2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default VBENDER

Gang.

#vbender isn't what it used to be.

To the "vets" here, you know #vbender as a channel on IRC used by DP to run events. We've had lots of really fun online gatherings on this chat client. We've run contests there, had scheduled holiday parties, etc.

But it has changed, and I'm really amazed with what the IRC team, primarily our member Xenu with big assists from Portnoyd and PapaStu have done with the place.

I've asked them to document some of the features for me, but they've already shown me a quick command (!dpforum) to bring up the most recent Roundtable topics, completely linkable from the chat... another command to bring up the most recent "deals" from cheapassgamer.com... more that give you stats on the number of lines you've typed, the most recent quote you're quoted on by other members, just... WOW.

You really owe it to yourself to check it out. If you have the forums open often as I do, this is just a step beyond that. Live gaming (usually) chat.

http://www.digitpress.com/irc

I'd recommend MIRC, but the link above is a good place to start. The special features will be listed on that page SOON.

See ya online.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: VBENDER

I went there last when a fellow by the name of Skuee asked me to go chat with him...I guess he wanted me to buy something :D

Anyhow, it's sort of sad when I only see like four people in there, and one or two of em's being a jerk. No names, but it makes IRC less pleasant than it should be.

`op

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Anyhow, it's sort of sad when I only see like four people in there, and one or two of em's being a jerk. No names, but it makes IRC less pleasant than it should be.

`op
    Well then join the channel, get your DP friends in there and make it more active.

Really #Vbender has been made great by Portnoyd, and Xenu. I just sit in there and talk awhole bunch . The channel is a real great place and its nice to get to know your fellow DP members a little more than one could hope through just posts or PM's.

So what are you people sittin here doing reading this stuff, Join the channel!!!!!!
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

A little edit to that. Even though PapaStuness is one of bigger chatters, props for getting Vbender going belong to myself, Xenu, and Perkar.

Things have picked up ever since we replaced the old and busted bot script, with the new hotness from Xenu. We also registered Mircstats for obsessive-compulsive line counting. Yay!

On average now, we have 10 people, usually more. Grab mIrc and learn the power of idling all day, and you'll easily have a great opportunity to chat with the people you post with.

The neighborhood friendly ops for your chat experience are: xenu, Perkar, portnoyd, digitpres, punkoffgi, CaptYash, BalloonFi, _AdamG_, Spoon45, NE146, davidbrit, and KirbyStar. If those look familiar, they should.

grab-ass and Mr_Nutz are the bots that help can keep the channel alive and running, thanks to xenu's scripts.

dave

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

It's quite amazing, really. The channel has access to all kinds of resources from the DP site, including the recent topics on the forums and even the online search database!

Here are the recent custom commands. Just type....

!topwhores
    Shows the top 10 talkative people in channel #vbender

!statswhore <nickname>
    Gives you basic statistics of user chat time, etc.

.dp <system> <game>
    Lets you search through the Digital Press online rarity guide. The <system> tag is optional. ex: !dp nes mario or ex: !dp mario
    [NOTE: this is the only command that uses a "." instead of a "!"]

!dpforum <forum#>
    Returns the last 5 topics from the associated Retrogaming Roundtable forum number. If no forum# is given, it gives the main "video game forum" last 5 topics.
    List of forum numbers:
    1 video game forum
    2 emulation
    3 buying and selling
    4 yet more ebay insanity
    5 collector/rarity database
    6 prototype central
    7 classic gaming expo connection
    8 off-topic
    10 classic discussions
    24 technical and restoration society
    26 events and gatherings
    27 import mania!
    34 vintage computer gaming
    35 lore: 1989-present
    36 manci games

!quote <search string>
    You can search for quotes from past #vbender members (supports wildcards) and for a random quote, just do !quote by itself.

!addquote <nickname> <quote>
    Lets you add a quote to the database. For example !addquote PapaStu may reveal:
    <PapaStu> i are smart!
    [NOTE: You can't add quotes for yourself. You can only BE quoted]
    !cag
    Returns the last 5 topics from our pals at the CheapAssGamer forums.

!updatestats
    Updates the #vbender stats: http://www.yeahiknowright.net/vbender.html[/b]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu
    Well then join the channel, get your DP friends in there and make it more active.
    /me gets off his lazy arse (metaphorically speaking) and into #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never knew this site had a chan on IRC...expect to see alot of me in there soon.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Definitely feel free to join us in our babbling about random stuff. Usually its only a few of us in there, but we'll come around sooner or later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

welcome to my life for the past ooohhh.... 8 to 9 months. ever since last October's official #vbender, i've been constantly idle in #vbender... well, i guess i talk sometimes =)

once port and xenu got the bots / scripts up, things really started kicking into gear. it's definitely cool to be talking live with people that you see post on here so often. i know that i'm much more of a chat guy than i am a message board poster... so the chat is really a good forum for me. and i definitely know that i'm not alone in that aspect *cough*xenu*cough*

anyway... feel free to come join us, there's just about always someone in there ready to chat. =)
    My Website | #VBender | Last.fm
    Part of the #vbender crew
    [21:39] <Ze_ro> Perkar: Put "Official #vbender Slut" in your sig.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default chat

I'm a chat novice, and wouldn't know where to begin with these new features, but it's nice to drop in occassionally knowing someone will be there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I've been hanging there for quite a while (I remember sometimes it was just me and perkar, or heck, me alone ) But yeah I'm usually just idle. The credit goes out to all the rest for bringing in the bots and the scripts thus mainaining the channel from it's previous chaotic state It's definitely much more happening now every time I sit down

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hah... i forgot to mention NE146... he was chilling in #vbender prior to that october vbender with me as well... so to him i give a giant \m/
    My Website | #VBender | Last.fm
    Part of the #vbender crew
    [21:39] <Ze_ro> Perkar: Put "Official #vbender Slut" in your sig.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

The vbender, you say? I started on that thing about a few weeks ago! It kicks ass! Though, half the time I come there, it's usually dead. I was just there five minutes ago... nothing doin'. Come on, I need more victims! Get yer ass to the Virtual Bender already, suckas!
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Sotenga
    The vbender, you say? I started on that thing about a few weeks ago! It kicks ass! Though, half the time I come there, it's usually dead. I was just there five minutes ago... nothing doin'. Come on, I need more victims! Get yer ass to the Virtual Bender already, suckas!
    Are you joiining the channel of EFnet? Cause I've been there for the last few hours and haven't seen you log in.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

he's on EFNet alright, I gave him a personalized script that I use, a modified mIRC with a video and mp3 player. 'cause I'm cool like that.

So, uh, yeah. Come to VBender, and don't use the quote script to see my quotes.

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Man, I haven't been on IRC in ages... I used to be a total IRC junkie about 5 or 6 years ago, but I got annoyed with all the script kiddies trying to DOS the servers, and all the people who literally idled for weeks at a time (I asked one guy why he idled so much, and he told me that he preferred to just log everything and read it later. I then asked him how he was able to read two weeks of logs at a time, and he admitted that he just skims them. Ah, the power of the internet).

I'll have to check this out again later...

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    Quote Originally Posted by Sotenga
    Are you joiining the channel of EFnet? Cause I've been there for the last few hours and haven't seen you log in.
    For some reason, I just keep going to the java console. I'm too lazy to use actual IRC. :P

That, and I'm often popping in and out. So... yeah, I'm a bender newbie. I haven't quite gotten everything down pat yet.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I gotta agree...I just started going a few weeks ago and I love it! But one of my favorite scripts went unmentioned...

!cag - it brings up the latest Cheapassgamer posts.

xenu is brilliant, he makes the chat great. Portnoyd, Papastu, Perkar, and a lot of others that are regularly there make this place worth visiting. You get to learn so much more about the people from DP by going there...and a lot of the people are just great!

I say go...and if you go and no ones talking...come back later! We have our ups and downs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro
    and all the people who literally idled for weeks at a time (I asked one guy why he idled so much, and he told me that he preferred to just log everything and read it later. I then asked him how he was able to read two weeks of logs at a time, and he admitted that he just skims them. Ah, the power of the internet).
    Sounds like me.. I've been idling on IRC for literally about 7 years Ask me why I 'idle'.. the answer is easy. I turn on my computer, I start up Mirc and the 10 or so channels I regularly log into come up. I do glance in sometimes but usually I'm doing some work or just surfing the web, etc. Then I get off the pc, I don't turn it off... it stays on until I come back maybe hours later. If the pc stays on for a week or two, then I'm basically logged in for a week or two. It's just something that always runs in the taskbar that I can pull up if I want to chat for a particular moment, etc. I don't feel the need to read any old logs, I just talk when I want. Easy But the service is generally always running.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

as a total newb to setting this kind of stuff up, how can I get there using trillian?
    Keep It Stinky, Baby