Thread: PSX DDR Recommendations

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PSX DDR Recommendations

I am finally giving into my kids request for a DDR game. I am going to let them use my PSX and was wondering if anyone can give me their recommendations on any of the games and pads available. I would like to hear the good as well as the bad. Thanx.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as PSX games go, Konamix is pretty much the only one you'll even be able to find. The original US DDR and Disney Mix regularly hit around $50-70 on ebay. Konamix isn't a bad game, but I vastly prefer the PS2 versions, and even the original US release myself. If you've got a PS2 available to play on, look for the DDR Max 2 bundle that comes with the Konami mat. If you're going to have to go with PS1, try to find a place that sells the Konami mat separate from the game. You will probably have to mail order. All the 3rd party mats suck (except for the really good $100 Ignition you can get at Gamestop).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davidbrit2
    The original US DDR and Disney Mix regularly hit around $50-70 on ebay.
    Wow! I knew Disney was up there, but didn't know the original was too.

Your best bet probably is Konamix anyway. Its got a lot of the songs as on the original, plus more. It's harder, but more enjoyable.

As for the pads, just stick with the official Konami soft pads. They WILL wear out, and you WILL need to replace them, but thats the way it goes with all soft pads. Konami pads are more responsive and last the longest for their price.

Hard pads are a different story. They are all expensive ($100+ EACH). They all suck. They all break. If your kids will play the game often, don't expect them to last longer thana year, and that is being extremely generous.

The ONLY hard pad that I can suggest is the Cobalt Flux (www.cobaltflux.com). Arcade realistic, extremely responsive, and virtually indestructable. They also cost $300 each.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

this sums up ddr...

but i hope your kids enjoy it

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd recommend Konamix and possibly Disney Mix if you can find it. The last eBay auction that I saw had Disney Mix end at about $110. I don't think the original DDR is worth upwards of $50. I got mine for about $10 and you should be able to get a copy for that price unless you hit eBay for your games.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you have carpet in your living room, all you need for a decent set-up is a cheap soft pad and a couple strips of velcro. Stick the "hook" side of the velcro onto the bottom of the pad, and it'll hold onto the carpet enough to keep you from sliding around, while still being easy to pick up when you're done playing. I also took some foam and cut arrows out of it to stick under the arrows on the pad, so I could feel what I was stepping on, bu that's just me.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't like the PS2 versions of DDR. Not sure why? I think it was the lack of songs and annoying background movie.

I prefer the Konamix songs with the on-screen dancer.
    Disclaimer: The message you just read is my opinion. If you do not like my opinion, I apologize in advance. Please explain where my opinion is wrong or fallacious. Thank you.