Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: resealed games - ultimate scam

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default resealed games - ultimate scam

There has been a lot of talk here recently about resealed games, and I was wondering if anyone has ever been "double scammed" or "ultimate scammed". By this I mean, has anyone ever bought say, a "sealed stadium events" [R9], as an example, realized it was resealed, and opened it only to discover a copy of duck hunt inside? If so, please relate your tale of ultimate woe here.
    Still a gamer, still a liberal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought a 'sealed' new R-Type game at GameStop for the GBC. I opened it up, and realized it was opened because inside of the shrinkwrap, was the damn cart without plastic case, shrinkwrapped with the cardboard spacer in the box. They shrinkwrapped the inside contents, and then shrinkwrapped the box. Then again, I guess this is to be expected.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

one of the few times i bougth a "NEW" item from ebay i got it and decided id rather play it than have a sealed copy(which wasn't horribly expensive anyway). after i opened it the disk(it was sega cd lethal enforcers) had fingerprints and light scratches. i emailed the guy and he said some thing like " you opened it? and it was used? heh heh, well send it back and ill take a look."

it wouldve cost half the price to ship it back and if someone is untrustworthy enough to sell a reasealed game as new, they probably cant be trusted to refund the money...

certainly not an "R9", but pissed me off anyway

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Back in 1998, my dad bought a copy of Space Station: Silicon Valley at a Target in California. When he brought it back, we opened it to see a California Guide in it! The box weighed exactly like an N64 game.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know this has been talked about before, but, while working at a national video chain not to be named, I resealed plenty of games. Heck, we even had a "Shrink Table"!!!!!! Nuts now I have confessed to resealing games. It was mostly new games(PS2 GC XBOX Etc.) and they were all sports titles :P

Speaking of sealed games did everyone see that ad from videogame realms in the new classic gamer that is looking for sealed games?

Solid Out

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Manimal
    I bought a 'sealed' new R-Type game at GameStop for the GBC. I opened it up, and realized it was opened because inside of the shrinkwrap, was the damn cart without plastic case, shrinkwrapped with the cardboard spacer in the box. They shrinkwrapped the inside contents, and then shrinkwrapped the box. Then again, I guess this is to be expected.
    God if I had a dime for each time that has happened...It really pisses me off when I buy a game from GameStop..and they pull out that ugly sleeve where they kept the booklet and disc...and I know the disc has a strong chance of being ruined.

I don't care if it was or is the last copy, they should treat their shit better.

About two weeks ago, I caught them on a shrink-wrapped copy of Shinobi for PS2. The Disc was totally screwed (it was a return) and some ass just wrapped it up and called it "new".

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Ghouls_'N'_Ghosts
    God if I had a dime for each time that has happened...It really pisses me off when I buy a game from GameStop..and they pull out that ugly sleeve where they kept the booklet and disc...and I know the disc has a strong chance of being ruined.

I don't care if it was or is the last copy, they should treat their shit better.

About two weeks ago, I caught them on a shrink-wrapped copy of Shinobi for PS2. The Disc was totally screwed (it was a return) and some ass just wrapped it up and called it "new".
    I just love when the assholes at places like eb and gamestop try to sell you their "last" copy of a game. They try to give you a cut/banged up box and or crappy shape cd or carditage. I for one don't stand for that type of shit. If your going to be selling me a copy like that it better be at used price.
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by testament89

I just love when the assholes at places like eb and gamestop try to sell you their "last" copy of a game. They try to give you a cut/banged up box and or crappy shape cd or carditage. I for one don't stand for that type of shit. If your going to be selling me a copy like that it better be at used price.
    Are Gamestop and EB still selling returned/resealed games as new games? IN 2000 I've once had a so-called new game, Virtua Tennis for Dreamcast, how bad was it? CD scratched like hell, almost to a point after using sand paper and manual so creased as if people blow nose on it.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by testament89
    Quote Originally Posted by Super_Ghouls_'N'_Ghosts

When I bring a new game to the counter and they start pulling out the guts I just tell them nevermindand head to best buy or circut city. If the game's older or uncommon I ask to inspect the guts instead. Some of the employees have started to recognize me as some sort of picky hardass, but fuck them it's my money and for the price of new I expect a sealed or at least mint game.

Usually though it's the stickers that bother me, not the possibility the game's already been played a bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Didn't they (EB and/or GameStop) get sued over this? What came of that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

maybe not related here but saw ddcecil's post few years ago when i used to work at target i was bored decided to look at their nintendo binder they have it along with playstation binder i saw some pages with actual photos which was really funny in the nintendo binder it advised people to check all of the items they return because some people eventually put a brick in the system box and return it as if the system was in it wow what a rip off and the people are idiots if they dont check them !!! jeez imagine buying a system in box but onlyto find a brick in it then use it to throw the brick at the cashier

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Definately not an R9 or anything, but I bought a sealed Slam City and Corpse Killer for Sega 32X CD from eBay. I decided to open Slam City because I didn't think it felt heavy enough to have 4 disks in it....lo and behold...no disks. The seller said they must have fell out (of a sealed box?) and she gladley mailed em to me.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

It seems like it varries from store to store.

I've gotten the last copy of a new game before. The most recent example was when I got F-Zero for the GameCube last year. I saw exactly what the clerk did. She grabbed the box off the shelf (which was still in mint condition -- really, how much wear and tear is it going to take up there?), opened a drawer, took out a plastic ziplock baggy thing that had the CD and the manual, put them into the case, and put it in the bag.

The only things that this differed in was that it was'nt shrinkwrapped and the front of the box had a 'new release' sticker, which easily came off.

As a collector, maybe I would have minded. As a GAMER, I could have cared less. The game was still brand new, the CD and manual had been properly cared for, and I was the FIRST PERSON to buy the game. So in my mind that counts as a new game.

Now, if I grabbed the box for another game and brought it to the counter, and they did'nt give me a shrinkwrapped game AND did'nt indicate that the display copy was their last one, THEN I would start asking questions. I also always inspect the CD's of used games before I buy them. A little common sence goes a long way, but in the example I quoted above I still see that as being okay.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I hate that when you buy the last copy and they take the box and put the stuff in and reshrinkwrap it...I told them never mind once...I just feel like such a dork doing it. Once I bought a "sealed" Panzer Dragoon Saga, never opened it, and then sold it. Turned out it was used and scratched up, as the guy I sold it to was rightfully mad. I got screwed on that one as I had to refund him most of the cost.
    Click here for my game list, including pictures.
    Currently playing on my Xperia Play: Nectaris: Military Madness (PSX), Chrono Trigger (SNES)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley
    Didn't they (EB and/or GameStop) get sued over this? What came of that?
    The shops got sued over people buying games/not liking it/returning it as new/reselling it as new. The Gamestops in my city (including the one that I work at) still guts the games as that's the only option GS HQ gives to display new games. The only way we take back a game as "new" is if it's defective, and then it goes directly into the defect bin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

its stories like this that makes the whole notion of "sealed" games such bullshit. if a game is for a non-current system, then i want to see the contents before i buy it. i also do not want to pay extra for this phony guarantee.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: resealed games - ultimate scam

Quote Originally Posted by briguy578
    There has been a lot of talk here recently about resealed games, and I was wondering if anyone has ever been "double scammed" or "ultimate scammed". By this I mean, has anyone ever bought say, a "sealed stadium events" [R9], as an example, realized it was resealed, and opened it only to discover a copy of duck hunt inside? If so, please relate your tale of ultimate woe here.
    Fella don't say that, i'm a snes collector and i recently purchased, lethal enforcers (Big Box) and bomberman party pac (Big Box) both sealed as well as a Supergameboy sealed (small box), now all 3 items are in mint condition but i'm getting worried!!

I know i'll X-ray them

..XS

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The last time I bought a "new" game at Gamestop that was resealed game, I got a ten percent discount. Im not sure why, though. I generally dont get a discount. Maybe the chick working the cashier thought I was cute!
    I like monkeys...and poop...and monkeys that poop...and play video games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ive never had it happen to me, but I have at least once carefully opened a plastic seal and saved it so I could the return the game if I didnt like it. But I never returned the game, and still have the seal.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Giganticus breathalizer Mr Mort's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's why its sometimes better to buy from a place like Best Buy, Target, etc. You know it's truly sealed.
    As for Ebay, you're always taking a chance, I never buy a sealed game off Ebay it I don't intend to open it right away.