Thread: Review: StellaDC (Atari 2600 for your Dreamcast)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Review: StellaDC (Atari 2600 for your Dreamcast)

I love emulation, especially on consoles. Playstation on my Dreamcast. Sega Genesis on my Playstation 2. NES on my Playstation. Blisters on my fingers! Warts on my ... oh my, I've said too much.

I highly doubt that Sega's intention with the Dreamcast was to make the most easily programmable and hackable home console of all time, but that appears to be exactly what they did. While mod chips and boot discs were originally required to play imports, backups and homebrew games on the Dreamcast, everything I've seen over the past few years boots itself up off a CD-R on a completely stock system. Oops. Combine that with an army of dedicated programmers and Sega fans, and you end up with a complete library of emulators freely available for download for your Dreamcast.

Recently I stumbled across DCStella, a port of the Atari 2600 emulator "Stella" for the Dreamcast. The image I downloaded came with a semi-complete Atari 2600 ROM collection, so once the disc is burned you've got a self-booting emulator for your Dreamcast with every Atari game on it. Sweet!

Once I started playing games ... not so sweet.

I can remember getting new Atari 2600 games as a kid (and even as an adult!) and playing them for weeks on end, so looking at a menu with 600 different Atari titles on it can be a bit overwhelming. I skipped to the end of the list and began looking for titles that looked familiar.

Up 'N Down: I've always loved this game both in the arcade and on the Commodore 64, but had never played it on the Atari 2600 before. Once the game came up I was treated to some loud blasts of noise and some horrible graphics. Maybe that's what Up 'N Down looks like. I exited this game quickly and moved on.

TRON: Working backwards, the next game I wanted to try out was TRON. In TRON, my character would not stop running left. I could throw my disc, but usually to the left. I ended up in the top left hand corner of the screen with people attacking me in the back as I kept running into the wall over and over.

Surround: Same thing. The controller in port one controlled player one just find, but player two kept moving up and to the right. I had no controller in port two of the Dreamcast. When I plugged one in, nothing changed.

Superman: Couldn't even get this one to start. It just kept making Superman's X-Ray Vision sound over and over and flashing around to different scenes. Not even the Man of Steel could get this to work.

Strawberry Shortcake: Shut up. My sister had this game when I was a kid. Surprisingly enough, this game loaded up and worked okay, but the sound was horrible. Of course, the point of the game was to line up different Strawberry Shortcake characters to get the game to play songs, so with garbled sound the point was lost.

Space Invaders: Actually, Space Invaders worked fairly well. The sound sounded a little off, but I could live with that. My only concern is that the game was not running at full speed. It's been a while since I played Space Invaders on the 2600, but I don't remember it being that easy. I cleared the first five or six waves on one man. Once the levels without shields began, the game was running significantly slower than full speed.

As it currently runs, I wouldn't recommend checking out StellaDC for anything more than novelty reasons. One would think Atari 2600 roms would be easily emulated on such a fast system, but this was not my experience at all. There are lots of great Atari emulators available for lots of different platforms (both PC and console), but this is not one of the better ones.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't noticed the issues you are having. I will try the games you mentioned and see if I get the same results. I just recently 'received' DCStella so I have not yet fully investigated the games. I just verified the disc would boot up and tried a couple of games.

So far I have tried the Atari, Colecovision, NES, SMS/GG, and Genesis emulators and have been very impressed with them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by classic gamer
    I haven't noticed the issues you are having. I will try the games you mentioned and see if I get the same results. I just recently 'received' DCStella so I have not yet fully investigated the games. I just verified the disc would boot up and tried a couple of games.

So far I have tried the Atari, Colecovision, NES, SMS/GG, and Genesis emulators and have been very impressed with them.
    I tried the Colecovision one, loaded up Donkey Kong, and quit. Too slow for me. I thought the NES and SMS/GG ones were great. I can't remember if I've tried the Genesis one for it or not. I probably didn't as they have the Genesis emu for PS2 that's basically perfect.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The hacked Genesis one is pretty good other than the sound problem. I'll also mention don't bother with DreamMSX. It's a pain to use and a lot of games I tried didn't work or played poorly.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

I didn't notice any of the controller related problems that you mentioned... Tron and Surround both seem to work completely fine for me. You're right about the sound though... it's not 100%, and it sounds quite awful in some games (Up 'n Down being one of the worse ones). Overall, I think the emulator is pretty decent actually. The speed isn't 100%, but keep in mind that even though the 2600 is a very old system, it's a surprisingly complicated one. Due to the goofy video setup, you have to have the emulator timed exactly right just to get games to run at all, so it doesn't surprise me much that it's not fullspeed just yet.

By the way, which version of DCStella are you using? I'm using version 0.2E over here. I believe there is actually a newer version out, but I haven't tried it yet.

As for the ColecoVision emulator, I also didn't notice any speed problems at all... and I've had a real ColecoVision since I was a kid, so I think I have a good idea of how fast it was originally. Seems quite accurate to me. Only complaint is the horrible seizureriffic flashing menu screens!

If you already have a Genesis emulator on the PS2, then you're probably best off not even bothering with any of the ones on the Dreamcast. None of them are anywhere near perfect yet. SegaGen (the hacked version of Smash Pack) has terrible sound, and every other emulator either lacks sound entirely, or is just plain slow. There are people still working on these emulators, but I'm just not sure the Dreamcast has the power to pull it off.

--Zero

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is an great Atari 5200 emulator for the Dreamcast, but I agree the Atari 2600 emulator leaves alot to be desired. The NES and SMS emulators are also real good on the DReamcast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Flack aren't you a little late (about 2-3 years)with this review? j/k

But yeah the 2600 emulation on the Dreamcast was always somewhat problematic. If I remember correctly the best emu's you could find on the Dreamcast were the NES, 5200/8bit, Colecovision (once properly tweaked), and SMS/GG (although they couldn't do saves the last I checked).

But by this point I think most everyone who's interested in emulation on consoles has since moved on to the Xbox. :P (which does excellent 2600 emulation)

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the Dreamcast could do pretty good emulation of the Megadrive/Genesis if someone wants to spend the time. I have no problem with the Sega Smash Pack hack as I generally listen to normal music as I play games so it's doesn't bother me.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NE146

But yeah the 2600 emulation on the Dreamcast was always somewhat problematic. If I remember correctly the best emu's you could find on the Dreamcast were the NES, 5200/8bit, Colecovision (once properly tweaked), and SMS/GG (although they couldn't do saves the last I checked).

But by this point I think most everyone who's interested in emulation on consoles has since moved on to the Xbox. :P (which does excellent 2600 emulation)
    Well I happen to be one of those that fall outside of your generalization.

I just got Dreamcast lasst fall and wish I'd gotten it sooner. No mod requirements is a great thing.

Anyone else out there more interested in DC emulation than ModBoxing?

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just got Dreamcast lasst fall and wish I'd gotten it sooner. No mod requirements is a great thing.

I'm probably one of the few.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes.. me! I'm huge on Dreamcast emulation. If the posts here went back far enough you' see my numerous posts on the very subject. (I think many old posts got lost in a server HD crash). Matter o' fact I've sent out several free Dreamcast emulator discs to people on this forum (basically whoever asked).

But anyway, don't get me wrong I still play the DC every now and then.. it's still set up in one of my bedrooms.. and what do I play on it? emus :P

That being said, since you like DC emus you will kick yourself when you finally get to play xbox emulators. It really does an outstanding job for pretty much every old console (tg16 being the one exception).

It's nothing but a platform to run emulator on. As long as there are people out there willing to create these things I'm sure there will be emulators on most any new hardware platform in the future. It just so happens that today, the platform of choice when it comes to home consoles running emulators...is xbox. Three years from now? Who knows.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't for the life of me get this to work. I have a rom folder for my reg version of stella. I downloaded the plain files from DCemu, downloaded a bunch of other programs trying to figure out what to do. I burned working copies of this and sms, snes, a few years ago, but now for the life of me cant get it to work.
    Would someone be so kind to write up a step by step procedure for making a disk? Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Better late than never.

Thanks for the review, Flack. I thought it was an entertaining read, and I like the introduction that you used.

I agree that the DC features superb NES and SMS / GG emulation. SNES emulation leaves much to be desired.