Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ESPN Football 2K5: Wow!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Default ESPN Football 2K5: Wow!

Yesterday my brother-in-law picked up ESPN Football 2K5 for the Xbox. Figured for the price it'd be something to tide him over until Madden comes out. So we sat around the TV and he popped the game in, messed around with some options then decided to play First Person mode. "I figure I might not like it, so let's get it out of the way," he said as that mode booted up.

It is the coolest thing we've ever seen in a football game.

Basically the camera is lodged inside the helmet so you see the facemask, the top rim of the helmet (with the player's name so you know who you are controlling) and of course the action. Right stick allows you to move your head left and right. The best part is that this mode continues to keep you "in character", so to speak. You see everything from the first person view: running out of the tunnel, being in the huddle, during celebrations, during coin toss. Just amazing.

Gameplay in this mode is totally different. As quarterback you literally have to turn your player's head to scan the field for an open receiver. Thankfully there are indicator arrows that flash and change color to show where danger is coming from and how close they are. When you get knocked down, you see your whole world just spiral as your character tumbles. If you get a more intense hit, your view goes black for a moment. Switching players will bring the camera "out of body" and will slow the action down as the camera zooms into the head of the player you selected.

So my bro-in-law played around with that until he was on defense, which is pretty hard to do first person. He then clicked some buttons and all of a sudden the game went to the 2nd-person mode. A grin spread upon his face. "I think I have a new favorite football game."

Then he let me have at it. So we started the season with the Packers and off I went on the road to Super Bowl glory. I haven't played a football game in a really long time and it showed: I rushed my passes, I'm not very good at the running game and 1st person took a bit for me to get used to. Thankfully I've always been good at defense and was able to put the brakes on the opposing team's (I can't remember who I played against) advances ending the game in a 0-0 tie. Even though I lost, I loved it. This, coming from a guy who isn't really into sports, period.

Of course this isn't an in depth review as I haven't gotten my copy yet (and at 20 bones, you can't really go wrong) but it does have create-a-player, create-a-team, celebration maker, franchise mode (with salary caps, contract negotiations and such), pre game situations (create practices, exercise, assign time off, assign rehabilitation, etc.), a weekly (I think) Sports Center recap that looks like you are watching an episode-right down to game highlights, a "crib" where you can purchase items to furnish your domain (with bobble-heads, posters, furniture, etc.) and I'm sure lots more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

when it comes to football games,i am all-madden.i have already pre-ordered the special edition of madden 2005 for ps2.but,for 20 dollars,i might just run down to gamecrazy today and pick up a copy.i think sega had a first person perspective in last years version too.i never played it,but heard good things about it.i think sega did a smart move on making there football title" budget priced",and if it plays as good as it is priced,they may give madden a bloody, gridiron war.
    do not buy/get system repair from martin krohn aka iamnotageek.com

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great to hear that the game is good. For a $20 new release price in order to gain a competitive edge aginst Madden, even a notorious anti-sports gamer for traditional American sports like me might pick it up. I put it in my 'maybe'-list.

As a German, I never really played through a football game. I just can't mentally connect. Well, I always have Winning Eleven 6 for 'real' sports like soccer (and even soccer games bored me in the past)

Yoshi, good to hear you played as the Packers. If you had played as the Cowboys, you might have been stoned to death by fellow Wisconsinites.

Yep, those sports games became so good in the meantime that they appeal to the casual and frequent gamer crowd alike. No wonder it's one of the most competitive and successful genres.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

I don't care what Madden pulls out this year, ESPN has it slaughtered. The default difficulty needs to be adjusted immediately (after I did so, my second game ended in a 7-7 tie which I don't think I've ever done in a football game before), but after that it's pure bliss. The crib is most improved, but the celebrity calls are just flat-out stupid. The new moves on the field will take some work to get used to, but once you've learned the system, it all becomes second nature.

The new graphics system is mighty impressive, and only slows a bit during cinemas. Oh, and the cinemas! Berman in the studio for Sportcenter, Suzie Kolber (sp?) interviewing the players after the game, players kickig over Gatorade coolers after bad plays, etc. It's just stunning. Granted, virtual Berman and the interviews have no lip synching whatsoever, but this is a new feature so I guess time will show us what it can do.

The passing system still suffers from a bit too many drops, but it has definitely been worked on to make it seem more realistic. The running game is better than anything Madden has ever put out and that's all there is to that.

If you don't buy this for $20, you're an idiot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin
    Yoshi, good to hear you played as the Packers. If you had played as the Cowboys, you might have been stoned to death by fellow Wisconsinites.
    Or Da Bears.

Actually I usually pick the Steelers. Been a favorite "game team" since Tecmo Super Bowl 3 for the SNES. Secondary is the Jets. Yeah, I like to try and take underdog teams to the Super Bowl. Of course I pad the roster with trades/free agents that normally wouldn't go to those teams. However I don't think I'll get that opportunity with the more in depth salary/contract/bonus system they have in play.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

I picked up the game after work last night and had the chance to mess around with it and play one game as the Pats before it was time for bed.

I'll play it more tonight after work, but it looks VERY good.

Graphics and sound effects are good, the intergration with ESPN and SportsCenter is downright PERFECT, first person is cool once you get used to it, and the franchise mode is improved.

I'm still getting Madden 2005 when it comes out, but I had both Madden and ESPN last year and I can't see a reason not to do it again this year.

And it's only $20!

Oh, I got the XBox version.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM
    Quote Originally Posted by lendelin
    Or Da Bears.

Actually I usually pick the Steelers.
    Bears??...Steelers???...tz, tz, it's getting worse and worse and worse.

Well, on the other hand, I'm from the South-Western part of Germany, and my favorite team was and always will be Bayern Munich. (YEAH)

It's really good to hear that the game worked out so well. I hope The game will put up a big fight with Madden. Too bad Sega doesn't support the GC anymnore with the franchise.

That's the second first-rate sports title we get this year for $20, first Colin McRae 4, now ESPN NFL. The gaming world looks pretty good right now for players, very good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Best $20.00 dollars EVAR!

Man, this game is just wow. First time in years I have bought a sports game withing its first few days of release. The price point pulled me in. I also hate Madden and have had a soft spot for the 2K series since the DC days.

Screw Madden.

I know what I will be doing all next week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also bought ESPN NFL 2K5 yesterday to tidy me over till my fully paided off reserve copy of Madden 2005 Collection's Edition for the PS2 comes out and man I'm glad I did .Awesome football game and experience and currently put over 5 hours into my franchise w/ the Buffalo Bills and 4-1 so far.Great overall deep game with fun mini games and a neat crib to pimp out.

Also for $20 it's a must own for any sports fan

and I also got the Xbox Version

Proud owner of a PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, PSP and 3DS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the $19 price point was a good call. The game is sold out at both my EBgames and Gamestop. I've been reading the reviews of how this game blows Madden away plus I've also been a fan since the DC days.

The emplyoees at both stores tried to get me to reserve Madden and both were down playing the ESPN game as being all right but nothing compared to Madden.

I guess I'll have to go to another store and look for it.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

If nothing else, this is a WONDERFULL chance to see how this experiment works.

Sega and ESPN must have gotten together and been like "We have a good game but we have a uphill battle to catch up to Madden. What can we do to imrpove the franchise?" Sega responded "We can try selling the game cheaply AND get it out first".

It's a big risk, and I can't see the game making as much money as Madden, but it seems like it will pay off really well.

The fact the game is only $20 AND is out a few weeks before Madden is sure to grab the attention of many people who would'nt have bought the game. Many folks will happily pick it up now just for curiousty because of the cheap price and that they want a football game.

Other companies could learn from this.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    Sega and ESPN must have gotten together and been like "We have a good game but we have a uphill battle to catch up to Madden. What can we do to imrpove the franchise?" Sega responded "We can try selling the game cheaply AND get it out first".
    Those aren't improvements; those are misguided last-ditch marketing efforts.

It's a big risk, and I can't see the game making as much money as Madden, but it seems like it will pay off really well.
    Not really. If ESPN NFL 2K5 manages to sell a million copies--which is highly unlikely, as Madden sells about two million copies a year, and Madden has *destroyed* ESPN at retail in previous years--that's just $20 million of gross profit. Now subtract the costs of development, production, marketing, and retail. What's left is a relative pittance for a company of SEGA's size. And it's not like SEGA can go back to $50 next year.

Other companies could learn from this. ;)
    There's no lesson to be learned here, other than kamikaze price points don't benefit anyone (including consumers, in the long run).

-- Z.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I'm glad to hear everyone likes it! I ordered mine online awhile back so it should arrive today. So when are we all getting together to play a great big Xbox Live match?

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hell, son, count me in. Let's make DAMN sure the refs in THIS version of the NFL call penalties like they should. Now my beloved Colts can win it all

When I get xbox live, I expect to be playin' some of you fools

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Remember target is selling this for 15.88 in next weeks sales flyer so buy copies for friends I am getting mine on Sunday.
    You did what? With who? For how many cookies?
    Always looking for promotional materials and classic gaming commercials in print and video form
    my feedback-http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48618

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    Those aren't improvements; those are misguided last-ditch marketing efforts.
    Nope, it isn't a misguided strategy, it's a very rational business decision which might work out, and also an indicator of the desparate situation that you can't compete on an even-levelled playing field.

If ESPN NFL 2K5 manages to sell a million copies--which is highly unlikely, as Madden sells about two million copies a year, and Madden has *destroyed* ESPN at retail in previous years--that's just $20 million of gross profit. Now subtract the costs of development, production, marketing, and retail. What's left is a relative pittance for a company of SEGA's size. And it's not like SEGA can go back to $50 next year.
    Sega is well aware they will make only a pittiful profit on it, or come out even, or take losses. It's a stretegy in the long-run to build a loyal fanbase for the franchise in order to compete with a seemingly invincible competitor.

There's no lesson to be learned here, other than kamikaze price points don't benefit anyone (including consumers, in the long run).
    Those low prices would be only detrimental in every aspect IF they stay at the price-level for a long period of time or permanently. Sega doesn't plan on it.

If it works out, in the long-run it will be good for Sega AND players. They build a fanbase for the franchise, catch-up with Madden, and have a much better starting position for their game next year. Gamers profit in the short run becasue they get temporarily a game very cheap, and they profit in the long run becasue Madden has a serious competitor again; EA can't rest on their laurels, and it will be good for game quality from which the gamer profits.

If it works out, we won't get ESPN for $20 again, that's for sure.

The biggest problem for Sega will be to go up with the price again becasue players got used to the low price. Consumers get very easily used to low prices. This scenario is also good for players. If Sega sells the game next year for $40, they might force EA to do the same becasue they can smell a competitor which gradually is catching up. With the sheer number of games sold of Madden (even significantly reduced), they would still make a very good profit.

If it works out, good for Sega, good for players.

There is a big lesson to be learned here if it works out. A temporary price reduction associated with moderate losses may be a successful strategy and serious option for other developers/publishers in a similar situation if you have a high-quality game.

Only one thing is dangerous for players - if you have a King like Madden sitting comfortable in a throne with three cushions under its butt.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

\^_^/

To previous post

Took the words out of my mouth.

Oh, and Adam, I'll take you up on that bet. I've allready whipped the Colts with my Pats several times -- once more won't matter. :P

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If Sega is really smart, they will get to work on a college football game based on this engine, package it WITH the NFL game and charge 50 bucks. That way there is a precedent for bumping the price back up, and they can start to dent EA's market on the college game.

I agree with everyone here by the way - this is a fantastic football game!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With the exception of the Tecmo series of football games, this is the best football game I have ever played! Tecmo and any modern game is apple and oranges anyways. I also have the EA College 05 game and this is a much more enjoyable game, not that there is anything wrong with the EA game. It's a real bargin.

I picked it up last night based on this thread. Thanks for informing me about it.

Roger

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey, hey! Who's this new Roger? I thought my name was copyrighted? Never mind...

I picked up the game myself a day or two ago...at first, I thought of looking up a clerk and saying "Hey, you priced this wrong...this is a new game!"