Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yard Sale Horror Story

Strawberry (Level 2) mizarkgram's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Yard Sale Horror Story

I went out yard saling today (AS I do every week), and as usual, had a helluva time finding video games for sale. Last place we stopped was at this lady at the apartment complex where the girlfriend's mother is the landlady... and we figured she wouldnt have any video-ghame related stuff for sale. We looked around and whatnot, and this real old lady goes and opens this box and says "Oh, what kind of system is this???" and the seller person said it was the original Nintendo and she wanted 5 bucks (Canadian) for it. I kinda moved towards it and took a peek in the box and saw the best yard saling find I would have ever had.... There was the original control deck, and the usual crap that goes along with it, The U-Force, NES Satellite, about 30 or so games, and the Aladin Deck enhancer.

My hear t was a pumping, and I wanted it badly (its hard to find video games around here...) and then the old lady pikced up the box and said "I'll let my 5-year old play this one, I think he is getting tired of his PS2"

I was pissed.... I wanted it, it was dirt cheap, in minty fresh condition, and some little sloppy kid is gonna muck it all up whne it could have come home with me and been taken care of!!!

Just needed to get that rant out.... and to open this up for all to retell their worst Yard Saling/Flea Market/Whatever else story where you did not purposely let a good deal slip, but were robbed right before your eyes.

I'm going upstairs to sulk now

/End Rant

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Before she disappeared with it did you at least let them know that you would have paid for it? I would have made an offer at least before leaving since you had nothing to loose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You should of offered the seller $something higher than the $5, say $20. Just because the old lady picked it up doesn't mean they have to sell it to her. Sure, you may come off as a jerk, but hey, the seller is trying to make as much money as possible. I'm sure the old lady woudn't have paid more than $5 or $10 for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Quote Originally Posted by esquire
    You should of offered the seller $something higher than the $5, say $20. Just because the old lady picked it up doesn't mean they have to sell it to her. Sure, you may come off as a jerk, but hey, the seller is trying to make as much money as possible. I'm sure the old lady woudn't have paid more than $5 or $10 for it.
    No no no. I don't think you can do this. Just a month or two ago I recall we had a thread where someone at a flea market got screwed out of getting an Astrocade for something like $50 because somebody else overheard the deal he was making and talked up the price "You could get $200 for that on Ebay!" and our poor forum member lost out. The Rule, painful as it is, is that you aren't supposed to mess up someone else's deal. Even if it's some daft old granny.

So her grandson was "getting tired of the PS2"? Take solace my friend. I can only imagine how - erm - grateful sonny was when grandma showed up with a comparative relic of an NES. Probably started bitching for an X-Box...

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pantechnicon
    The Rule, painful as it is, is that you aren't supposed to mess up someone else's deal. Even if it's some daft old granny.
    Not quite. If you're interested in buying it for yourself, it's fair game to wheel and deal. It's taboo to just arbitrarily tell the seller they can sell it for more elsewhere. That's what I was taught, 8 years into flea market walking and thrifting.

There are subtleties to each situation that you guage on experience after awhile on whether it is cool to intervene or not. I would cut Granny down in a heartbeat because she didn't even know what the hell she was buying, coupled with the unlikely event that her sonny-boy will appreciate it. If it were a younger person my age who actually addressed the items by their brand names and such I would leave them be to their fantastic find.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Almost all of my yard sale finds are never out on the "yard", anyway...I always lead off with the classic, "Got any Atari junk you want to get rid of?" I always get great stuff for cheap with that line

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You should of told the Granny it was the worst thing on the planet, and that her grandson would probably hate it, and then it would end up in the rubbish bin......

Then buy it yourself when she's gone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

You shoulda just kicked that old lady's ass. Swung by the cord, an Atari paddle can do a massive amount of damage quickly.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Hopefully you will take away a valuable lesson from this experience and not make assumptions about yard sales based on appearances.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

yea....you should have just offered 10 or 20 to the seller....
    granny wouldnt have minded
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You shoulda just kicked that old lady's ass. Swung by the cord, an Atari paddle can do a massive amount of damage quickly.
    I was going to suggest something along similar lines, but thought I may be disowned...

You should of whacked her with the NES itself...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Grannys probably a hardcore e-bay sellin' .........

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BLACKFROSTT
    Grannys probably a hardcore e-bay sellin' .........
    Just what I was going to say but ya beat me to it. Wtf? My son doesn't like his ps2 anymore, I'll take this NES! To me anyhow, that is such a BS story, five bucks says granny just does yard salin and thriftin and sells what she think she can make a profit on and keep what she likes. You should have offered money for it. Screw the little rule or whatever I woulda straight up offered 10 for it.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Y'know, I know in this day and age it's hard to believe, but maybe, just maybe, that NES really is going to a five year old grandson who is going to play the hell out of it and may very well end up liking it better than his PS2. Personally, that warms my heart more than seeing a collector get yet another trophy for his bragging rights file.

Not necessarly saying that's you mizarkgram. Just noticing some people here are either really cynical or have some strange entitlement issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would have outbid her on it. Not paid for, fair game. Especially if there's rares. Or i would have offered granny money for just the rare games.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Strawberry (Level 2) mizarkgram's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would have tried to outbid her, but I personally knew her (I used to have to walk around with her at the grocery store when I worked there cuz she couldnt reach any of the stuff on the higher shelves and stuff...) and I do know what kid she is talking about, and he is a spoiled brat if I ever saw one

Oh well.... it aint gonna burn me, its all done

ANd to whoever said never judge yard sales by appearance, point well taken and lesson learned.

I usually do not let my guard down for video games at yard sales, but the person I was with said that the yard sale would be more "antique-type" stuff, and I trusted her (since she personally knew the lady sellin the stuff) but yeah... usually when i eveter a yard sale, I quickly scan the entire yard for video games and systems, then go looking for other stuff

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry that happen. I guess you going to put this one as a lost. Don't worry about it to much.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would have offered her more. YEah its rude but if I was in that situation I would have been like please can I have this, Ill give you 10 bucks. Then if the other lady was mad Id offer her the system and a few games for free. (well prolly not that last part I just said that so I didnt sound like a jerk.)
    Midwest

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Well, coulda been worse. A kid's prolly gonna get this to play, and prolly like it.

Coulda been a young guy that walked off bragging about how much profit he was gonna turn on eBay with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default this is how I look at it....

If the nes is really going to a kid, then is that really a bad thing? In the collecting world, what goes around, comes around.......
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist