Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 2 1/2 h ?...uhm.....no thanks!

taken from gameinformer interview with President And CEO Of SCEA Kaz Hirai
    about the PSP:
    Again, if you're just listening to music with no visuals at all then it should last, as I said yesterday, about eight to ten hours just like an iPod would. If you are playing a game that is consistently cycling through and putting the CPU to good use, yeah, battery life is going to be shorter. Maybe about two and a half, three hours.

2 1/2 hours battery life when you play a game?
    Ooooooooookay
    x_x

source:
    http://gameinformer.com/News/Story/2...1354.39666.htm

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Battery life is one of the things thats i was sorta interested in with the new handhelds- It takes a heck of a lot of power to push polygons than it does sprites and now that people want "handheld 3d thats compact and lasts a long time" you can hardly blame sony for giving people what they want.

Its like laptops- P4 laptops are powerful but suck batteries, whereas the centrino is still fast but doesnt have the big (mainly marketing) numbers of the P4 so people buy a laptop thats overpowered and then complain when it uses the power reserve too quick.

Anyone know nintendo's estimates for battery/charge life? Surely a regular backlit (?) with an additional touch screen and whizzo bang 3d cant be kind to battery charge...

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

I have'nt seen anything that indicates the DS is going to be a 3D system -- it's just kind of like a improved GBA. So you should be able to get around eight to ten hours of playing time on a charge, compared to ten to twelve on a GBA SP.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    I have'nt seen anything that indicates the DS is going to be a 3D system -- it's just kind of like a improved GBA. So you should be able to get around eight to ten hours of playing time on a charge, compared to ten to twelve on a GBA SP.
    Two lit screens, touch screen has to be electrified, wouldn't know about dedicated 3D hardware but the DS -is- going to push polygons. Look at the Metroid and Mario Kart game slated for release. I'm being pessimistic but I'd wager 5 to 6 hours. Maybe 4.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe someone will make a boost add on like some company is making for cell phones. Shit, Sony will probably offer it at launch as an Assc. Great, can't wait. x_x

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spoon
    Maybe someone will make a boost add on like some company is making for cell phones. Shit, Sony will probably offer it at launch as an Assc. Great, can't wait. x_x
    Very true.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatescape
    Battery life is one of the things thats i was sorta interested in with the new handhelds- It takes a heck of a lot of power to push polygons than it does sprites and now that people want "handheld 3d thats compact and lasts a long time" you can hardly blame sony for giving people what they want.
    Technology has evolved. It doesn't necessarily take a heck of a lot more power to push polygons than it does sprites if the chips are designed differently, and they are. My P4 2.4 GHz machine is running off the same size power supply that my 286 did. It's just that the chips are designed differently.

Its like laptops- P4 laptops are powerful but suck batteries, whereas the centrino is still fast but doesnt have the big (mainly marketing) numbers of the P4 so people buy a laptop thats overpowered and then complain when it uses the power reserve too quick.
    The only difference between the Centrino processors -- specifically the M series -- and the P4 is purely cost. Not just that, but Centrino's actually process at a slightly faster rate than P4s. The problem is that I can get a 2.8 GHz P4 with a bunch of nice add ons for only $1400.00, whereas a 2.4 GHz Intel M with the same specs will cost me about $2800.00.

One of the biggest differences is how the chipsets are designed though, and the M series can last for much longer while sucking less batteries. This happens because the chips were produced differently, thus producing the much-longer battery time on a similarly powered chip.

So anywho, the point is that it seems like Sony either didn't develop its chip enough or that it is not battery effective in its current form. We'll see if they address that problem before launch. I think they are in the same position as Nintendo was with the Playstation though -- they feel they are undefeatable, and that it will be a huge success no matter how poorly designed the unit is.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spoon
    Actually, the Lynx was the first system I can remember doing this. The original Game Boy did it too if I recall correctly. No matter what the battery life is, people will want more. Although, I fully agree that 2.5 hours of battery life is unacceptable -- my Lynx got 6ish I believe!
    Dan Loosen
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Am I the only one that thinks battery technology is being held back? I used to teach Engrish for Toshiba Battery (yes, this whole big ass Toshiba subsidiary's entire business was batteries). Never got the truth out of them. It was the worst class I ever taught.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

A conspiracy?

The DS is gonna have 3D titles, no doubt about it - if you've seen the Metroid: Hunters or Mario 64 x4 footage you should know that!

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks like it's time for me to search out a nice comfy place to sit next to an ac outlet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The ds will have a much longer battery life then the psp. The ds might have two screens but unlike the psp there is no cd to spin no lens to move and finally no extra garbge like the psp has.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My PalmPilot from two or three years ago can go for about 8 to 10 hours of actual use over a week or two before it's batteries die. It is a color touch screen and I have done some gaming on it. I would expect that the DS and the PSP would've lasted at least the same amount of time before hearing this.

And spinning a CD shouldn't be that taxing on the PSP either -- I have had a Sony brand CD player in my car that has played music with the same two AA batteries for the past four months at least. I'd say the two AA's in there have lasted at least 60 hours so far, and they are still holding up fine.

I'm definitely surprised that the Sony unit will have such a lesser amount of battery power... especially since they do have vast resources to draw on.
    Dan Loosen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The sony ceo said himself that it would have 2 1/2 hours of play time. Also music cds are a lot easyer to play the game cds. Game cds have to search all over the cd for the info they need. Its different for a music cd, there information is usually right after the previous info on the disk. No need to search.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o