Thread: need advice organizing growing collection

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default need advice organizing growing collection

I just started to collect consoles and games. I need a neat system where I don't have consoles and wiring everywhere. My small collection ranges from a NES to a PS2 and GC. I really don't have much yet. I don't plan on having anything premanently connected to my tv. I plan on having this stuff neatly organized in a closet so that I can grab a box/contaner with the hardware. Does anyone have any suggestions on what type of container is best to store this equipment? Also is there any sort of wire that converts a coax to a whachamacallit (the red, white, yellow)? The coax is kind of a pain.

I would like nothing more to proudly display my stuff but I'm married...enough said.

Roger

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dont have much advice about organizing your collection.
    As for converting a coax cable to RCA (the red, white, yellow), use a VCR.
    However, all three of those systems already have the capability to output RCA (unless your NES happens to be a top loader version).
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Default Re: need advice organizing growing collection

Quote Originally Posted by rscaramelo
    I just started to collect consoles and games. I need a neat system where I don't have consoles and wiring everywhere. My small collection ranges from a NES to a PS2 and GC.....Also is there any sort of wire that converts a coax to a whachamacallit (the red, white, yellow)? The coax is kind of a pain.

I would like nothing more to proudly display my stuff but I'm married...enough said.

Roger
    It sounds like what you really need is an RCA (aka composite video), switchbox. The three systems you say you own all actually have dedicated composite ports on them. I'm guessing you currently have your PS2 and GC hooked up with the composite cables and your NES is running off of coax (also known as RF). Now your NES - assuming it's a toaster, not a top loader - has those red and yellow ports on one side, yes? That's composite cable; it's not the standard, red, yellow and white, mind you, but it performs the same function. If you don't have the cable you can get a replacement from Best Buy or Radio Shack. Don't tell them you need an NES cable or you'll just confuce them. And don't worry about the color scheme, either. As long as it's a cable with two male RCA jacks on either end that's all you need.

While you're there, buy the aforementioned composite video switchbox. Get one that supports three or more inputs and presto. Happy wife, and happy husband with all three consoles hooked to one telly.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I'm with you on this one. I had 5 or 6 systems connected to my bedroom TV. I actually made the corner unit with all the shelves. I tried to keep all the cables neat by putting them in the flexible split hose computer hobbyists use. There was Cat 5 cable running back there and two big power strips and two system selectors. In one year I realized it wasn't a great idea. My first problem was when I married an American girl 20 yrs ago. The dust that collected on my systems was frightening. Then there was all those transformers plugged in, always warm, always a fire hazard. Though I had a lot of time and effort in it and it looked kinda cool, I took it all down. Boxed 'em back up and put them in the closet. Now I just bring the console of my choice out and plug it into the front jacks on the TV and play.
    Like you, I have tried to think of a way to keep this process neat. I would like to keep all the power and video cables attached to each console, but coiled and neat as much as possible. I thought about putting each in a stackable plastic box, but I decided I might want to play the console that was at the bottom of the stack, and being lazy would only play whatever was on top. I'm leaning towards just buying a nice dresser and putting the consoles in the drawers. It would keep the dust off and look nicer than stacked boxes.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I store my systems in 30 qrt Rubbermaid latch top storage boxes. They have clear body so you can see what is in them and a strong lid so you can stack them. They keep the dust out and have enough room to store the system, controlers and even some games.

The only problem is that a couple on months ago they stopped making them. Rubbermaid had the dumb idea of make 31 qrt storage boxes and raising the price. The new ones have clear lids that are not as strong. I have seem many of them with cracked lids in stores. A lower quality product at a higher price, what a deal!! x_x

Walmart is the lowest price place to find Rubbermaid boxes.

Anyone know where you can find the old 30 qrt Rubbermaid boxes?

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just use shelfs and old shoe boxes. The games i put in boxes tend to be loose so i put them in ziplock bags.

Oh and if you do decide to put games in bags or somesort of container. Make sure that a little air can get into the carts (or whatever). That way they don't build up moisture inside of them.
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.