Thread: OKGE 2004!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

Quote Originally Posted by Phosphor Dot Fossils
    It ain't that Brian - my work schedule has been "altered" so I have to work the night before. I'm gonna need you to walk by and wake me up again this year. I'm going to be leaving work Friday night, going home and loading the car, and heading straight to OKGE from there so I can try to set up before the show starts!
    Heh, no problem at all. I'll be sure to kick you every so often to get you moving again.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just a quick note: Brad P. will also be representing AVC/JCU at OKGE on Sat.
    be sure to stop by his table to see the Final Jagfest issue (cafepress.com edition: Color cover, 66 b/w pages wire bond(reviews of the best Jaguar games and reports and pics from Jagfest'97 to 2003) , he should also have the normal print version there to see)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I'm here, room 429.

I'm also hanging around in the lobby -- big guy, red hat, red/white/blue shirt, shorts, white sneakers.

You know, incognito.

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

See ya in about 10 hours, bro. Packin' up right now.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ill be seeing you guys there in the mourning

i just cant wait to see all the goodies and hang out with you guys

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Almost there..

Setting up right now for the show... I'm getting excited!!!
    Check out <a href="http://www.playmessiah.com">www.playmessiah.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

Okay... the last two guys (DeliverMessiah and Smiling Jack).. who the heck were you guys? I'm sure I met you, but I didn't know you were DP'ers

I'd like to say that the OKGE this year =

I had a hell of a lot of fun hanging out with everyone! Flack, Jordan Hamilton, Brad, Megamanfan, Earl and a bunch of other guys were just great. I'll do a full report with pictures tomorrow! I've got 50 pictures to go through.

With all that said, I'm going to sleep now thank you very much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Preliminary report: OKGE 2004 R0X0RS!

Outstanding show. I ran into some comically embarrassing technical glitches at my own table that apparently meant my much-touted video display couldn't run past 20-25 minutes (!!!), but I gave up on it and just put some games up on all my screens, and that = a happy crowd. Sold LOTS of stuff, scored a Gamecube, some 2600 and Colecovision goodness, new Pac-Man toys (!), two working 2600s, and much more. And a Commodore 1541 drive from icbrkr, who feared that it had a destiny as a speedbump in his garage. Autographs from George "The Fat Man" Sanger, who also played music for an hour or so with another member of Team Fat and had a great sense of humor and seemed to enjoy the whole thing on the level of being an attendee like the rest of us.

Reasonable prices all round on the vendors' end of things, and stuff on display that I had not seen in YEARS. Whoever was running the Pac-Man & Q*Bert collectibles display - my hat's off to you. I drooled over that memorabilia. And the vendors were incredibly nice - I wound up having to borrow a PS1 A/V cable from Game Crazy, and that's a cable they could have sold had it still been on their table. This was a great event - full of cool stuff I hadn't seen before, cool people, and running over with that warm neighborly feeling of the southern midwest that Flack and I are known to go on about. Oh, and Flack had THE standout table this year - outstanding presentation, and on a subject he knows really well! I went over there and he walked me through the items he had on display, and he'd been going through that same story all morning and I was just transfixed. I had a hard time staying behind my own table this year because everyone's stuff was just so interesting.

Not to cast any aspersions on last year's OKGE, but this one was a QUANTUM leap forward. Congrats to Jesse Hardesty - I do believe he's landed himself right smack in the middle of the midwest's biggest gaming event! Attendance was WAY UP this year from what I saw - and lots of returning faces from last year. Big crowd in the morning, different big crowd in the afternoon. I talked myself hoarse demonstrating the Odyssey, talking about video game history, and just shooting the breeze, even giving an interview.

Oh, and finally, a BIG shout-out to forum member Smiling Jack for helping me get my gear loaded back up in my car - you were a huge help, and extremely courteous. It was a pleasure to meet you, sir. And of course a blast to see everyone there again - Flack, chocobokick, icbrkr, purenergy, MegaManFan, Carrie and Brad from Messiah, and anyone I may have neglected to mention. I'm running on adrenaline and a fading caffiene rush, so I'll probably remember more later.

Rockin' show, folks. Don't miss it next year. I don't see how there can help but be a good show a year from now too! And maybe by then I will have found a DVD-R that doesn't glitch!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am so tired, but just wanted to say thanks for OKGE It was lots of fun, and everyone was just as fun and charming as I expected! I didn't find anything for sale I had to have but I made about $600 and now want a neo geo cab really bad so I can play Wakka Wakka 7 and other super cute looking games
    <iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/Lexicon810.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">Lexicon810</iframe>

Cherry (Level 1) The_Chosen_One's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chocobokick
    I am so tired, but just wanted to say thanks for OKGE It was lots of fun, and everyone was just as fun and charming as I expected! I didn't find anything for sale I had to have but I made about $600 and now want a neo geo cab really bad so I can play Wakka Wakka 7 and other super cute looking games
    I take it you made it to my booth then. We had Waku Waku 7 going for awhile. Seemed like quite a crowd there this year, lots of players on the Neo. It was lots of fun and it was good to meet you guys.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by icbrkr
    Okay... the last two guys (DeliverMessiah and Smiling Jack).. who the heck were you guys? I'm sure I met you, but I didn't know you were DP'ers .
    Well my name is Carrie and I work for Messiah Entertainment. We manufacture 2.4 GHZ Wireless Controlers for the NES and SNES consoles.. I'm sure you probably saw me at the show.. I am among the few females involved. Im not quite sure if I have met you yet either.. Im still meeting DPr's and matching the faces with names. I hope next time, you will come by Messiah's booth and introduce yourself.

Anyway, I had a gr8 time at OKGE this year. Its been a long day but I got to check out a bunch of stuff to add to my "wanted list". I really enjoyed meeting some new faces and chatting about gaming. I hope to see you all next year.
    Check out <a href="http://www.playmessiah.com">www.playmessiah.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, Carrie and Heather, you two were right across from each other the whole time. Such is the controlled chaos of these get-togethers!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Wow. Where to begin.

OKGE 2004 was super, super awesome. It wasn't as big as say, CGE, which I felt works to its advantage. It was big enough to give everyone plenty to see and do, but small enough where you could spend a little time talking to people or hanging out at tables.

If you ever want to experience the essence of what makes this hobby so great, all you need to do is attend one of these events. More than the games, its people's love of games that really shines. It's a passion that is difficult or impossible to convey in typed words across a screen, but truly becomes apparent when you see someone's eyes light up as they begin to talk about gaming.

I met so many awesome people at OKGE. If you think Phosphor Dot Fossils (Earl) and Icbrkr (Brian) are cool here on Digital Press, you're wrong; they're cool in real life too.I had such a great time talking with Icbrkr and his wife Ginger Friday night at dinner. Jordan from PC's and Such (who does some really cool console mods and repairs!) went with us to Bennigans Friday night. I don't think he's registered yet for the forums, but I've got a feeling he will be after this weekend! Icbrkr and I talked on and on about Commodore goodness and our jobs over dinner, and Icbrkr's wife Ginger was just as into it as the rest of us. She's super sweet, and Icbrkr is definitely lucky to be married to someone who shares his interest in games. Icbrkr also sat at my table a couple of times to give me a chance to (briefly) walk around the room, and make a Coke/bathroom run. I didn't even have to ask; he came and offered. So thank you, GINGER.

Earl arrived shortly before the show and left shortly afterwards. While I wish he had been able to spend more time here, I'm so glad he was able to make it. Earl is *the* man. His table put the "old" in old school. I had a few kids come by my table, calling my SNES "SUPER old" -- I can only imagine what seeing an Odyssey hooked up and running did to their fragile little minds. Earl's table last year set the standard in my eyes -- I don't mind saying that my lttle place cards were specifically designed to compete with his. I know Earl was a bit disappointed that his video loop had some glitches and didn't work out, but I still heard people coming by my booth, commenting how cool it was, so I know the people who saw it were blown away. Earl's passion for this hobby really comes out when you meet him in person.

Vespertillo and NineJuanJuan were at the show as well. These guys are super funny and super nice, and drove from Denver (close to 12 hours away) to attend the show -- I was so glad they did! After OKGE was over and done with and everything was packed up, the three of us hooked back up for some dinner at some local Mexican restaurant. I had a huge pile of fajitas, a 32oz beer, and a waitress who spoke limited English (at best) and had a belt buckle with the letter "A" on it. Dinner was great, conversation was better. I had hoped that Earl and Brian were going to be able to stick around for some grub as well, but I was beat from simply standing for eight hours -- I'm sure having to drive on the same day must've completely wiped those guys out.

My table was directly next to Chocobokick's. I don't see how she only made $600, there were people CONSTANTLY at their table, pawing through boxes and piles of both boxed and unboxed games. If you've ever met a girl that you instantly liked because she was so sweet, it was Heather. She had a smile on her face the entire day, and just comes off as a genuinely nice person. I felt really bad that ours backs were only three feet apart, and yet I barely got a chance to talk to her.

There were a few other DP'ers there that I just got a chance to talk to briefly. Carrie and Brand from Messiah were there waving their banner proudly. Carrie is strikingly beautiful; any pictures you've seen don't do her justice. Brad was cool as well. I'm a little pissed that I didn't win the raffle for the prototype wireless controllers -- I did buy TWO dollar tickets afterall -- but I have forgiven them. I hope Messiah does well with their controllers -- they seem really cool, and genuinely interested in what was going on. If there's one thing gamers can smell (and it could indeed be smelled Saturday) is people simply out to make a buck off of games. I did not smell that at Messiah Entertainment's booth.

And just to throw it out on the table, I have to admit I was a little nervous about so many AtariAge people being at OKGE. I know there have been some friendly rivalries (and some not so friendly) between the two sites, or at least people from the two sites, and I had worried that some of that tension might carry over into OKGE. Afterwards, I can honestly say that those fears were completely unfounded. Several AA regulars, including MegaManFan, MrsMegaManFan, and Albert himself made their way around the room, stopping by my table and checking out my console copiers. Albert didn't blink an eye when he saw my Digital Press nametag (provided by Earl) hanging from my OKGE one. My table was located next to AtariTroll's (Jack Kortkamp), and I couldn't have asked for a better tablemate. Jack was pretty quiet and laid back, but man you should see his collection of hacked Atari carts. The labels were so good on some of them, I'll bet some people walking by just thought they were original Atari games. Jack's "Borg Tennis" really made me laugh.

I also have to give a shout out to Smiling Jack, who not only hung out pretty much all day, but hung out AFTER the show (when most of us were really beat) and helped people pack up and move stuff. The help was greatly appreciated. This weekend is Smiling Jack's birthday, and he came to OKGE to celebrate. I gave him a few loose NES carts for the occasion. I also got to brielfy meet Bill Prillwitz, who put on the Space Invaders contest. Man I wish I had had more time to walk around. Bill seemed super nice and had a lot of Space Invaders gear set up, including one of those killer Space Invaders controllers.

Finally, I have to commend Jesse (Crossbow) on pulling off the best OKGE yet. Ok, there's only been two, but from what I saw, this year was better than last year's. More space, more tables, more people, more games. To be honest, during the weekend I got very few opportunities to talk with Jesse -- the guy just DOESN'T stop moving! I can tell you this though -- he was there when I showed up, he was there all day, and he was there Saturday night 3 hours after OKGE ended, when I left. I know it's gotta be a thankless job, but here's a big thanks from me for putting on a great show.

(So good god, is he done kissing everybody's ass? What about OKGE you dolt???)

Well ... Unfortunately, I saw very little of it, haha. Doesn't that sound crazy? If I ever do this again, I have to say I'll definitely solicit from help from someone to help me watch my table. There wasn't a moment where people weren't walking around, asking me questions or just playing games at my table. Although I had more console copiers than most people have ever seen in their life, Thrill Kill (for the PSX) and the PS2 with HD Loader seemed to draw in most of the younger crowd. I actually had one kid sit on his knees and play Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (PS2) for like half an hour. With all that foot traffic (and a few security concerns) I never made it far from my table. As I mentioned, Icbrkr covered my table for me on a couple of occasions, but I at best saw OKGE at a medium walking pace. What I did see was super awesome. I have a few pictures (not as many as I would have liked to have taken) of what I saw that I'll post online when I get back home.

I'll write more when I get home too. It's 9AM Sunday morning, and I'm just about ready to hit the road. Plus this chair/desk area in my room is uncomfortable as hell.

Edit: Picture placed with one Icbrkr took of me manning my table (the ones with blue vinyl)

Insert Coin (Level 0) yummysmokedham's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello there everyone, This is Jordan Hamilton from PC's And Such. I met soooo many new friends at OKGE this year, and made a little money too. :P I had a great time this year meeting and geting to know so many more new people, was invited to go out and eat with flack and icbrkr on friday night and I really enjoyed talking to people that have the same kind of interests as me, here in little old hickville Carthage, MO you can find very few people that are into computers and video games. After the event was over last night me, Purenergy, George "The Fat Man" and his side kick went and ate at the rib crib, Tried callin ya flack but ya gotta answer that phone ne way during dinner me and George started talking about starcraft, which I found out he like me is an avid fan of. So after dinner he noticed there was one of those gaming centers in the same plaza as the rib crib and so george asked me if I would like to go play some starcraft with them cause they had nothing else to do, and I of course said, "Hell Ya!" I mean how often do you get to whip up on one of the worlds best known game composers. So we went there and we did some whoopin up on each other, well some more than other and to make a long story short, I LOST!!! George is really good at SC. And then on top of all that he payed computer time, what a nice guy! He gave me his e-mail address and told me to keep in contact. All in all I had a really great time and I can't wait until next year! BTW this forum looks really sweet, look forward to spending many a late night on here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Thank you all!

This is just a quick thanks to all of you who came out and were a part of the OKGE this year!

We still don't have the official head count for attendance, but will have an idea on that soon. We do know that a couple of hundred came this year, but something different this year, was that most of them stayed the entire day, or for several hours! This tells me that everyone had a great time, and that there was plenty of stuff for people to see and play.

We will get the pictures posted to the OKGE website soon. Just need to rest a bit...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

inally relaxed a bit so here's my report of the show:

The wife and I got there about 8PM and was promptly ran into by Mica and his friend (wish I could remember his name offhand) who waved at us from across the hotel - this wouldn't be a big thing but I only met him once last year at the show and he wasn't even an exibitor! Found the room was promptly greeted by Flack who remembered me which is a good thing due to the terrible version of the "Face Recognizer" software I have in my brain. He was nice enough to help Ginger and I offload everything I had in the car and setup a bit. We shot the shit for awhile when Jordan Hamilton from PCs and Such started hanging around and we all preceded to have a long conversation about Commodore computers. After a bit of this, we all drove out to Butter's favorite place... Bennigans! After the meal, Flack was suckered into buying a "mondo chocolate ice cream" dessert which he promptly took back with him and left in his car.

We got back at about 11:00 and set up until about 12:30. We had an issue setting everything up - 2 of the joysticks that were being hooked up the C64/SX64ers were bad . Luckily I had 2 that were in the sell pile that promptly went into the "show" pile. I went up to the room and tried to sleep - and didn't. The wife was smart and took one of her "blue pills" (sleeping aide!) and promptly conked out.

The next morning the wife and I piled downstairs to test out everything. Everything *looked* good, but a few minutes into the show, the CD32 promptly decided it was no longer able to play Chaos Engine anymore. Luckily, the night before Flack had dropped off some.. "legit" CD32 games which, wow, worked without a hitch!

The next 8 hours went by quickly - the crowds were amazing! It was considerably larger than last year. I did some off and on shopping, bought some of Heather's SMS stuff (and the wife sent me back to buy some NES titles), I picked up some uncommon 2600 stuff from the "big box of almost rares for $5", and even some Vic20 stuff from Brad. There was a lady in the back that had some CoCo stuff that I was interested in, but she couldn't give me a price, and really just wanted me to trade "my action figures that I had at home in the garage" (that I have none of). Greg Little, a local to Tulsa, and I spent quite awhile BSing about Commodore stuff (it's one of my fav topics ) and Jordan showed off his shockingly horrible version of Zelda for the CDI. I finally, after almost a year, gave Earl a 1541 disk drive for his C64 so he could finally get it working. It had been sitting on the garage floor and the wife had almost started using it as a speed bump. I spent some time over at Earl's table playing with the Galaxian tabletop (never seen one before) and trying to play Power Lords with his rare trackball controller... needless to say, I suck at it. I wandered often over to Flack's table often (sometimes because I was getting sleepy from going to bed so late and I couldn't sit down any longer, and others cause the wife was prodding me to go see if he needed any help).

All in all, I met a bunch of great people, and hopefully I'll have a bit of a better setup next year!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

The funniest thing just happened...

I just got a call from some old lady on my answering machine who read the OKGE article in the Morning News and decided to look me up and call me.

She was trying to pawn off an old Atari 5200 with Breakout and Centipede for cash. I suuuurrrreeee hope I don't get a bunch of these calls unless they're offering it for free

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

By the way, this is the article Brian's referring to - looks like everyone with the surname of "Green" who attended OKGE was quoted in it!

(EDIT: the article is continued on this page.)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sorry im posting this so late. I had a great time and met a lot of cool people like flack and Phosphor and carrie the amazingly beautiful Messiah girl. oh and by the way thanks alot for the games flack, im having a great time playing wizards & warriors.

It was great to win the Messiah controlers on my birthday, and by the way there realy great controlers you defintly need to go and preorder yours today

Hope to see you all next year.