Thread: So I'm kind of torn on boxes and manuals...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default So I'm kind of torn on boxes and manuals...

I've been collecting some SNES stuff for a while, and although I do like the look of the complete games as well as the stuff on the box/in the manual, it kind of just limits me to ebay crawling as there's no good places to get complete stuff for these systems, especially in Boston. It also seems to slow me down on getting stuff since things in boxes cost about 2 to 4 times more. I don't really mind the idea of having loose carts, it's just that I like complete stuff... better.

Anyone have any advice one way or the other? I'm considering leaning towards a mix, since being a minor on a very tight budget doesn't lead to balancing new games, old games, and DVDs that well...

Too lazy to probably ever finish up my older games, but collection funtime.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah for a while I was the most anal buyer. I only bought complete games. Especially NES. I wouldn't usually touch it unless it was complete. Somehow I managed almost 150 games that way but now I just don't care. I will buy loose carts and find the stuff for me. I bought around 2000 snes boxes and 300 genesis at a closing game store in Phoenix so I'm pretty covered in those two areas. =D. Plus the orphanage has helped me quite a bit to fill holes. There's plenty of places around AZ to get complete games like Bookman's and some other places but it's hell on the wallet =\.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

dont sweat the boxes and manuals, they're a nice bonus but you can get as much out of a game without them. for pretty much any game you can find a manual scan or at least a FAQ online. i just started to care about boxes 5 months ago, strictly from a collecting angle, it has no bearing on playing the games. on the other hand if you want to find boxed stuff around boston...oct 6th, see my sig for details!
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

i try to get boxed stuff when i find it cheap, and any new cd based games MUST have the case and manual and inserts, but for the older carts...just get them as you find them, boxes arent that big of a deal...
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christianscott27
    oct 6th, see my sig for details!
    I should've seen that one coming, XD. Lots of SNES stuff come through there? That's been my focus lately.

And I know it has no effects on the games... I don't know why I care about the boxes and stuff, which is why I'm torn on the issue.

I also kind of think like if I buy the loose cart then I'd never bother to hunt down the box... :/

Too lazy to probably ever finish up my older games, but collection funtime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When it comes to carts, boxes and manuals are nice if they're there, but if not, no biggie. However, I refuse to buy any disc-based games that aren't complete. I'll take 'em for free, though.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For disc based games, it must be complete. Shit, the game stays in the jewel case or snap case, it better have the inserts. Plus the inserts are pretty much the equivalent of the LABEL of the game PLUS the INSTRUCTIONS. I would not pay for a non-complete disc game, either. Though I did buy Contra: Legacy of War and it was missing the 3-d glasses. Had the manual, though.

Cart games? I don't mind boxes, they are cool to have, but if not, no big deal. I would actually PREFER to have manuals for all my games, but the only way anymore for that is eBay. I have very few manuals....mainly games I bought new back in the day. I need to know how to play RPGs without maps kill me

I do like complete Game Boy games, though..for some reason. It's an exception.

For the most part, 32-bit and up, COMPLETE.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

boxes and manuals are HIGHLY overrated.
    Boxes just take up extra room...
    And real men don't read the manual!!!!!

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

All CD based games I have to buy complete, their boxes keep them protected and it's not exactly hard to find even Sega CD games in this condition.

GBA games have to be complete because they're so new, there's no point in buying one cartridge only when I can get it boxed and complete almost as easily.

Genesis and Master system games also have to at least have their boxes, unless the game's rare enough I'd be stupid not to pick it up for a good price loose. I try and find the manuals for the ones that need it. Because their boxes were usually made of plastic they're much easier to find in this condition then other systems from that era.

Any system with cardboard boxes I'll pick up cart only, if I see a boxed copy later on for a good price I'll buy it to replace the cart I have. Or I'll keep my eye out for boxes and manuals to games I don't own yet but plan to later on. NES boxes don't have to be mint, they're so old even slightly beat up still looks good on the shelf as long as the front cover art isn't damaged or scrathed.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I TRY FOR BOXED ONLY!!!

Think how hard it will be to find these NES SNES cardboard boxes in another 20 years. Yeah you pay more now, but think what the prices will be later, andd they will be getting harder and harder to find.
    GIG'EM AGGIES WHOOP!!!!!

ALWAY LOOKING FOR COMPLETE NES GAMES PM ME

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Depends on the game (nes games!), if it's really really hard to find i will buy the cart, if not i want it complete/boxed and will only buy that.
    It's nice to have them complete 4 the collection, hell no i don't read the manuals,how hard can it be right?!
    In the end i want all carts out and replaced by complete/boxed games, that would be very nice!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSpace
    When it comes to carts, boxes and manuals are nice if they're there, but if not, no biggie. However, I refuse to buy any disc-based games that aren't complete. I'll take 'em for free, though.
    Me too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think we had a poll on this subject once.

For NES, SMS, and 7800, it's complete or bust. I will not touch incomplete games for these systems. Any other system I'll take them loose. But even when buying loose, I'm anal about cart/label quality. I've never bought a game with a torn/scratched/gouged/whatever label, and I never will (ultra-rares excluded of course).
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't worry about boxes at all anymore. In fact I just tossed away tons of SNES boxes I've had since buying those games new long ago. I did save the Super Mario RPG box though.

I'm more concerned with the game itself as far as cart games go. I do however care about having the game books, but it's not do or die. I'll take a nice cart game any way I can get it.

Now CD based games are another story... If it's not fully complete I won't touch it.
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i try to hunt down manuals for carts i have, and trade/sell the boxes away...except for rpgs...i like the boxes for those even tho i don't like rpgs anymore go figure. i like having the manuals, to me that is the completeness i want to accomplish.

cd games must have everything, otherwise it just looks silly on the shelf.