.o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Munchies879

I like this quote:

"Takashi Oka, an analyst at UFJ Tsubasa Securities Co. in Tokyo, said Nintendo will likely hold up against the threat from Sony's offerings because of its ability to come up with appealing game software. Sony's PlayStation Portable, nicknamed PSP, will also probably be mostly used to watch video instead of playing games, he said.

"Nintendo's power in creating game software is still going strong," Oka said. "I don't consider the PSP as a game machine so its arrival won't affect Nintendo.""

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    N30V3N0M
    Steam
    N30V3N0M

It lookz like a PDA (I think that is what it is called).

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gamegirl79
    I like this quote:

"Takashi Oka, an analyst at UFJ Tsubasa Securities Co. in Tokyo, said Nintendo will likely hold up against the threat from Sony's offerings because of its ability to come up with appealing game software. Sony's PlayStation Portable, nicknamed PSP, will also probably be mostly used to watch video instead of playing games, he said.

"Nintendo's power in creating game software is still going strong," Oka said. "I don't consider the PSP as a game machine so its arrival won't affect Nintendo.""

Wow, how naive!

Either way, I still don't think we need a new console yet. I think handhelds are long over due but a console. no way!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVenom
    It lookz like a PDA (I think that is what it is called).
    Those pictures are of the Nintendo DS, which does look like a PDA. That's not the new console the article is talking about.

Do you all think gamers want a different way of gaming, or do they just want better (or more) games?

Strawberry (Level 2) Pedro Lambrini's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think people, especially casual gamers, will probably resist this for a while like they do all new things (how long did it take for controllers for PC to really take off!?!). But I truly hope the Revolution is just that! A home console with touch screen controllers (I hope!) could be pretty groovy!!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

"I don't consider the PSP as a game machine so its arrival won't affect Nintendo."
    Mmm...kay. Those Nintendo folks, always good for a chuckle worthy quote.

So, did I read this article right? They're talking about a new console to compete with the PS2? Or is this just your basic "duh!" article proclaiming that Nintendo is going to have a "next generation" machine as well as everyone else? I really couldn't tell from the way the article was written.

I agree with Cmosfm. The home consoles aren't hurting nearly as bad as the handhelds. The GBA was dated technology before it was even released and I haven't seen a whole lot of the DS that seems to be much of a leap over it.

@Flack, no I don't want a new way to play games, I just want some current gen games worth playing. Apparently that's too much to ask.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Munchies879

Yeah I did actually laugh out loud when I read the very last sentence of the article. I look forward to the DS, but to say that the arrival of the PSP won't affect Nintendo is pretty darn naive.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong
    So, did I read this article right? They're talking about a new console to compete with the PS2? Or is this just your basic "duh!" article proclaiming that Nintendo is going to have a "next generation" machine as well as everyone else? I really couldn't tell from the way the article was written.
    I believe its another "Yup, we got a new console coming out too!" article.

The GBA was dated technology before it was even released and I haven't seen a whole lot of the DS that seems to be much of a leap over it.
    Something about the DS doesnt sit well with me. From the idea that two screens will suddenly make gaming better to the way that this system "will not replace the GBA".

It might also have to do with the fact that I havent thought highly of Nintendo over the past 4 years. From the GBA to GBA SP debacle to the insistance that certain GBA games require 10 other accessories to play the game as promsied on the box.

I really hope that the DS doesnt follow along the GBA and be nothing but a refuge for SNES ports...but knowing how Nintendo is my hopes arent very high.

@Flack, no I don't want a new way to play games, I just want some current gen games worth playing. Apparently that's too much to ask.
    I agree. I'd like some current stuff that worthwhile, not new stuff that needs to be perfected.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The GBA was dated technology before it was even released and I haven't seen a whole lot of the DS that seems to be much of a leap over it.
    So two forms of wireless connection, area-wide instant matchmaking abilities, touchscreen, great 3D hardware *and* proper shoulder buttons don't make this much of a leap over the GBA? This machine does things that I had to pay $100+ to get my PC to do.

To each their own, but I'd rather have some areas (i.e. graphics) stick to cheaper technology and put the money into areas that'll give me greater control of the game. I'm a fan of the old stuff, but I'm not a fan of two-button nonsense sticking around for today's games. If you're a fan of the old stuff and mad because you don't like the thought of 3D games on the system, well, one needs to own up to that instead of putting down the hardware.

This analyst is absolutely correct about the need for Nintendo to put new ideas into its hardware, but I'm a bit mystified about his apparently complete dismissal of the PSP. I'm inclined to think that system will bomb, so perhaps he's just being overly dramatic and blunt about it. I think some people here will agree with me that a system whose top anticipated title is Metal Gear Acid (which is not an action game) has an uncertain, rough future, and he might be trying to send a message to Sony. Goodness knows I would if I was in his position.

I think what it comes down to is that the game industry has been in a really shitty place for some time now - participants are scared to cater to "harcore" gamers only, but they don't know what sort of games to make that people will really like. I think the PSP is one manifestation of a dead (to me) branch of the gaming evolutionary tree, catering to fans of not-fun interactive games and 3D action games. There's so many other ways to game, and I think that all original ideas tend to do is spawn shameless copying. This is indeed a familiar rant, but the game industry is at a point where just letting this go on can be a deadly thing for business.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Nintendo Revolution is the next home console from Nintendo....itll be going up against PS3 and Xbox Next....
    Avenger Out

DC Underground

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You sure about that? I hear this leather goods company from Connecticut has a pretty wicked machine coming...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

funny guy....i said that becuz sum peope who posted be4 seem to be gettin the DS and the Revolution confused....ie the guy who said it was a PDA
    Avenger Out

DC Underground

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Yeah I did actually laugh out loud when I read the very last sentence of the article. I look forward to the DS, but to say that the arrival of the PSP won't affect Nintendo is pretty darn naive.
    I read it as being more arrogant then naive, some of the stuff Nintendo was saying at e3 sounded similar, as if they want everyone to be reassured that the PSP isn't going to drive them out of the market.

As for the GBA being dated technology? Christ fuck technology, when the GBA came out I was excited because it was an exclusively 2D machine. Sure 2D's nothing new but it had me excited.

I can't wait until everyone quits jerking off over the novelty of 3D graphics and we start seeing some more 2D games being made for home consoles again. I can't imagine 2D hurting Four Sword's sales. :P

Ok that wasn't completely in response to uh... whoever I was replying to but just venting.

And the only thing that worries me about the DS is that Nintendo might push multiplayer gaming harder then it already has with the GBA. I know, I know multiplayer is cool, but I'm not buying a game twice just to play with my boyfriend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Daria
    I read it as being more arrogant then naive, some of the stuff Nintendo was saying at e3 sounded similar, as if they want everyone to be reassured that the PSP isn't going to drive them out of the market.
    Arrogance is telling us that people want to play interactive movies when - going by the numbers - it seems that isn't what people want. Perhaps it's stupidity or blindness instead of arrogance. Whatever the case, Sony seems to be banking on bringing out a machine so completely overpowered that this alone will be a replacement for having - as Nintendo seems to - a plan for getting developers to bring new, exciting games to consoles.

As for the GBA being dated technology? Christ fuck technology, when the GBA came out I was excited because it was an exclusively 2D machine. Sure 2D's nothing new but it had me excited.

I can't wait until everyone quits jerking off over the novelty of 3D graphics and we start seeing some more 2D games being made for home consoles again. I can't imagine 2D hurting Four Sword's sales. :P
    I myself would like to make 2D games, and I think that graphics chip makers need to figure out a better way for their hardware to handle 2D. That said, 2D is - should be - really just a matter of style. It's not at all impossible to render the same scene with 3D graphics as with 2D - and it's possible to get more polished graphics as a result. Possible. So like you say, hardware isn't a consequence. To finally get to where I was taking this, the DS seems to be taking 2D gaming into consideration again. The spinning cubes tech demo was 2D, and so is the baby-Mario-on-clouds game. The PSP, for whatever it's worth, has Metal Gear Acid, which seems to be a 3D game.

I get the feeling that your problem is with the stylistic end of things, instead of a gripe against 3D per se. You're not a fan of Metal Gear Solid or top-down 3D games, correct? I can sympathize with that, but it seems to me that getting the focus back onto pleasantly done graphics is going to be hard up against a large number of types who keep pushing the realistic graphics side of things.

And the only thing that worries me about the DS is that Nintendo might push multiplayer gaming harder then it already has with the GBA. I know, I know multiplayer is cool, but I'm not buying a game twice just to play with my boyfriend.
    It's been reported many times that you can have multiplayer games with just one cartridge. Even I know that.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Ed... yeah I just like a variety in style. I've seen both beautiful 2d and 3d games and I want both dammit. But that's just the artist in me bitching I know.

As for multiplayer games using one cartridge... well I hadn't read that. But the last I read on the DS was Fatman's e3 coverage and I know they didn't mention it. I wonder if Animal Crossing will be like that... I hope so.

Pretzel (Level 4) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Duncan1800
    PSN
    Duncan1800

Well, hell. If nothing else, I like the name.

"Join the Nintendo Revolution...or DIE!"

*kidding, of course*

*mostly*
    Active systems owned: Wii, X360, PS3
    Inactive systems owned: RCA, INTV2, NES, SMS, Genesis, Lynx, SNES, Saturn, PS1, GBC, DC, PS2, GBA, Xbox, GC, PSP, DS
    Systems wanted: Coleco, 7800, TG16, GG, 3DS, Vita, WiiU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I don't think he's being naive as much as he's being a marketing person. That's what you're supposed to say, that you don't care about the competition because your product is going to be so new and revolutionary that people won't care what the other guy is doing or coming out with.

I'm sure Nintendo would love to have Willy Wonka spies over at Sony and Microsoft to find out what's going on. Of course you can't say that in an article, because it makes you look concerned and worried. So instead you say, "Sony? Who's that? They're making a console now? Does it have two screens? Oh, ours has two screens ..." and stuff like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default The bottom line....

The bottom line is that you know that Nintendo is going to have a console in the ring with the PS3 and the Microsoft Xbox thingy sometime either at the end of 2005 or 2006. Right now, they are making some great sequels for the Gamecube, enough to float it to the next system(alot like the N64). The console thing just has not been thier cash cow for the last two systems, but with the SP doing great, they will stay afloat...for now. It will be very interesting to see how this next full year plays out, for you have two serious game companies making portables that will both try to compete for the portable market. On one hand you have the DS which may possibly split the Nintendo fanbase/SP crowd. Its advantage will POSSIBLY be battery life, price point, and backwards compatibility. Next you have the PSP, which takes the technoligical road, with impressive visuals and slew of options such as a movie player and so on. The questions for the PSP are the battery life and price point...both of which Sony is going to have to be careful with. Both systems at this point in time show their strengths...but the bottom line is, is the market ready for two expensive portables and three new consoles in the next two years??? No, this is not another "crash" statement, but if you ask me, the market may be able to handle three systrems right now...but for how long? People are going to have to make choices...and someone is going to loose their ass in the next game war
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist