Thread: Final Days of DREAMCAST a quick retrospective

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Final Days of DREAMCAST a quick retrospective

By Cliff O'Neill
    Designed by Katie Bush

Sadly, the Dreamcast will soon be occupying an empty grave beside the late Saturn in the dreaded console graveyard--but its games will indeed live on! While the beloved 128-bit system never saw sequels to Panzer Dragoon Saga, NiGHTS, or Burning Rangers (among other Saturn favorites), the little white console with the triangular orange light and noisy internal fan can rest peacefully knowing that it--along with its older brother, the Saturn--laid the foundation for online console gaming and delivered a diverse lineup of quality games. And the games are still coming, though only a handful will be major releases, Shenmue II and Tennis 2K2 among them. Nope, we will not see Virtua Fighter 4 nor the next Sonic game on the Dreamcast, but rest assured that Sega is finding new homes for all of its popular game series.
    Debuting quietly in Japan on November 27, 1998, the Dreamcast managed to deliver a great deal of game-playing enjoyment in just a few short years of life. The system launched strongly in North America on September 9, 1999, with several key titles--namely, Sonic Adventure, Soul Calibur, and NFL 2K--making for a very successful launch, one that set records for system sales and the number of available launch titles (nearly 20). A built-in 56k modem, proprietary GD-ROM format, and unique Visual Memory Unit (VMU) peripheral drew curious gamers to the console with the promise of new gaming possibilities. Dozens of memorable games followed in all the major genres, and games such as Seaman, Jet Grind Radio, and Shenmue attempted to stretch the boundaries of gameplay, graphics, and sound. Sports games, both traditional and extreme, were plentiful and attracted various sports fans, while music and dance games such as Space Channel 5 and Samba de Amigo lured many nongamers, as well as the ever-elusive female gamer, to the system. In addition, RPG lovers had a good assortment of role-playing games from which to choose, including Grandia II, Skies of Arcadia, and Phantasy Star Online.

Like the Saturn, the Dreamcast received several superb ports of hit Sega-made arcade games, and Capcom, Tecmo, and Namco supplied the system with stellar arcade translations. Unlike the Saturn, however, the Dreamcast had strong third-party support--at least initially--though famed developer/publisher Electronic Arts thumbed its pretentious nose at the system. Capcom's blend of survival-horror graced the Dreamcast with the beautiful, fully rendered Code: Veronica and high-res ports of Resident Evil 2 and 3 and Dino Crisis, scaring a new crowd of gamers. Finally, with the Dreamcast, Sega aggressively tackled online console gaming, launching its very own online-gaming service, SegaNet, and providing an array of cooperative and competitive online-gaming scenarios, ranging from traditional racing action and bloody FPS deathmatches to the wondrous role-playing experience that is Phantasy Star Online.

Although Sega is abandoning the Dreamcast and exiting the hardware business altogether to focus on what it does best--making games--the Dreamcast still has some game left in it. In this feature, we explore the last batch of American releases during the system's final days above ground.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

VERY NICE!!

I do love all the port/arcade titles that the DC got. Alot of racing ones, particularly Sega GT, Daytona USA, House of the Dead, Confidential Mission, Crazy Taxi 1 + 2, Sega Rally - Just to name a few.
    I still am getting more and more titles everyday, well whenever I can. I am thinking about collecting every game released for the US only.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I forgot to mention that the ports for the RE series that were redone for the DC, I absolutely loved! I know alot of people that don't. Dino Crisis is also a bad ass game. I just can't say enough how much I love all those rare titles that were exclusive to the DC.
    LONG LIVE THE DREAMCAST!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I have all the RE DC ports and the Dino Crisis port and they look soo much better than the old PSX versions at least in this gamers eyes they also seem to play better

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Very nice article my good man!
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I once owned a DC and a PS1 at the same time and I believe the DC was the more advanced of both systems.

It had nicer games and all.

The problem is that I was stupid enough to let the DC go.

I will probably end up getting another one eventually.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played DC a lot more back then compared to PS2 now. It introduced me to online gaming which ended up being a serious addiction for me. I did manage to win a few SegaNet memorabilia items before DC died tho:

http://img63.photobucket.com/albums/...a/scooter1.jpg
    http://img63.photobucket.com/albums/...ega/shirt1.jpg
    http://img63.photobucket.com/albums/...ga/shirt2b.jpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can get one at almost any game store for about $20-25...go pick one up

I re-acquired one a few months ago and am lovin' it. I dunno what it is, but the games are just fun on that system. and it's kinda nice the graphics are still keeping up with the newer systems, i think it looks pretty close to ps2 graphics. Best of all tho, the great loading times on 2D games

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

I never had a Saturn, so I can't comment on it at all, but I do have a Dreamcast and it is really an awsome system. It has so many great games, and it's a damned shame that it got killed off so fast. It should still be on the market now. Shit they still make PS1 games so certainly they should still be making dreamcast games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sabre2922
    Yeah I have all the RE DC ports and the Dino Crisis port and they look soo much better than the old PSX versions at least in this gamers eyes they also seem to play better
    Oh yeah, in this gamers eyes as well they definately play better on the DC. Hell RE2 plays better on the N64 than the ps1. I had both versions of RE for the PS1, then got them for the DC. Everything about them was better, but of course it should be because of them being on more of an advanced system.

Does anyone know if they just ported the RE games to the DC, or did they actually redo some things so it would show up better, play better, etc. without changing the actually game?

I also, in the past couple months have picked up ALL versions, except RE2 which I personally think is the best in the series which I will be buying asap when I see it, of the RE series on Gamecube. I can't tell too many differences between the DC + GC, but can say that the GC might play a little better. Well to me at least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xKeponex
    I once owned a DC and a PS1 at the same time and I believe the DC was the more advanced of both systems.

It had nicer games and all.

I will probably end up getting another one eventually.
    Well of course the DC was more advanced than the PS1. You can't compare to the DC having 128 graphics, modem, online capability, and whatever else - to the ps1 having 32 bit graphics.

You should definately go and get a DC as soon as you can. Yeah, usually ever game store has them for like 20-30. Awesome buy!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whoisKeel
    I re-acquired one a few months ago and am lovin' it. I dunno what it is, but the games are just fun on that system. and it's kinda nice the graphics are still keeping up with the newer systems, i think it looks pretty close to ps2 graphics. Best of all tho, the great loading times on 2D games

Yeah, I had a DC on 9-9-99 when they were released, had it for 2 years and didn't fully appreciated it's ability. I then reaquired a new one on ebay last year and now have 4 times as many games as I did than when the damn thing was released. And yes, the games are tons of fun on that system, espcially the games that you can't get on any other system, just the DC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is sad that the dreamcast died. I had a N64 at the time so I didn't know much of the dreamcast. Now I have a dc with 26 games (2x as much as N64) I must say it is one of my favorite systems. It was a pioneer in the industry, with a very diverse ammount of titles. The dreamcast should still be around today, heck imo the software department is much stronger for the Dreamcast then it is for the Ps2 or Xbox.

Three Cheers for the Dreamcast!
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been collecting systems since the original Odyssey. I had told myself that I would stop collecting after the 64bit era. I saw a lot of positive posts about the DC on this board. Two months ago I walked into my local Gamestop and bought the Console, 12 games, controllers, vmu's, and a fishing rod for less than $50. The system is truly remarkable with some really great games. I'm hooked on Vitrual Tennis, in love with Ulala, and raising Seamen

Dreamcast you will be missed...RIP.

Aha! Now we see the violence inherent in the system!

Pretzel (Level 4) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Duncan1800
    PSN
    Duncan1800

I also went the GameStop route. Fifty big ones got me a Dreamcast, VMU and Soul Calibur in near-perfect shape. Great value!

I played the hell out of Soul Calibur - I like it more than the sequel, actually.

This, consequently, got me hooked. I promptly went out and bought Crazy Taxi, Sega Rally 2, Samba de Amigo (no Maracas, though) and Space Channel 5. All great games.

I'm up to about 10 DC games so far - I'll get more later, but for the next little while I've drifted back to my cartridge pursuits. Next on the 'cast list is Grandia II, if I can find it.

I don't regret getting the DC for a second, though. Best used console I've purchased so far - and that includes the PSX I bought many years ago solely to play Gran Turismo. (GT owns my life, so that should tell you something!)
    Active systems owned: Wii, X360, PS3
    Inactive systems owned: RCA, INTV2, NES, SMS, Genesis, Lynx, SNES, Saturn, PS1, GBC, DC, PS2, GBA, Xbox, GC, PSP, DS
    Systems wanted: Coleco, 7800, TG16, GG, 3DS, Vita, WiiU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hmm, now if only all these new fans had been there in 2001...

(Please don't take offence, I'm not ribbing anyone, just pondering "what if...".
    I was the same with the Saturn, and didn't appreciate it's charms until late '98 by which time it was already buried )

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[quote="
    Does anyone know if they just ported the RE games to the DC, or did they actually redo some things so it would show up better, play better, etc. without changing the actually game?[/quote]

I know that the DC version of RE2 has all of the extras unlocked from the begining, including different costumes, the Hunk & Tofu Missions etc. This was reason enough for a hardcore RE fan like myself to purchase it, because as huge of an RE fan as I am, I could never accomplish the feat of earning that stuff on the PSone version, I mean come on, FFVIII had just come out at the time ^_^.

I LOVE the DC now. I worked at EB when it came out and I bought it on Launch day. Sadly though I must say that I have learned a few things since then. B/c at the time I was VERY unimpressed with Soul Calibur, I tried every launch game on the system and nothing grabbed me as much as Sonic. so I played the game until I could play no more and then being SUPER bored of the sysmtem, I returned it. There was a few month period after Launch where NO games came out at all and I got really impatient. I did however purchase a DC again a few months ago and I have collected what I think to be all the key titles. And as soon as I finish up Wind Waker, I'm jumping feet first into Shenmue I & II.

And in your article, please don't neglect to mention one of the coolest games of all time: REZ and mention the trance vibrator for the PS2 version. As perverted as some people's mind get when they think about the Trance vibrator, it really is awesome if you put it under your seat cushon, it shakes the whole chair...

DC will be plugged into my TV for a long time to come.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23
    Very nice article my good man!
    HELL YEAH!! AWESOME ARTICLE!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got my Dreamcast for my birthday when they were $99.00 (I think the one that I got was a little more, since it was the Smash Pack version.) I really loved the system, and played Tony Hawk 2, Rush 2049 and NBA 2K1 to death. I actually played every game in a season of NBA 2K1 with at least 8 minute quarters... it was time consuming, but it was really fun.

When the Dreamcast died, I started seeing tons of games that I had wanted to for a lot cheaper than the price that I paid to get them. I happily started grabbing anything that caught my eye...

And now I have every game that was released stateside, about 10 PAL releases and 25 Japanese releases, tons of goodies and so on. I also got pretty into the whole Dreamcast homebrew scene, and I'm working with them to get new Dreamcast game releases to be a pretty regular thing. I think that the Dreamcast may have a lot of life left.

Some interesting things to check out:

http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/...004/mgc072.jpg - a new game called DCASTLE, based on the game Star Castle but in full 3D with incredibly impressive realtime lighting effects.

http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/...004/mgc073.jpg - Cool Herders, a "sheep herding game" that seems to be one of the most anticipated future releases. Reminds me of Bomberman, sort of.

http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/...004/mgc047.jpg - The about-to-be-released Inhabitants being demoed by Brandon, the lead programmer.

Other than those, there are at least five other games in the works at the moment. The Dreamcast may be dead, but I think that it is going to have the best support past-death that any console has had. On top of that, the games coming out in Japan still rock!
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dreamcast. Best system ever. Without question.

(may or may not be biased :P )

I will admit however, I didn't get a DC back in the day. I desperately wanted one, but being a mid-teen with no income - it wasn't feasible. The only way to get one was to trade my N64 and all it's games in, and after hugely regretting doing that with my SNES back in 1997, I wasn't game to do that again.

Begging to my parents didn't help either.

I did finally pick up a DC in January 2003. Only wished I'd done it sooner.