Thread: Will you stick with the current gen systems for the long run

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Will you stick with the current gen systems for the long run

I Have been gaming for the last 30 years and Ive seen games and systems come and go over the years.
    It is the way of things when it comes to both the hobby and the business of videogames.
    With the current systems this has all changed the current systems full capabilities will most likely never be reached if most of the manufacturers (I.E. Microsoft and Nintendo) have anything to say about it since it seems that they are content on shortening the lifespans of their current gen systems Xbox and Gamecube respectively.
    Now dont get me wrong here I know this is nothing new to any of us that lived and suffered through the "last days" of Dreamcast and other great systems before it that were sacraficed long before there time, Turbographix-16 anyone?
    So here is the question I put in front of all fellow gamers out there who were here long before the PSX days and can remember when it was a small "geek" hobby long before it was cool to be playing the newest PS2 or Xbox sports game.
    Do you THE GAMERS really need or want a new system with slightly superior graphics? just because it has always been the tradition? In my opinion my PS2 and Xbox have just about everything I want or need in a game system, great graphics (I mean how much better do we need Gran Turismo to look anyway?)unlimited possibilities in gameplay online or off, full DVD capabilities etc.
    Anyway I have decided that IM sticking with my PS2 and Xbox until there are absolutely NO MORE GOOD GAMES coming out for either of them, For me the buck stops here, of course you have to keep this all in prospective from my point of view I started out on the venerable Atari 2600 and to say that was a million years ago in video game time is an understatement. I grew up on games that had blips for football players and when I read a post that says something along the line of "GTA 3 looks blocky and outdated" It truly makes me laugh out loud but I digress that is for another post all together
    In the end I agree with a comment that the great miyamotoson (creater and director of mario and Zelda) said recently in that the ongoing process of continually updating game systems just for better graphics has hit a brick wall, that it is time for more innovation and use of current technologies to be the focus (at least for the most part).
    LATER GAMERS!!!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

nope...im still living in the late 80's - early 90's
    Midwest

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, just because a game is not from the atari age doesn't mean it has immunity on looking like crap. I'm sure you can find more than a handful of psx/n64 era games that looks absolutely horrible. I still mostly play old school games but I love all three of my current gen consoles equally. I've enjoyed plenty on each and am sure I will continue to in the future. When a new console comes around (which is probably a ways away) I'm sure I'll buy it, but I also know I will still be buying games for my ps2/xbox/cube as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually wouldnt mind seeing no more new games being produced for a while. A couple of years at least. There are just too many good games that I will never get a chance to play otherwise.

So yeah, I dont think new systems are needed, certainly not yet. It seems to me that consoles usually have a 5 year life span. I think the current consoles should have a longer life span, not a shorter one. Graphics cant look "better" than reality, and they are darn close to looking real as it is. There are no more gameplay concepts that require better graphics.
    I think Nintendo might have the right idea with trying new concepts beyond graphics, although their ideas sometimes worry me, and even they should hold out for awile.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess its just the idea of "wow its the newest latest console thats coming out" that gets alot of people. I am perfectly satified with the current gen now. But it's still no where close looking like reality to me. I just read from an online site that nintendo will still be supporting GC long after the new nintendo system is out. Sort of like sony still makes PS one games. I will be buying both games (I mean the new nintendo system games, as well as EVERYTHING that looks good for the GC) when the new system arrives from nintendo.
    I guess just what catches me is that nintendo won't be releasing some games due to the new system coming out. For example, wasn't pilotwings suppossed to come out like a year ago, then they pushed the date back to when the "new" nintendo system is released. It's games like that that I am looking forward to playing. Games that are being unfortunately held until the new system.
    So anyways, I still will be buying both GC and the new nintendo system in 5 years from now. Hopefully nintendo will still be making GC games years after the release of the "new" system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been gaming since the days of the good old 2600. When flipping a game was the way of beating most of them.

With every next gen of consoles, brings with it some new games I've enjoyed.

The 8bit era gave me CastleVania, Metroid, Punch-Out!, Zelda, solo Mario games, Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy etc.

The 16bit era gave me Altered Beast, Sonic, Montana Football, Golden Axe, Sword Of Vermillion, Killer Instinct, Mortal Kombat, Super Street Fighter etc.

The 32/64bit era gave me Gran Turismo, Turok, Doom, Quake, Resident Evil, Ridge Racer, Tekken,
    Need For Speed, Dino Crisis, Legacy Of Kain, Silent Hill etc.

This gen is in full swing and so far I'm pleased with what I've played.

I know the next gen of consoles will bring with it something new, and I for one am looking foward to it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Will you stick with the current gen systems for the long

With the current systems this has all changed the current systems full capabilities will most likely never be reached if most of the manufacturers (I.E. Microsoft and Nintendo) have anything to say about it since it seems that they are content on shortening the lifespans of their current gen systems Xbox and Gamecube respectively.

I thought Nintendo (along with Sony) were actually hell-bent on EXTENDING the life of the current console generation? I'm all for it. The longer you let a system breathe, the better the games are going to get. Now there is definitely a time when you should release a new system lest you just sit on your laurels, but we're definitely not there yet. I bet people will be floored when they play the new Zelda game on the GC, the new GTA game on the PS2, Halo 2 on X-box, etc, I'm sure these will have people questioning the limits of the systems. This generation isnt even close to finished, I'd say it's at the half way mark. I agree with AMG - "this gen is in full swing".
    Cinnamon!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I think I'll stick with current gen. It's too early to even think about the next gen, especially since there isn't really anything concrete about the future systems. If next gen follows the pattern of this gen, I'll wait a little while before buying a system as NONE of the systems (except Dreamcast) had a system selling game or games (IMO). We bought the Cube based on Nintendo's history at launch but it didn't get real serious play except for sporadic hits like Eternal Darkness, Wind Waker and Super Monkey Ball (note: this was the "group machine", as my family and friends chipped in and these were the games that got heavy play collectively. It wasn't until I got my own that Animal Crossing, Prince of Persia, F-Zero GX and the Zelda Collector's Edition became a staple).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know what you mean when you think Nintendo is trying to start the next generation systems as soon as possible. Xbox is pushing it too fast, and Sony and Nintendo can only follow so history does not repeat as it did this generation. Nintendo has stated they want to keep the lifespan of the GameCube as long as possible and will be manufacturing the system long into the Revolution. There are even rumors of the Revolution connecting or having some kind of link to the GameCube to further extend the life span.

If anything its Microsoft that's runing everything.
    Mostly just play Nintendo 64. If you've got games PM me! Cart only.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

good point DBIERS