Thread: Emulation vs. the Real Thing

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Emulation vs. the Real Thing

Which do you prefer?

"Real" vs. "Emulation"... If I had a mansion, I'd own (and use) every computer ever made. But alas, I live in a tiny apartment, so I only have room for one. But that one computer can play anything from Atari to N64, Commodore=64 to Amiga to PC. I am satisfied with that.
    TROY'S GAMING HISTORY
    1977- Atari 2600 (primitive)
    1985- Commodore=128 (8-bit)
    1989- Amiga 500 (16-bit)
    1991- zzzzzzzzzzz :scatter:
    2002- Playstation 2 (128-bit)

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I love emulators and the consolidation they bring, but if it's put to a vote, there's no question about which I'd prefer. I defer to the pop culture saying:

"Ain't nothing like the real thing, baby".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seems to me this is a ready-made poll question...

I prefer the real thing. The clutter is an unfortunate side-effect, but to me the games just don't feel the same when I'm sitting in front of a computer, contending with different controls than the original.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No comparison. The real thing.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Emulation is fair enough for checking out those games which catch your curiosity or for the purposes of "try before you buy", but they just can't match the real thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't like emulation for the most part. It's only good for seeing if a game is worth buying, or playing a game that you can't otherwise afford Like Armed Formation Batrider, or one you don't want to buy (like Terranigma, where you need all the stuff to play PAL carts).

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Emulation is just NEVER the same. The best emulation I've seen is the NES games on animal crossing. It's perfect, and it saves your high scores.

The ONLY other thing I use emulation for is arcade games for OBVIOUS reasons. I honestly don't think I've EVER played an emulated console game for more than 1-2 minutes.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The real thing is much better. u can play the way the game waws ment to be played.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I prefer playing the real consoles most times, however there are certain systems that I prefer emulating (even when I own them) because the controllers for them leave a lot to be desired (i.e.: they really make my hands HURT badly).

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I prefer both myself. Emulation does come in handy playing the old NES rpgs like the Dragon Warriors though.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

For consoles, I'm on the same boat many are: play a game on an emu to see if I like it, then buy the real thing. My PSX-Wannabe gamepad just doesn't seem to have the control response my NES pad does.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah the real thing is always better. But I guess it varies in regards to the platform.

CONSOLE
    Of course the real stuff is the way to go, but sometimes the emulation comes pretty close. For example, the NES emulator on the dreamcast comes to mind where aside from the controller I'm holding, I can't tell the difference. Most console emu's are give and take from the real thing. But even if the emu is 100% accurate (a hard thing to achieve), for sheer coolness factor and the ability to play on the tv, the real thing still wins out. That being said, I love playing Super Metroid, Intellivision games, and many others via emu.

ARCADE:
    Real thing is almost 100% of the time better. Especially with the dedicated arcade games (Pre-JAMMA). You just miss out on too much when playing an emulated version, hardware wise, control wise, sound wise and overall feel. Compare emulated Space Invaders to the real thing (yes I know the new mame has background support, but it's still not a mirrored playfield on a cardboard background)
    vs .
    And don't forget the echoey bass and other sounds as they reverberate throughout the cabinet. However, having said that, when it comes to a couple of generic JAMMA games or even NEO-GEO, you're not missing out on too much if playing the emu'd version imho.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

Real thing for many many numerous reasons. Emulation is just too much of a hassle for me. Plus IMO emu can never touch the controls of the real thing.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oops, sorry I didn't notice this post eariler, I was playing my SNES online with an EMU.

I own Chrono Trigger, I own Final Fantasy 3/6, I own Dragon Warrior 4 for the NES.

What does this mean for me? What does this come down too? I enjoy using any controller I want to, plus online play? With a few emulators such as the UltimateFCE it's exceeds what the orginal machine could do in some cases. You can use Save States. No more hunting for a save point. The ability to play games that I would never to able to play because of the language barrier (Dragon warrior 5, secret of Mana 2). OH, and the biggest reason. How about the struggle to get your machine to work? I've had more time fighting with my NES than I can think of. Makes it easier. The ability to check a game out before you spend any money on it? That is what I call quality control.

With all that said and done, I enjoy some things better on emulator, some things better on the real McCoy. (Unlike the Fake McCoy). The feel of holding the controller, the true SLOW response from the game.

How do you except to play a N64 game with a playstation controller i use for my main controller? Near impossiable, not to mention that N64 emulation is sub-par at best.

Emulation or the Real Thing. I for now have to stay with the real thing, but with the advances they are making in the emulation field, who knows what the future may hold.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't see how anyone could PREFER emulation. I don't just like playing my NES, I also like collecting for it. I don't even like collecting for the playstation just because their discs. I like the feel of the old grey cartridge, and this may come as a shock, I like having to adjust it so that the darn NES stops blinking...only to a certain point of course. I tried dl'ing a lot of ROMS, but I kept getting this cheating feeling being able to save whenever I wanted. :P

-=Mr. NEStalgia=-

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I prefer the real thing by far. Emu is great for checking out games for systems i don't plan on buying unless the games are fun ofcourse, or if everyone is talking about a game i can check it out to see what the hype is all about but thats about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well If I made video games, you'd see me on T.V. crying like Britney Spears about taking my money.

I feel that emulation is god for checking out a game(remeber:curiousity kiled the cat) and helps us collectors from having to compete with others who just want to play the games as The NES scene has really oicked up. But emulation is not a substitute for the real thing. Also I can't stanlittle kids who brag about having everygame "game"/Rom. Who cares?

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Emulation is great because of it's portability (I have a laptop) and because of it's availability (I can actually *play* Chase the Chuckwagon, instead of debating whether I'll ever spend the money on getting the real thing).

But of course nothing beats the real thing. When people come over to visit they could care less about my laptop and what I can play on it. It's the real things on my book cases that get their attention. I imagine that would be true of 99% of the population (gamers and non gamers alike).
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Well...

I prefer the real this of course, because the real this is...well real. But still, if it weren't for emulation I would never have been able to play Digital Press's impossible to get, 40 cartridges made only: Ms. Space Fury for the Colecovision!

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Until the major computer crash I had last fall, I was heavily into emulation. I had a good collection of MAME, Neo-Geo, NES, SNES, Genesis, SMS, Colecovision, Atari roms. Of the above consoles, the only ones I don't own now are the Neo-Geo and the Colecovision. I've also gotten many of the games I consider must-haves for my consoles.

Anyway, all this to say that I've made the switch to the real mccoy and that I rarely ever use emulation now. I think that the Intellivision Lives! and Rocks! CDs are really cool, but the games are a hassle to play without a real Intelly controller. And there are games like Tomcat F-14 (Atari 2600) that are simply not emulated properly (Tomcat uses the switches on the console, which makes the game impossible to play in emulation).

I now mostly keep emulation for skyrocket-priced games like Ogre Battle on the SNES and for untranslated games like Final Fantasy II and III (although I'd rather play a PSX English remake than the roms of the originals with translation patches).

And it's true that nothing beats the coolness of the real carts and boxes and instruction manuals. Scanners may be able to reproduce the manuals visually, but it just isn't the same than looking at a vintage one.

For me, emulation now gets most of its usefulness from the possibility to make easy screenshots for websites or wallpapers.

It's true that it's great to play games on the TV via the consoles, but I have to admit that the experience isn't always a repeat from olden days, especially where the 2600 is concerned. You see, my old 2600 joysticks dried up and don't work properly now. As a result, I use Sega controllers instead of the Atari joysticks. Using a D-pad really isn't the same as using the Atari Pro Joystick (aka the 7800 joystick).