Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Default Video Games and the History Channel: Decisive Battles

As some of you may know, I cary a BA in History and a MA in American History. It was games like Civ and Nobunaga's Ambition that got me partly interested in history in the first place. One of my favorite groups of games to play are historical games, weather they are war games, strategy based, online, or anything else in between.

Recently the History Channel has started working with Acitivision to produce a line of history games with their name on it. I watch the channel a lot cause they have good programing, but the games have been bargin titles and, quite frankly, fair at best.

But it seems the History Channel got the better end of the deal.

Tonight I happened to catch a new episode of Decisive Battles, one of their staple programs that focuses on critical battles that happened during ancient times. This one specificly delt with the BAttle of Cannae in 216 BC, when Hannibal of Carthage destroyed a superior Roman army through a carefull trap.

What really impressed me was that they used video game graphics all through the 30 minute show to explain and follow the battle. They even said a few times that it they were using 'video game graphics'. It wa sa very cool tough and made eveything very easy to follow, and the graphics were REALLY sharp.

There was only one game engine that I knew off that was even close to being good enough for the show, the Total War Engine that Activision made for their Shogun: Total War and Medevil: Total War games. But the graphics were even better then anything I had seen on my high end system.

It seemed confirmed when they mentioned in the show's credits that they thanked a company called 'Total War Entertainment'.

So the engine must be a improved one of the one we're going to see in the third Total War game, Rome: Total War when it comes out later this year.

I just thought it was a very nice example of two companies working together and helping to give respect for video game graphics.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I read about it in Computer Gaming World, but I rarely have time to watch TV. I hope I can see it or see a re-run.

D
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Video Games and the History Channel: Decisive Battles

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    So the engine must be a improved one of the one we're going to see in the third Total War game, Rome: Total War when it comes out later this year.
    I read in a magazine that Total War was being used for television shows.

And yes it was awesome! I grow tired of seeing WW2 battles. Hopefully now the History Channel can use the cheap-to-produce computer graphics to bring *ancient* history to life.
    Disclaimer: The message you just read is my opinion. If you do not like my opinion, I apologize in advance. Please explain where my opinion is wrong or fallacious. Thank you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I watched this. It was interesting, but the graphics could use some tweaking. It seemed like all the horses ran in step with each other, at least in one scene. Also, when the Carthaginian cavalry attacked the rear of the Roman army in the end, I watched some of them run into their own troops and then stop and start jerking to get to the right spot.

And although the Romans might have had a standard uniform to wear, I dont think the same was true for the Carthaginians, at least not to the same degree. The Carthaginian soldiers looked identical.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

(1) All the flaws you mention are common to videogames.

(2) The Carthaginians did have a variety of uniforms... depending on where they came from.
    Disclaimer: The message you just read is my opinion. If you do not like my opinion, I apologize in advance. Please explain where my opinion is wrong or fallacious. Thank you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know that these effects are common in video games. I just thought that since the game didn't really have to be playable, just watchable, the graphics and such could/should be tweaked.

What I meant is, for example, all the "spearmen" looked identical. Even among these groups, I would expect more variety. Not a standardized uniform. I realize a game would be like this, but like I said, they could have tweaked it a bit. Make four repeating outfits or something. Maybe they will make improvements in later episodes.

It was still a good show though.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SkiDragon
    I know that these effects are common in video games. I just thought that since the game didn't really have to be playable, just watchable, the graphics and such could/should be tweaked.
    If a guy buys "Total War" based upon what they see on the TV show, and the game graphics don't match what was shown, it would make the game company liable for false advertising.

Just my guess of why they were not "tweaked".

Strawberry (Level 2) Pedro Lambrini's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Over here in Blighty there is a program on BBC2 (The name eludes me at the mo) which uses the Total War engine. The program features a team of war gamers who take a side in an historical battle and try to win against a bunch of experts and the computer. I only managed to catch it once or twice but it seemed pretty groovy to me - kind of like table-top wargaming on TV.