Thread: Site That Gives Estimated Completion Times?

Strawberry (Level 2) ManciGames's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Site That Gives Estimated Completion Times?

Does anyone know of a site that has an estimated "time to completion" for various games? I've tried searching, but haven't come up with anything.

Thanks!
    Manci Games - For the Retro Gamers of the World (RIP)
    Home of Manci Games Retrogaming Magazine
    www.mancigames.com

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Do you mean release dates? GameFAQ is where I go myself, they pull data from EB and several other sites and give the day it actually lands in stores.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    Do you mean release dates? GameFAQ is where I go myself, they pull data from EB and several other sites and give the day it actually lands in stores.
    I'm actually talking about how long it takes to complete the game. For example, I'd like to find a site that could tell me that it takes about 15 hours to complete Resident Evil.
    www.mancigames.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think I've ever seen a site that list games that way. However game reviewers often mention completion times in their review.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by classicb
    I don't think I've ever seen a site that list games that way. However game reviewers often mention completion times in their review.
    I rarely offer a numerical estimate of completion time, since expert players rip through games faster than novices, and since I'm much more concerned with the quality of a game than the quantity.

Also, it's meaningless to give completion times for high-score games (such as Gungrave: Overdose, which I'm currently reviewing), since the idea is to play them over and over again, memorizing patterns and maximizing points. Gungrave, Tetris, Pac-Man, and other high-score games last as long as you want them to last.

If a game is unusually short or long, or artificially extends its playtime via cheesy design tricks, I'll mention it, but hopefully with more subtlety than "You'll finish this game in X hours."

Also, almost every time I've estimated a completion time in a review, someone's written in to comment that "I beat Game X in like three minutes, so that reviewer must really suck."

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel
    Quote Originally Posted by classicb
    I rarely offer a numerical estimate of completion time, since expert players rip through games faster than novices, and since I'm much more concerned with the quality of a game than the quantity.

Also, almost every time I've estimated a completion time in a review, someone's written in to comment that "I beat Game X in like three minutes, so that reviewer must really suck."

-- Z.
    I guess it doesn't make much sense for some games, but for others it'd be helpful. I just like to have an idea of how long a game will take to complete. In the old days, you'd look in the manual and see that there were 7 stages. So, if you were on stage 3, you'd know you had 4 left. Even in a book, you can see how far in your bookmark is. For movies, you look at your watch. But for games, there usually is no way to know how far you are.

The closest I've come to an approximation is playing a level or two, then checking out an FAQ to see how many levels (or FAQ sections) there are. Or, you can thumb through the hintbook (if there is one) to see how far in you are.

You are right about the disparaging comments to reviewers. I remember when EGM was listing completion times. There was a letter to the editor on a monthly basis that was similar to "You guys suck!"
    www.mancigames.com

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd like to see a site like that.

I prefer short, solid games like Ico, Eternal Darkness, Beyond Good & Evil...
    ...over games like Final Fantasy 7 or Zelda Wind Waker that are long/padded/stretched.
    Disclaimer: The message you just read is my opinion. If you do not like my opinion, I apologize in advance. Please explain where my opinion is wrong or fallacious. Thank you.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That would be a good site, one that had time frames for completion.

I use the % left(or % completed so far) on the games that offer it during saving to see how much further I have to go. However Im aware that doesnt help on the games that dont offer that so I'll just shut up now.

Also a lot of games you can "finish" quickly in a few hours but not be 100% complete so they will have different finishing times too.

Qbert
    Kirby's my bitch!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

www.twingalaxies.com

http://village.infoweb.ne.jp/~shin/movie/movie.htm <-- japanese but you can make out most of it.