Thread: Info needed on "making" a cartridge...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Info needed on "making" a cartridge...

I want to actually take a Colecovision rom and make a real cart out of it to be able to play on a real Colecovision. Not for any other purpose but to be able to play the game on my real Colecovision. How can I do this? I have searched the net looking for info, but cannot seem to find any.

The reason I post this in the proto section is because I really don't know where else to ask this question in the forums, and the game I want to convert to a real cartridge is Pac-Man. I love the Colecovision version, can't find it anywhere, and really REALLY want to play it on the real deal

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's a reaso a DIY cart plan is so scare... it's not for the faint of the heart as it's fairly difficult and requires substanial knowledge of electronics and the system's detailed spec you want to build a cart for.

For example, Intellivision requires G1 ROM, something that aren't around anymore and making a G1 emulator is a daunting task. Atari 2600 also uses strange setup that requires a hex inverter to properly use an EPROM.

As for the Colecovision, you need an EPROM of suitable size (8K or something as I don't have Pac Man ROM), an EPROM burner, and if the ROM image is not in correct format for burning, a converter to make it compatible. And then you will need a donor cart, desolder the old chip out, check the poinout of the cart to the EPROM to see what needs to be rewired before installing the EPROM.

Since I'm not a CV expert, I can't give you the full detail. But this should give you an idea how difficult the project would be.

(PS anyone planning on a Supercharger or Cuttle cart version for CV? That would allow loading of any CV ROMs without having to erase and burn everytime.)
    Another day, another dollar... wake me when it's payday.
    still playing games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Yeah...

Sounds like it would be a task in a half. I would like to be able to do this nonetheless. I am sure someone out there has the means and documentation on as to how this is done...I'll just have to find that. Or figure it out for myself.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Allow me to elaborate here, as I constructed 90 Ms. Space Fury carts for our 10 year anniversary just prior to CGE last year.

First of all, you need:
    -A ColecoVision PCB (printed circuit board)
    -(if you don't have an empty PCB, you need) A de-soldering iron
    -(if you don't have an empty PCB, you need) A used ColecoVision PCB
    -One 27256 (32k) EPROM IC
    -One 74LS08 IC
    -An EPROM burner, I use the Intronics "Pocket Programmer"
    -An EPROM eraser (unless you have a pre-erased or new EPROM), I use the Datarase II by Walling Co)
    -A soldering iron, and solder, obviously
    -A binary with the ColecoVision game on it
    -A ColecoVision cartridge case (optional)
    -A 28-pin EPROM socket (optional)

Here's how it's done.

1. Insert an erased (or new) 27256 EPROM into the EPROM burner.
    2. Burn the ColecoVision binary image onto the EPROM, be sure to verify the binary against the chip before proceeding (your burner manual should have instructions for this).
    3. If you're NOT using a new/empty PCB, you need to de-solder the PROM from an existing ColecoVision game PCB.
    4a. If you have a socket, solder it to the PCB and skip step 4b. This is a good idea if you plan on re-using the EPROM for another game at a later date, you'll be able to pop it in and out of the socket.
    4b. Solder the EPROM to the PCB.
    5. Solder the small 74LS08 chip to the PCB.
    6. Optionally, snap the PCB into the ColecoVision plastic cartridge casing.
    7. GAME ON!