Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sony PSP: Horrible?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sony PSP: Horrible?

I've been reading up on the new handhelds, and I'm wondering how the opinion I've formed about the PSP will be recieved by my fellow gamers...

My opinion is basically that it's looking to be one of the worst game systems in history when I factor in everything. Here's why:

1. Durability. A disc-based handheld causes all sorts of issues. It's not like a discman where you can just get a new one for $30. Sony has proven that they can't offer a durable system even when it's a console that SITS there on your shelf. The PSP will be bashed around, clunk around in your backpack, and cause all sorts of grief and hatred especially from parents whose kids damage their games. You could toss GBA carts around all day, step on them, hit them with a hammer. Whatever. That's why it's great as a portable. The PSP won't necessarily be marketed to kids, but with the way the average gamer takes care of their stuff, it's going to be a flat out disaster. And even the guy who takes special care of it will get screwed over from random laser problems. Oh, and it's going to eat batteries like a hog.

2. Offers nothing game-wise that the next-gen systems don't have. Okay, so maybe they'll make some exclusives that will make everyone run out to get one... but that's not offering any new gameplay experiences. It's practically impossible to offer something that you can't find on another system. With all the video games in the world, there's nothing to set the PSP apart... With other portables, like the GBA, you got a lot of 2D games, which pleased us old-school fans to an extent, since those games weren't being made anywhere else anymore. With the PSP, it's basically just going to be another next-gen system... The only new thing you can do is play with your buddies at work, I guess. When you factor in #1, though, you might as well get the DS if you want to do stuff like that... Less worries about the DS breaking...

3. Horrible handheld philosophy. They seem to think that making handheld gaming a cinematic experience is the most important thing. It's the whole reason they want to use discs. Ridiculous! This goes back the durability issue a bit, too. They're choosing big, movie-like games over durability and quick pick-up-and-play games. While it's cool to give gamers a choice - maybe some people want cinematic games on the airplane - it's certainly the wrong thing to be emphasizing so much. It's the nature of a handheld that if you're playing it on a trip, you'll have to turn it off suddenly if something comes up. How can you get immersed in this huge storyline when you're just going to get interrupted? Honestly, most people are just going to end up playing this thing as another game console in their house. And as just another game console, it offers nothing new.

4. The GBA and DS will be better. The GBA is going to be a better system because it offers so many games that are easy to just pick up and play and it offers simple 2D gameplay and long battery life and duarble carts. The DS will be better because it has the ability to do things which no other console ever did or can do by using the touchpad. It's durable. The games look to be the typical colorful, easy to pick up Nintendo stuff. It might also be whoring out the graphics a bit too much for my taste, but its only disadvantage is smaller memory on the carts.

The PSP is just a waste, from what I can tell.

Thoughts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't really like the PSP, mainly becouse of the short battery life, and becouse its basically a ps2 wich I piad $179 a while ago an still haven't got my money worth. I know this has been siad before, but the movie thing is stupid. Who the hell wants to buy a movie twice? The DVD version for home and UMD for the PSP it makes no sense. People who want to watch a movie on the go should buy a portable DVD player and be done with it. So untill I see some interesting ideas for the PSP I'll be playing my SP.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I pretty much agree with all of that, although I'm sure that there will be a ton of detractors soon posting. What really got me thinking was what you said about Sony's durability issues. I think Sony has a lot to prove in terms of reliability, looking as how both Playstations have been plagued with problems. Hell, they can't even build a decent Discman that stands up to daily wear & tear (I've gone through a few Sony Discmans, as has my brother, and we've both sworn to never, ever buy another Sony Discman again). How are they going to build a much more sophisticated machine that will hold up to daily stress? Although I do have a 20+ year old Sony component stereo in my bedroom still going strong after all these years, still louder than hell as well. But as far as video games, Sony needs to make more reliable stuff.

That PSP screen also looks like it's begging to be damaged. Are they going to provide some kind of flip-down cover or some other kind of protection? Also, are small discs the best way to go for a portable? They'll probably be more prone to damage and scratches constantly being handled on the go as opposed to just playing them on a machine that sits in your home.

I still think the DS looks like a far more innovative and interesting handheld. The PSP may have more processing power, but I'm more partial to the interesting possibilities that Nintendo and companies like Namco are thinking up for the DS right now as opposed to a bunch of rehashed titles from the PS2's overall weak (IMO) library.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nez
    I know this has been siad before, but the movie thing is stupid. Who the hell wants to buy a movie twice?
    Sometimes THREE or more times. Lots of people are just now buying DVD versions of VHS tapes they bought before. It's too soon to go to another format that isn't even compatible with all players. I agree, the PSP will flop for so many reasons.

And I can't wait to watch it crash and burn slowly. There may have not been any used Ngages in bargain bins like everyone hoped, but there WILL be PSP's.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It looks almost as bad as the nintendo DS.

I hate the DS.

Wow....you have a MAP, INFORMATIVE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry a bit off topic but, Is the PSP still going to have MP3 capabilities?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It looks almost as bad as the nintendo DS.

I hate the DS.

Wow....you have a MAP, INFORMATIVE.
    Actually, there are some great ideas floating around utilizing the two screens. The latest issue of Nintendo Power details quite a few. I don't have access to the issue right now, but I'm sure some others on here are more familiar with the various DS game ideas floating around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One idea is using the touch screen as a Track-ball. Imagine the Super Monkey Ball or Marble Madness they could make with that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to agree the PSP looks bad. I'm not that crazy about the DS but at least it can play GBA games. I don't think I'll get either unless they get below a $100.

The one thing I love about the SP and the DS is the flip cover to protect the screen. The PSP as mentioned above looks to be played like a console and offers nothing new but maybe a small screen and new format.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess you can say that I'm just tired of buying new systems that have no advantages over systems already out there. I can only think of disadvantages to the PSP over other consoles... I don't really play portable games on the go... The DS will get my money because I like the fact that they gave it the ability to do things no other system could do.

It's not like I can never change my mind about these things though. The Xbox got me to change my mind by offering a better online experience. Heck, when the DS was first announced I rolled my eyes. I never thought I'd want one. Now that I've done research, it sounds like it will be worth owning. Right now, I can't fathom what the PSP could do to get me to buy one...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Sony PSP: Horrible?

Quote Originally Posted by dmhawkmoon
    I've been reading up on the new handhelds, and I'm wondering how the opinion I've formed about the PSP will be recieved by my fellow gamers...

My opinion is basically that it's looking to be one of the worst game systems in history when I factor in everything. Here's why:

1. Durability.....
    Oh, and it's going to eat batteries like a hog....
    Ive never had a problem with any of my sony consoles, so it doesnt factor into my opinion of the PSP. Anyone have battery numbers from nintendo for the DS yet ?

2. Offers nothing game-wise that the next-gen systems don't have.
    The GBA offers nothing game-wise that 16-bit systems dont/didnt have, yet it sells by the truck load. Hand helds never do offer anything new except the ability to be hand-held.

3. Horrible handheld philosophy. They seem to think that making handheld gaming a cinematic experience is the most important thing.
    I like old style games as much as the next person, but sony had already shown us that people prefer cinematic games, and theres no reason why people should have to play one type of game on a hand-held and another type on a console. The GBA has plenty of rpgs with immersive story-lines, and they seem popular enough..

4. The GBA and DS will be better....
    Seeing as how only 1 of the 3 systems is actually out yet, im reserving judgement. My only beef with the psp/ds at the moment is that they will probably crush what little market share gamepark has

At the moment though, id take a wide-screen over a gimmickey touch-pad anyday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[quote="thegreatescape"]
    Quote Originally Posted by dmhawkmoon
    My only beef with the psp/ds at the moment is that they will probably crush what little market share gamepark has
    Gamepark has no market share in the US. Its just an import. I think it would be cool if they entered the scene though. I just want good games. That is all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatescape
    Ive never had a problem with any of my sony consoles, so it doesnt factor into my opinion of the PSP. Anyone have battery numbers from nintendo for the DS yet ?
    Nope, but you can bet on some sort of lithium-ion setup like the SP so it will have extended battery life and almost no cost to the consumer for power.

The GBA offers nothing game-wise that 16-bit systems dont/didnt have, yet it sells by the truck load. Hand helds never do offer anything new except the ability to be hand-held.
    Actually, the thing that the GBA offers (IMO) is NEW 16 bit games. Personally, I feel that the 16 bit generation of games is overall the best one in gaming history so far. The games were play oriented rather than graphics oriented (for the most part) and you could just pick up and play most of em....you didn't have to make a 3+ hour commitment. Having that generation make a resurgence makes the GBA worthwhile in my eyes, whereas a handheld next-gen game doesn't have the same kind of appeal.

I like old style games as much as the next person, but sony had already shown us that people prefer cinematic games, and theres no reason why people should have to play one type of game on a hand-held and another type on a console. The GBA has plenty of rpgs with immersive story-lines, and they seem popular enough..
    Sony has shown us that people like CONSOLE cinematic games. Not handheld. The market is different. I don't see them having shown us anything about the actual handheld market for the PSP yet.

At the moment though, id take a wide-screen over a gimmickey touch-pad anyday.
    Until it gets all scratched. And what sacrifices are you making? Cost? Durability? Battery life? Ultimately, other than the fact that it's Sony, the PSP has no major points going for it to put it above the DS right now. And I may be wrong but I think the DS has a wide screen as well. Wider than the GBASP? Not sure. Anyway, regardless, the touch screen isn't JUST for touch. It's got a wide range of uses. It's not gimmicky unless the only thing it's used for is maps and touch screen functions. Already Nintendo has shown us a handheld Animal Crossing with touchpad keyboard support onsscreen. You can actually wwrite your own sentences to the animals in that one. So much more versatile than the GC one! Anyway, don't discard it...yet. I think overall, too much credit is being given to SOny and not enough to Nintendo. So far. I'm reserving final judgement for 6-8 months after release, which is when I'll consider buying either system.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default .

I have a SONY discman, and a SONY Net Mini-Discman.

The former is awful, the latter very good.

I really can't see a CD based handheld being very reliable, my discman jumps if I jog it even slightly. The Net MD works happily if I give it a good shake, it's a shame that they can't make a hand held games console based around the mini-disc technology.
    --------------
    10 PRINT "THX IS SKILL"
    20 GOTO 10

RUN

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoco
    Quote Originally Posted by Nez
    I know this has been siad before, but the movie thing is stupid. Who the hell wants to buy a movie twice?
    Sometimes THREE or more times. Lots of people are just now buying DVD versions of VHS tapes they bought before. It's too soon to go to another format that isn't even compatible with all players. I agree, the PSP will flop for so many reasons.

And I can't wait to watch it crash and burn slowly. There may have not been any used Ngages in bargain bins like everyone hoped, but there WILL be PSP's.
    Sony just got greedy and thought it could take over the handheld market like it did with the console one. I personally well be getting a DS (already got 50 bucks down) and a psp. Though from what i have seen of the psp so far has been rather poor. I meen come on "metal gear acid" the" the whole battier life thing and the fact if you want to watch movies you need to buy it on a whole new media. This could very well be sony first taste of defeat. Though then again the fanboys have been giving it nothing but praise (even though they have never seen it in action).
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a sony disc man and it NEVER skips. Even with out anti skip on its still NEVER skips. So I hope that there PSP is able to perform the same.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Simple enough as I see it:
    When they're both under $100, I'll get whichever one has the most games I want to play when I decide to buy one.

$10 says that at least sony won't release 15 year old games at full price on their handheld system and nothing else for 2 years straight. (maybe they'll release them at HALF price for 2 years straight, but that's another story)
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think this topic would be better after we've all owned or played a PSP enough to judge. We're all begining to sound like a bunch of reviewers for Game INformer (that's a bad thing). I say give Sony a chance. Same for Nintendo. I personally have never had a problem with any of my SOny hardware. The same can't be said about Microsoft and Nintendo in my personal experience. As for battery life, it hasn't been officially anounced along with the price. So lets cut the speculation right now, there's no need to argue-yet! If everything bad about the PSP turns out to be true i will be the first person yelling "Fuck You" to Sony.

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords
    Actually, the thing that the GBA offers (IMO) is NEW 16 bit games. Personally, I feel that the 16 bit generation of games is overall the best one in gaming history so far. The games were play oriented rather than graphics oriented (for the most part) and you could just pick up and play most of em....you didn't have to make a 3+ hour commitment. Having that generation make a resurgence makes the GBA worthwhile in my eyes, whereas a handheld next-gen game doesn't have the same kind of appeal.
    Ya know I never really thought of that aspect. Nicely put!
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

my gripe with the PSP: its too large to be a portable. For the screen shots it looks to be the size of a men's wallet unfolded.

A neck-strap is an accessory, isnt it? How heavy will that thing be?