Thread: I need some MORE C64 help.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I need some MORE C64 help.

If you dont already know, I have had C64 problems for over a year, and you nice folks have helped me overcome it. Now, I need some more help.

1.) do i need to put a cart in the back to run the disc drive, or the system itself?

2.) here is what I have for my setup to try to get that pos to work. The system itself, a sega genesis model1 RF cord, the power cord, disc drive, and the power cord for the disc drive

3.) When i turn on the system, some lines run up and down the tv, but nothing else. should i buy an AV cord for the system to try to get it to run through my AV ports?

Any more past experiences you have, or problems that are helpful, post on this topic. It just might help me get my C64 working agian.
    Somebody once told me to get a life.

I told them I sold it for money to buy video games.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1) No.

2) You also need a cable connecting your disk drive to the system (but you probably knew that).

3) Problem might be the Genesis RF switch you're using , but I don't know. Hopefully someone else can help you here.

Good luck!

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Re: I need some MORE C64 help.

Quote Originally Posted by GENESISNES
    3.) When i turn on the system, some lines run up and down the tv, but nothing else. should i buy an AV cord for the system to try to get it to run through my AV ports?
    When I see lines running up and down my TV it's because I've either got a bad cartridge plugged in, or the cartridge isn't plugged in completely "right". Assuming you have no cartridges plugged into your C64, it sounds BAD. Like BAD OS BAD. Do the patterns change? Is anything moving?

In any case, if you're getting a display (meaning that your C64 is creating the line image on your TV), then there's nothing wrong with your RF adapter, and getting A/V isn't going to help.

I know this isn't a solution, but hopefully it's a clue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

fisrt off, the Genesis RF box is not made for the C64. The C64 I have can't auto switch a Generic Nintendo switcher on at all. Nor can the c128's I've had. You really want an AV cable for the best quality anyway.

When you power on a c64 you should get a red LED on the top of the machine, a "pop" sound in your speakers, and the screen might roll once but after 1-2 seconds the system BASIC screen should be up.

Now if it doesn't come on, don't keep switching it on. First thing to do is open it up and re-seat all the chips, I would start with the CPU as a dead, loose CPU will cause your problems. 6502 CPU - new chip $7.95. If the board is dusty then blow it off with an air hose.

The c64 internals get real hot with only passive cooling. These chips have a short life and many c64's died during a hot summers day. The c128 is much better off as they used the RF shield as a heat speader by making it contact the chips.

You can still buy every chip in a c64 new. Though some places like Sensable Software pray on the stupid and ask $15.00 for a $1.49 RAM chip.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are only 4 things you need to make your Commodore 64 work:
    (1) Commodore 64
    (2) Television set to channel 2 or 3 or 4
    (3) TV/Game switchbox from Radio Shack (and the round composite cable)
    (4) Power cord

You don't need anything else. Disconnect the drive, the carts, or anything else that might interfere with proper operation. Connect the TV/Game switchbox to the VHF antenna terminals on your TV. Run the cable back to the rear of your C=64. Set to "Game" and then turn it on. You should see a pretty blue screen on either channels 2 or 3 or 4.

BTW, your "line" problem sounds similar to what my Plus/4 produced when it broke. It doesn't sound good. Maybe you can visit lemon64.com and find someone to sell you a *working* Commodore=64?
    Troy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If your going to buy a "new" anything get a C128.. They are well engineered, support C64, C128, and CB/M software; have all the same ports along with a RGB video port and usually come packed with a 1571 drive (the best 5.25" drive for these systems.) C128's are made to last and the second you open one up you realize real quick how superior they are to the c64.

.. here's the clincher, they go for the same price as a breadbox c64 and 1541 (i hate these drives) on Ebay.

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How is a 1571 better than a 1541 drive?
    TROY'S GAMING HISTORY
    1977- Atari 2600 (primitive)
    1985- Commodore=128 (8-bit)
    1989- Amiga 500 (16-bit)
    1991- zzzzzzzzzzz :scatter:
    2002- Playstation 2 (128-bit)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

Default 1571

A 1571 supports "burst" reading in C128 mode if you have a C128 (also some speeder carts support this). Also, it's doublesided as opposed to the single sided 1541. Furthermore, if you have a 1571-II, it's considerably smaller than an original 1541.

I still kick myself for getting rid of my 1581 and CMD 20 megger in 1995

Brian

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks for all of your help. im deciding on the C128. all versions of the disc drive are compatable w. the c128, right?
    Somebody once told me to get a life.

I told them I sold it for money to buy video games.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yup. Everything that works on a C64 will work on a C128, though most software requires that you are in C64 mode. To do that, just type "GO64", or hold down the C= key when you turn it on.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: 1571

Quote Originally Posted by icbrkr
    A 1571 supports "burst" reading in C128 mode if you have a C128 (also some speeder carts support this). Also, it's doublesided as opposed to the single sided 1541. Furthermore, if you have a 1571-II, it's considerably smaller than an original 1541.

I think you meant 1541-II (white instead of biege)? 1571 is faster, but not in 64 mode. In 64 mode it's just as slow as a 1541. That's why I never bothered to upgrade.

Does the 1571's double-sided mode work in 64 mode?

Troy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea, but you can modify the write protect sensor (shorting it out so it always reads unprotected) or cut a grove on the right side of your DS/DD disks and you can use both sides with your C64 (or c128 in c64 mode) doubling the amount of disks and space you have. This is something you can't do on the 1541 or 1541-II.. only the 1571.

And threw the RGB port on the C128 you can make a HDTV Component cable that supports 80 column mode.. crazy..

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So the 1571 in C=64 mode was not double-sided... you still had to physically flip the disks. Correct?

I wonder why Commodore didn't make the 1541-II a double-sided drive? It would have been an easy fix to make... just add a second head. Maybe it was a compatibility issue with write-protected software.

I had the original 1541. Due to lack of funds, I never bothered to upgrade anything. I had a C=128, but couldn't use its extra feautres like 80-column mode or fast-load 1571 or 3.5" 1581.
    TROY'S GAMING HISTORY
    1977- Atari 2600 (primitive)
    1985- Commodore=128 (8-bit)
    1989- Amiga 500 (16-bit)
    1991- zzzzzzzzzzz :scatter:
    2002- Playstation 2 (128-bit)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*edited out* must... control... anger...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

Default Re: 1571

Quote Originally Posted by theaveng
    Quote Originally Posted by icbrkr

I think you meant 1541-II (white instead of biege)? 1571 is faster, but not in 64 mode. In 64 mode it's just as slow as a 1541. That's why I never bothered to upgrade.

Does the 1571's double-sided mode work in 64 mode?

Troy
    No, I meant the 1571 II .. like the 41 II, it had an external power supply. The 1571 is faster in c64 mode if you had a speeder cartridge (like the Super Snapshot 5 cart). It would use the burst mode of the 1571.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't know that! I thought there was only one version of the 1571. Looks like I shoulda upgraded after all... (shrug) oh well.

Troy

P.S. Raedon: Whatever you're angry about, you can email me privately to discuss.