Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has the $4.99 CC/BB opportunities corrupted us?

Strawberry (Level 2) GunPanther's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Has the $4.99 CC/BB opportunities corrupted us?

It probably has.... to some extent.

This is connected to my "CC Trade List" in the "Buying & Selling" section of DP and in response to some (okay, the majority) of people wanting to trade 'crap' games for 'good' games.

I see it like this; I paid $4.99 + tax for most of the games on my CC trade list and the people who were lucky enough to buy the 'better' game titles paid $4.99 + tax for their titles, so I feel it's only fair to do a 1/1 trade since these games were cheap to begin with.

Who is to say that a game is 'crap' or if it's 'good'? Everyone has different tastes and to tell the truth, I had never really heard of 'good' titles (so the general public claims) like Disgaea or Rez so I decided to add them to my want list, with the possibility of someone willing to trade for them. Viewtiful Joe? It never interested me, but for $4.99, why not? I also just want GunCon2 games because (you guessed it) I love playing games that involve GUNS. IMHO, I think my want list is reasonable.

I feel that some people are trying to take advantage of others by asking them to sell the games they bought for $4.99 for a high price of.... $4.99 (and possibly postage) with no other kind of compensation other than a 'thank you'. If some people want to be a nice person, do all the work for nothing, just so someone else (most times a complete stranger) can snag a deal that they missed out on, more power to them, but I have no plans on wasting my time selling these games for what I bought them for. I did all of the searching and I did all of the driving to and from these CCs so technically, just like others who seem to post 'unreasonable' trade offers, I can ask for whatever I want for these games because I have them in my possession.

If I had bought all the games I wanted, I would not even be posting a 'trade list' in any open forum anywhere because I'd be satisfied with my haul.

But since I was on the short end of the stick, especially when put in direct competition with the selfish-inconsiderate-fuckhead Ebay hoarders, did I really have a chance to snag some 'quality' titles? Of course not. I pretty much took the 'leftovers' as some would say, although I think that some of the titles would seem fun to play if I decided to open them.

I still get pissed at the fact that I saw this one guy carrying a couple of baskets of games around, while trying to play dumb. That Asian bastard (don't flame me for that, I'm Asian too so I know how the Asian culture likes to hoard things) just exhuded "I'm a greedy asshole" the entire time he combed the shelves. That fucking leech. /rant

*sigh*

It's times like this that I sometimes wish for another "Video Game Crash" so all the casual gamers and vultures who overprice games will get fed up with games in general and just allow us true gamers to prosper again.

Thoughts, anyone?

GunPanther
    "Sometimes you just have to shoot their limbs to get their attention."

Good traders: Querjek, k8track, youruglyclone

http://users.ign.com/collection/gymleader_panther

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, while I wouldn't have done it myself, I don't see that the people that got there first and bought 100 games are in the wrong in any way. I also don't think it's wrong that they won't trade Rez 1 to 1 for Bomberman Max red or whatever other shitty GBA games people are offering up. The fact that they paid 4.99 forn the copy they are trading away has no bearing whatsoever on the fact that it's harder to find, and worth more than $5. I made a couple of 2 for 1 trades in all of this, and still feel like I came out WAY ahead. I'm, usually hapy to get a game for $15, let alone $5-10. I also NEVER pay $50 for a game, w/ Halo 2 being the first possible exception in at least 3 years. 99% of the games out there (and anhything ever considered a MUST have) will drop to $20 if you wait, and I have so many games now I could never play them all.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hell, yes, it's corrupted me, but in a different way. From Wednesday to Sunday, I couldn't think about anything but the CC sale. I'd get up in the morning, go to Circuit City, go to work (across the street), go back to Circuit City after work, and then go home and think about more games that I missed purchasing. Oh the agony!

In response to your question, I was a cheapie before the Circuit City sale and I don't see that ever changing...
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Great Puma (Level 12) captain nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would like to lash out at some people but wont.

I see it like this , I have a trade list as well in the CC thread in the Buying and selling forum. I have a list of games there I bought because I honestly was thinking of fellow dp members. I just thought that maybe another dp memeber would have a game I wanted and would trade 1 for 1. Ok and maybe a 2 for 1 if it involves a GBA title/

I really would have liked to score Secret Weapons Over Normandy for Xbox.
    But I didnt find it and nobody wanted to trade it No big deal. I honestly dont want to sell the games unless its to a friend or a dp member I have know for a long time. I would rather keep them for future trade bait.

Am I being closed minded about this ?????? I dont know ? But maybe this CC sale has ruined us all by putting a price tag on trading with friends and fellow dpers

By the way if anybody wants to trade Secret Weapons Over Normandy for Xbox ...... :P Pm me

- Rick

"until all are one" - Optimus Prime
    Link to collection:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...der=Collection

R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

ddockery summed it up pretty well, just because someone paid 4.99 for a Disgaea or a Rez does NOT mean they should sell it for that. If someone picked up an extra Rez at CC, and I wanted it, and I expected them to give it to me at 4.99 plus shipping or an even 1/1 trade for a shitty game...I believe I'd be a bit greedy and unrealistic...not to mention a little envious that I didn't get any good games for myself.

So yeah, I have Super Duper Sumo for GBA I paid 4.99 for, anyone want to trade me a Disgaea you paid 4.99 for as an even swap?

I just picked up a Nintendo World Championships Gold cart at the flea market for 1.00, I have no use for it, how about we trade even for that Madden 95 you paid 1.00 for.

Now read over those, see how silly they sounds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with you Chris , but ......

I mean how do you or I value some of these games ?
    For instance lets say I have Shining Soul for GBA (a sought after GBA title)
    And you have Viewtiful Joe. How does one value these ?
    I mean it seems like the idea is that the GBA games are less valuable ?
    But to one who wants Shining Soul I would say that it was harder to find than Viewtiful Joe.

I know certain games command more value on "the market" . But who is to say that "Johnny -Dp member" doesnt value something else more ?

Maybe some of what I said may not make sense , but it does to me (but I also hear voices in my head)

Link to collection:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ultimately it comes down to a cost/benefit analysis. Why trade a game like Rez which regularly sells for $40+ on eBay in exchange for say, Medabots for GBA which isn't worth squat? It doesn't make any sense. Just because you got them both for $5 doesn't matter. One person offered me a Disgaea they got for $25. Personally, I think that's a fair price. If they make $20, I'm STILL getting it cheaper than it normally is. But on the other hand, refusing to sell just to hold out for trades is silly.

No offense Gunpanther, but I saw your tradelist and what you wanted. All the games you wanted are high demand and easy to resell while the stuff you are trading is low demand and not even remotely worth the 1:1 you wanted to get. I'm not trying to bash you...everyone is entitled to do with their posessions as they wish, but what I'm saying is, personally, I wouldn't consider that a fair trade. The Namco gun games are high demand, lower print run stuff. Disgaea has a huge print run but it's super high demand, etc etc.

A few people were incredibly nice to me and hooked me up with games at cost or with a minimal profit margin and I REALLY appreciate it. I'll hook those people up with trades later on and they KNOW it. Sometimes it pays to do people a favor. But if I had copies of Rez...I wouldn't eve bother trading them...they're worth more than that. I wanted mostly common stuff and it was easy to get.

I guess what I'm rambling around saying is that you can't expect people to cut you a deal just to be nice. And it seems that a lot of people with this CC sale were EXPECTING people to just say "ok...here ya go!". World doesn't work that way. Sadly, the eBay hoarders and greedy employees ruined a lot of the sale for us, but what can you do?
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Well, of course that makes sense, but what gunpanther was talking about was what I mentioned...a shit game for a good one just because there the same price.

Most trades are decided by the current going eBay value or the how much one person wants anothers game. If someone REALLY wants Shox for PS2, and they will trade Disgaea for it, that's fine. if someone wants to swap Shining Soul for Viewtiful Joe...that's a very fair trade. But I sure as hell ain't giving Rez (even if I didn't want it, at all) for Eternal Ring (no matter how much I wanted it).

But expecting someone to trade on the basis of "we both paid the same so even 1/1 swap", in the case of one is valued much more over the other, is a bit on the silly side. Unrealistic expectations

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Default Re: Has the $4.99 CC/BB opportunities corrupted us?

Quote Originally Posted by GunPanther
    Thoughts, anyone?
    My thoughts: You're kidding, right?

Edit: I found this in your trade/want list...

I'm open only to trades for games only. I have no plans of selling any of these games for cash, unless you really feel like paying $30.00 per title
    Who were you saying is corrupt ... x_x

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While GunPanther might sound a bit hard edged , I think this thread should raise a few eyebrows . And I applaud GunPanther for getting members to talk about this issue.

Still no Secret Weapons over Normandy for Xbox huh ?

Link to collection:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Has the $4.99 CC/BB opportunities corrupted us?

Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley

Edit: I found this in your trade/want list...

I'm open only to trades for games only. I have no plans of selling any of these games for cash, unless you really feel like paying $30.00 per title
    Who were you saying is corrupt ... x_x

You conveniently deleted that little note that said "(discouraged now? then please trade)" which was obviously meant to discourage people from asking to buy the games from me for cash.

GunPanther

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords
    Ultimately it comes down to a cost/benefit analysis. Why trade a game like Rez which regularly sells for $40+ on eBay in exchange for say, Medabots for GBA which isn't worth squat? It doesn't make any sense. Just because you got them both for $5 doesn't matter. One person offered me a Disgaea they got for $25. Personally, I think that's a fair price. If they make $20, I'm STILL getting it cheaper than it normally is. But on the other hand, refusing to sell just to hold out for trades is silly.

No offense Gunpanther, but I saw your tradelist and what you wanted. All the games you wanted are high demand and easy to resell while the stuff you are trading is low demand and not even remotely worth the 1:1 you wanted to get. I'm not trying to bash you...everyone is entitled to do with their posessions as they wish, but what I'm saying is, personally, I wouldn't consider that a fair trade. The Namco gun games are high demand, lower print run stuff. Disgaea has a huge print run but it's super high demand, etc etc.

A few people were incredibly nice to me and hooked me up with games at cost or with a minimal profit margin and I REALLY appreciate it. I'll hook those people up with trades later on and they KNOW it. Sometimes it pays to do people a favor. But if I had copies of Rez...I wouldn't eve bother trading them...they're worth more than that. I wanted mostly common stuff and it was easy to get.

I guess what I'm rambling around saying is that you can't expect people to cut you a deal just to be nice. And it seems that a lot of people with this CC sale were EXPECTING people to just say "ok...here ya go!". World doesn't work that way. Sadly, the eBay hoarders and greedy employees ruined a lot of the sale for us, but what can you do?

No offense taken.

Actually, this goes back to the old saying "One person's trash is another person's treasure". I'm sure that there is at least one person in this world who wouldn't mind trading "game-x" (according to the gaming public, a hot title) for "game-y" (supposedly a crap title to the gaming public) simply because they value "game-y" more. Perhaps because they like "game-y" better than "game-x" and they ultimately don't care how much it's valued at?

If you don't consider my trade list fair, that's totally fine. But out there in the world, someone does consider it fair, and probably would feel that they're getting the better deal in the end for my 'crap' games which to them are 'treasures'.

As for your fortunate experience with others who were willing to 'spread the love' in the CC clearance, I consider that to be YOUR treasure, so good for you. I wish I people like that.

I, on the other hand don't know too many hardcore gamers like myself who are willing to traverse all over a 65 mile radius just for video game titles.

GunPanther

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm
    Most trades are decided by the current going eBay value or the how much one person wants anothers game.
    I'm glad to finally find someone else on this site who agrees that going rate on ebay has to be considered when determining a games overall value.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

If you don't consider my trade list fair, that's totally fine. But out there in the world, someone does consider it fair, and probably would feel that they're getting the better deal in the end for my 'crap' games which to them are 'treasures'.
    Sorry man, but that's just laughable. Wasn't the whole point of your original post that no-one wanted your crap games for their treasures? Even if you find some ignoramous to buy your swampland in Florida, it's still a ripoff ...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley
    Sorry man, but that's just laughable. Wasn't the whole point of your original post that no-one wanted your crap games for their treasures? Even if you find some ignoramous to buy your swampland in Florida, it's still a ripoff ...
    Actaully Petewhitley his trade list looks pretty good. I mean sure he doesnt have those "holy grails of the CC sale" but still his list isnt that bad.

I think maybe GunPanther was thinking more about this ....

I feel that some people are trying to take advantage of others by asking them to sell the games they bought for $4.99 for a high price of.... $4.99 (and possibly postage) with no other kind of compensation other than a 'thank you'. If some people want to be a nice person, do all the work for nothing

Just a thought

Link to collection:

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Just because I got some game at 5 bucks and someone else also got some other game also at 5 bucks, would I EVER expect a fair trade on it, NO. Why? Simply put there are games that are better than others. Im not expecting to go out and buy some complete doody game and then hope to turn it around to another person for a great game. HOWEVER if i throw a couple doody games at them in what I feel its still worth for that other game I do want and they take it, then rock on.

It comes down to what both parties are willing to go for on these games and it can really suck when there are some GREAT games that get laced with a buncha crap. You do realise the point of this sale in CC eye's, to get rid of the crap filling the shelves. They can also tell which games are good and needed to drop some decent stuff in there to make that sale work. I'd love to see a 5 dollar game sale only to walk in there and see nothing but bad GBC/GBA and PSOne titles that they are phasing out, only to see that little of it would sell in any real numbers, a sale like that would be a complete waste of time. I say this with conviction, cause I went into a local CC today and you know what was left in that dump bin.... take a guess bad GBC/GBA and PSOne titles.

On a semi related note, have you ever gone into an indy shop or a GS/EB type store to stumble into a rare game (that you have or know is desired) and think hrmmm.... what if i picked this up to turn in around on eBay or to some other collector and make a little money? I know that I have, and can usually make my decision quickly based on one simple course of action. Call home, and have my mom do a quick search on eBay to see if at it's price it's worth even picking up, cause theres no real point to have some crap title or some expensive thing thats possibly gonna sit in my trade pile cause id only be able to get the exact same value for it.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some of the games at CC sales, I'd buy those without blinnking even at $20, here's my trade offer, you get 3 of the following selaed games if anyone of you have Gitaroo-Man, PTO 4, or Grandia Xtreme sealed only (PM me for this 3 for one trade) :

Aqua Aqua
    Fantavision
    Amplitude
    Harvest Moon
    Whirl Tour
    Mad Maestro
    Mobile Light Force 2
    Silpheed
    Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero
    Superman (Xbox)
    Serious Sam (Xbox)

Most come from ShopKo, TRU, and CC.

Another, on eBay, when I see a game from CC $5 sale, I kept a ceiling on how much I'm willing to pay, up to a certain price(s), I'd rathe rbuy from local stores.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by captain nintendo
    I think maybe GunPanther was thinking more about this ....

I feel that some people are trying to take advantage of others by asking them to sell the games they bought for $4.99 for a high price of.... $4.99 (and possibly postage) with no other kind of compensation other than a 'thank you'. If some people want to be a nice person, do all the work for nothing

Just a thought
    If so, I misunderstood the poor chap. Sorry. I had taken his post (and some questionable offers in his trade list) to mean he was dismayed that his fellow DPers wouldn't trade their Rez for his Dino Crisis 3 (a 1:1 trade he's actively seeking ).

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

It seems to me as though gunpanther is contradicting himself. He says that he thinks that anyting other than 1:1 trade is unfair because they both cost the same price, but then says that it is unreasonable for people to ask that a bargain CC game be sold to them for the cost plus shipping. I think it's great that gunpanther thinks that his time is worth so much that a prospective buyer needs to pay him some sort of finder's fee-style surcharge (thus bringing the total for a game up to $30), but to me these forums are a community where fellow collectors get together and help each other out. If I had an extra copy of a game from one of these super-bargain sales that another DPer wanted, I would totally sell it to that person at cost. But that's just me, and I've been well taken care of here as far as trades and sales are concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by gunpanther
    I feel that some people are trying to take advantage of others by asking them to sell the games they bought for $4.99 for a high price of.... $4.99 (and possibly postage) with no other kind of compensation other than a 'thank you'. If some people want to be a nice person, do all the work for nothing, just so someone else (most times a complete stranger) can snag a deal that they missed out on, more power to them, but I have no plans on wasting my time selling these games for what I bought them for. I did all of the searching and I did all of the driving to and from these CCs so technically, just like others who seem to post 'unreasonable' trade offers, I can ask for whatever I want for these games because I have them in my possession.
    Followed by:

It's times like this that I sometimes wish for another "Video Game Crash" so all the casual gamers and vultures who overprice games will get fed up with games in general and just allow us true gamers to prosper again.
    Gee, sometimes I read a post that makes me feel the same way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba
    It seems to me as though gunpanther is contradicting himself. He says that he thinks that anyting other than 1:1 trade is unfair because they both cost the same price, but then says that it is unreasonable for people to ask that a bargain CC game be sold to them for the cost plus shipping. I think it's great that gunpanther thinks that his time is worth so much that a prospective buyer needs to pay him some sort of finder's fee-style surcharge (thus bringing the total for a game up to $30), but to me these forums are a community where fellow collectors get together and help each other out. If I had an extra copy of a game from one of these super-bargain sales that another DPer wanted, I would totally sell it to that person at cost. But that's just me, and I've been well taken care of here as far as trades and sales are concerned.

Gee, sometimes I read a post that makes me feel the same way.

Okay, apparently, you didn't really understand my overall message.

It's only natural for a person to want to be compensated for their time and efforts for actually going out, finding these titles, paying for them and finally coming back to tell others what they bought.

You think the $30.00 request amount is unreasonable? I think so too. That's why I would ask for $30.00 cash for each game on my trade list, in order to discourage people in asking to buy the games outright from me.

If you're the type of person who would be more than willing to do the extra work, that's fine. More power to you. On the same note, do you have any extra CC clearance games you want to sell ME at $4.99 shipped? As you said, this is a community where collectors help each other out. You saw my trade list. If you could buy those games for me, I'll send you the exact amount of money that you paid for them. Sound fair?

GunPanther