

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm pretty sure that with Gran Turismo 3, you can link *3* ps2's and TV's for an "arcade-style" view, but I've never done it myself.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

does anybody know a way for N64 to do that? I remember seeing a picture with goldeneye on 2 TVs at once.
    Somebody once told me to get a life.

I told them I sold it for money to buy video games.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can link up two DC's and two TV's and play a good game of Virtual On.Good stuff right there,too bad you need to find a special cable that I think you can only get via import.But it is worth it!Virtual On is sweet! :P :