Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Metal SLug 3 Xbox review

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon
    The Playstation CANNOT properly handle MS3.
    True, but that line of thinking didn't stop companies from porting games like Pac-Man, Asteroids, Golden Axe, Double Dragon, etc. etc. to home machines that couldn't handle the real deal no matter what. With some code rewrites and some optimization the Playstation could probably handle it. Not going to be arcade perfect but I bet it still would have flown off shelves.

Dreamcast probably could have done the game better justice and with other 2D style games on the system it would have fit in well

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ClubNinja
    No doubt - it's that good. As already said, the Neo Geo versions will run you at least close to $350
    Fixed.

This game pwns.

I'm buying it next week.

Nuff said.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Syxx573

Quote Originally Posted by ClubNinja
    No doubt - it's that good. As already said, the Neo Geo versions will run you at least close to $350
    Fixed.
    What I originally said was:

the Neo Geo versions will run you at least close to $100 (MVS being the less pricey option)
    You can get a loose Metal Slug 3 MVS cart for just under $100, which is what I'm refering to as the less pricey option. $350 is accurate for the home (AES) version, though.
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon
    It kicks Contra's ass in every way.

I love this game.
    couldnt agree with you more

too bad i'm broke to pick it up ;_;

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Once I buy an Xbox, MS3 is the first game I will buy. In the meantime, I'm gonna mooch off my friend's copy.
    "First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i want this game to do well so badly that i would be willing to buy it for someone just to trade it to them (i am serious). So if anyone has any GC imports or DC shooters, or anything worth about $35 that they want to trade i would be happy to listen to offers.

By the way i had my doubts about this one, but after playing the first level demo i am really excited about the future of SNK on the XBOX and XBOX2.
    Eyes - Pete and Pete, Bullet Ballet
    Ears - Exploding Hearts , Tattle Tales
    Hands - Neutopia II, NBA Live 05

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just got back from gamestop to buy ms3, dude said it was almost sold out already and was a popular item today.

Very good to hear.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked it up today. Along with River City Ransom Ex. I had a damn hard time finding both of them. The Eb's around here were sold out of EX, didn't get their shipments of Slug 3. I ended up going to GS. I had to take the damn "opened new" copy of EX. Oh well, it was all minty.

I would suggest getting these two now before they dry up and their price starts to rise. I wonder how many of each will be produced?

Anyhow, game is great and has some awesome extras. I would pay 50 for it and not think twice about it. The game is hard. Very hard. But fun as hell. Should be expected from fans of teh Slug.

I also love the packaging. The Manual is very nice and the writing inside is well done. Nice little add on the back of manual for SVC Chaos too!

I have spent way more than 40 dollars at the Arcade on the Slug series. Now I can play 3 all I want and not drop anymore quarters. Although I would if I did see it in the arcades.

It is nice to see games like Slug get released. Beats another racing or first person millitary themed game release on X-box. Don't get me wrong, I do like those genres, just seems like that is a lot of what is being released.

2-D is still great!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't even own an Xbox yet and I'm gonna run out and get Slug 3. I have a feelingits gonna be one of those sleepers that ppl ill be clamoring for long after the initial release (kinda like Third Stike for the DC).

Think I'll get my Xbox next week. Between the SNK ports and Outrun 2, I'll be having a blast
    http://www.2d-x.com
    The best 2D and 2.5D video games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default Mixed bag.......

While I agree the article is bad for more than one reason, the real question is.....is it a good port? I am not a hardcore Neo Geo Freak(although I own one ) nor do I blindly support the Xbox. My honest opinion of it(after playing the demo on the Xbox mag), is that it is a shoddy emulation of the original that most people will consider fine. As for me, I agree that 40 bones is a steal to get one of the best 2d games out there....to bad they didnt put more time into making it not "feel and look" like an emulation. It is unfortunate that so many companies take the quick and easy path of porting a game the cheapest way and not refining games to appropriately play and look like the original. For many it will be fine, as for me....that MVS version is looking better and better!
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

In regards to what someone else said -- yes, EB does not yet have Metal Slug 3. I stopped in at my local one today on my way into work, and the manager apoligized and said that he should have them Thursday and Friday, so I pre-ordered one. There's no Gamespot around here so I could'nt check there.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Mixed bag.......

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist
    While I agree the article is bad for more than one reason, the real question is.....is it a good port? I am not a hardcore Neo Geo Freak(although I own one ) nor do I blindly support the Xbox. My honest opinion of it(after playing the demo on the Xbox mag), is that it is a shoddy emulation of the original that most people will consider fine. As for me, I agree that 40 bones is a steal to get one of the best 2d games out there....to bad they didnt put more time into making it not "feel and look" like an emulation. It is unfortunate that so many companies take the quick and easy path of porting a game the cheapest way and not refining games to appropriately play and look like the original. For many it will be fine, as for me....that MVS version is looking better and better!
    I used to have the MVS, this looks just like the real deal. Only gameplay difference is the fact that you start at the beginning of the level when you continue.

Not sure what you're talking about on this one. Great port.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ack! To think that the suits @ GameSpy thought it worthwhile to team up with this band of anusuckers! :-P

Anyhow...yeah, "It may be best in the series, but is it good enough for Xbox?" would have to rank among the dumbest things I've read all day.

That and somebody knocking off points for the PC version of "Enter the Matrix" just because it was "a bit too much of a movie game."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default Metal Slug 3

My best friend had the US AES cart and he brought it over to play. I have played that version, and the Xbox version comes off as a emulator, as in the timing is off, the resolution is sub-par, and the sound should be way way better than it is. As I have said before, the xbox version is gonna play and look fine for most people.....but not me, I see it as what it is.....something that tries to be a port.....and doesnt come off as one. The Xbox version should be alot better than it is, there is no excuse for the small things that are noticable to me. I challenge anyone to play both of them and speak their mind....this is just my opinion......my strong opinion I have an eye for differences.....call me picky or just an observer of what they should have done!
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will compare it to my AES version when I get my hands on a copy of it. It will be an S-vid and stereo modded AES vs. My S-vid connected Xbox. Same TV and sound system.

I've tried 'teh romz', and as neat as they are on the 'Box, the real thing BLOWS THEM OUT OF THE WATER.

I sure hope this Xbox 'port' is superior to the rom.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Metal Slug 3

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist
    My best friend had the US AES cart and he brought it over to play. I have played that version, and the Xbox version comes off as a emulator, as in the timing is off, the resolution is sub-par, and the sound should be way way better than it is. As I have said before, the xbox version is gonna play and look fine for most people.....but not me, I see it as what it is.....something that tries to be a port.....and doesnt come off as one. The Xbox version should be alot better than it is, there is no excuse for the small things that are noticable to me. I challenge anyone to play both of them and speak their mind....this is just my opinion......my strong opinion I have an eye for differences.....call me picky or just an observer of what they should have done!
    You are seeing things. It looks the same. And I am not "most people" I've owned both the AES and MVS of MS3 at some point along with plenty of other AES and MVS carts. So, I'm not some sort of port whore, whose logic is "OMFG you paid $300 for the same game I got for $40 on xbox"

The only timing difference I noticed is that when you run out of a special weapon, it takes a second to go back to the regular pistol. I'm almost positive this doesn't happen in the original, dunno 100% because I haven't played the original in awhile.

And there is the lack of slowdown which can change things a bit too.

I guess people are always gonna find something to complain about, even in a 99% perfect port.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought it last night, and it is fun. But very hard. But I like the game because although it's retro, it's still better than a lot of 3-D games. The graphics, for some reason, are pretty good. But I agree to the fact that this game is not meant for success, because in my opinion it is mainly for the hardcore gamers.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Notice the average reader score on IGN is 9.4

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Good news! EB called today saying the game was in!

So I assume every EB in the country now has them.

I'll pick up my copy on my way in to work, though I can't play it till I get home tonight.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK finally time to go buy an Xbox