Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game console that has aged the best pre-128-bit gen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Game console that has aged the best pre-128-bit gen

What home consoles have aged the best and/or worst throughout the years?
    tell us why also was it the games ? the overall gameplay etc? lets say pre-Dreamcast or current gen.
    I will have to go with:
    SUPER NES: all the way, if I can play the Chrono Trigger port on the PSX with its slighty bothersome load times and still have a better experience than with the latest RPGs on both PS2 and XBOX (well maybe not Star Wars:KOTOR) then that should speak volumes on the SNES behalf shouldnt it?
    NEO-GEO: 90% of the games released on this venerable arcade/home console system will stand the test of time like no other in my opinion.When I think of games like Samurai Shodown and Magician Lord I look at them as High-tech works of art really. It is sad that the majority of current-gen gamers out there that started with the PSX will never see these excellent hand-drawn 2-D games in the same light as us "older" gamers that was raised on the greatness that was and still is 2-D.
    umm now im going to backtrack a little
    PSone: dont think that Im contradicting myself here I have to mention the PSX for the sheer number of great franchises that began life on this system and the old standards that were completely revamped and overhauled for the first time in 3-D like the Metal Gear series and the Final Fantasy series.
    Of course most of these games look very pale in comparison with the current gen versions but they still havent aged as badly as other 3-D games on 3DO Saturn etc.
    Now for the worst
    N64: should speak for itself when the only games on this sytem that look even halfway decent today were the ones made by nintendo themselves or RARE. at one time I was kinda a N64 fanboy but damn this system really has aged badly oh so badly
    Saturn: while I still consider this as one of my favorite systems overall and think of it as a 2-D god especially compared to the limited 2-D capabilities of the PSone I have to wonder why most 3-D games on this system look worse than the same 3-D games on 3DO? off-world interceptor anyone? while a beast of a machine (back in the day) for 2-D its 3-D capabilities were almost embarassing compared to the PSX or even (do i dare?) the N64
    SO what consoles have aged like fine wine and which have aged as gracefully as a 1973 ford pinto?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

Best: NES, Neo Geo MVS / AES

Worst: N64
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Best: Snes, Neo Geo

Worst: N64. Game Boy.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The best:

NES, Neo Geo, SNES

Worst:

3do, Saturn, N64

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Best- NES, SNES, and Neo Geo

Worst- N64
    <a href="http://bunnysnoog.cyborgcow.net/index.html">
    I adopted a cute lil' pirate fetus
    from Fetusmart! Hooray fetus! </a>

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Well it looks like everyone is saying pretty much the same thing here, and I;m not going to be too much different. NES, SNES, and Genesis for me are no brainers, but I'm going to have to disagree with Nez in that I think that the original Game Boy games have held up quite well in my opinion due to the backward compatibility of the GBA and the fact that it colorizes the games, which works quite well on most games. I still play original Game Boy games on a regular basis.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Best: Neo•Geo (Hmmm... 4 of its 14 years were spent in the 128 bit days), SEGA Genesis (The Colors... THE COLORS!), SEGA CD (Quality FMV just makes most of its games look great)

In the Middle: SEGA Saturn (Games like NiGHTS, Daytona USA, Fighting Vipers, Bug Too!, The Lost World, Panzer Dragoon Zwie and Saga all look excellent and outperform many PlayStation games even though a lot of them use that awful... look at the PSX thing...), Nintendo 64 (It is just about all 3D... Very Pointy Polygons and not much detail to them)

Worst: PlayStation (Only GREAT graphics on this system were the Hand Drawn backgrounds in Final Fantasy and others - That awful Zoomed-in-Blended look of backgrounds and wall tiles... Blech)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Best: NES, GENESIS, Game Boy, Saturn(kind of a personal thing for me. But i love my saturn, and still play it often)

Worst: N64(by far the worst), PSONE(cant stand playing psone games like twisted metal), Game Gea.r
    The Monarch: Hey, guess what? Nobody cares who would win in a crazy fantasy fist-fight between Anne Frank and Lizzie Borden. We never should have brought the henchmen. We're going to be the only ones there with henchmen!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47835

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How I think the consoles have aged...

Best Graphics...

SNES: I am still impressed by some games(even today), DKC 2&3, Final Fantasy 3, Chrono Trigger, ect,ect,ect

NeoGeo: I had never seen much of this system until about a year ago, I saw some screen shots of some games(and played a few) and my exact words were: "Holy shit, those games look GREAT!" IMO this systems graphics will always look great.

Worst graphics...

PS1: I used to be impressed, but now I find that almost all PlayStation games look pretty bad. The only ones that still make me say "hmmm, not bad" are...FFVIII, FFIX, Tekken 3, Twisted Metal 4, Rayman. Everything besides those(mainly the early stuff) Look pathetic.

Saturn: I love most 2D Saturn games(and a few 3D ones like VF2,Fighters:Megamix, NiGHTS,ect). but I would say around 80% of the Saturns games look like pure crap nowdays.

Genesis: Like the Saturn, the exclusive games(Sonic series, Streets of Rage series, Vectorman) look pretty nice and full of color. But almost every multi platform game looks better/sounds better on the SNES.

3DO: With 3D games that look worse then the PS1, and even the Saturn time has not been kind to this system.

Nintendo 64: Super Mario 64/Donkey Kong 64/Goldeneye/Perfect Dark/Banjo Kazooie and Tooie/ All still look decent, but everything else just looks bad!

Best gameplay wise..

Everything on the list, just take away the 3DO and add the NES.

I like all of these systems(accept the 3DO cause I could never find something I liked), but in my opinion the 2D games will always be aging better then the 3D games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BEST: NES/SNES/2D-Saturn/Neo Geo
    WORST: 3D-Saturn, PSX, N64, 3DO
    -Jan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I really can't understand why everyone is saying NES. Not to disrespect the machine and it's place in history, but everything about it is firmly rooted in the 80's.

Best: Vectrex (timeless really), Neo

Worst: PS1, Jag (bar T2000), N64 (3rd Party)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My personal thoughts.

Best: PC Engine/Turbografx CD - for how old it is, it is still very impressive.

Worst: 3DO - was never all that great in the first place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Genesis for me, smoothly animated 2D with little or no slowdown, and classic hardware generated sound

the SNES is in the middle, things like mode 7 look really bad now, and the midi sound is just flat sounding. plus the slowdown you get in action games prooves time and time again that it is an incredibly overrated system

as for worst, that goes to the PSX. 1st generation 3D games with textures are the ugliest video game graphics ever. 1st generation 2D games, while blocky, were at least clean and well defined. The N64 knew this and used blurring to soften up the look, so they get extra points for trying. The Saturn is in the same boat as the PSX, but since the Saturn wasnt intended to be a 3D only system, you cant fault sega and those bonus points are deducted from the PSX for forcing 3D on the public before it was ready.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Best : Genesis , Saturn, NES (my genesis and saturn get ALOT of usage , my 2 fav consoles of all time)

Worst : I find my N64 collecting dust
    Got it in you?
    www.anipike.com

Strawberry (Level 2) Pedro Lambrini's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd have to go for the SNES. Some of the games are just absolutely lovely! Look at Yoshi's Island, Super Mario RPG or the DKC series I think these games, among others, will always have charm...

Worst would have to be Playstation - I pretty much hated the thing when it was big ( to the point it put me off console gaming until I picked up a cheap N64! ) The graphics are just plain awful and 90% of the (admittedly huge) games catalogue is just plain dull!! AND it was the killer of 2D and the birth place of Geek Chique!!! Over-rated, under-powered piece of junk *deep breath* Sorry folks just needed to get that off my chest

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Best: Atari 2600. Nothing has ever really been better.

Worst: N64 There are only 3 or 4 games on that system I will ever play again.

D
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid
    the SNES is in the middle, things like mode 7 look really bad now

Oh yeah. Recently playing some games that contain this made me realize that Mode 7 stuff was just a huge pixelated 2D sprite. Not as good as i remember it being I still like the SNES though.

Anything 2D pretty much holds up. I dont know what it is about sprites that come off timeless but they do hold up 10+ years down the line.

I'd say Saturn's 3D games, Virtua Boy, N64, and some PSX games are just nasty. to look at nowadays.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Best = Sega Genesis and Atari 7800.
    Worst = Yeah, the N64.

E

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Best: NES, Super Nintendo, GameCube, Sega Genesis and PS2

Worst: Nintendo 64, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast and Virtual Boy

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Best: 2600, Sega Master, TG16, Genesis
    Worst: Odyssey2, Intellivision, 3DO, NES

I'm surprised so many people hate the N64 - I'm still having great fun with mine.
    -Ron