Thread: Would hooking PS2 up via component instead of S-video...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Would hooking PS2 up via component instead of S-video...

...help the jaggies and/or shimmering in any way? I'm noticing that almost all my games, from the older ones like Devil May Cry and Spy Hunter, to in the middle ones like ZOE2 and Contra: Shattered Soldier, to brand spankin new ones like Bujingai and Crimson Tears, have a lot of jaggies and "shimmering" textures. Right now, I have it hooked up via S-Video. Would changing to component make a big difference in that respect?

Although the XB isn't known to have jaggies, it has none on component. Then again, my GC/SNES/DC/muffin look nice on S-video, so maybe it's just a PS2 inherent thing.

Thanks for any info you may have.

Too lazy to probably ever finish up my older games, but collection funtime.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm pretty sure by the increased quality you would be able to notice jagged edges even more. Not that it's much of a difference anyway, unless you decide to use progressive scan of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't notice much difference in clarity between S-Video and component. The color is brighter with component, but that's about all I saw.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

When you run an Xbox with component, it will switch to a higher resolution if your TV can handle it. That's why you see fewer jaggies and whatnot.

The PS2 doesn't do that. The only difference is that you can watch DVDs in Prog scan if you have one of the newer '+' systems.

As far as better picture quality, videophiles will notice the differences, but they're not as drastic as you may be lead to believe. Brighter colors and more defined edges are really the only benefits of component. It also depends on what cables you're using. I've been using Monster Cable with my systems since I got them, and they look really good with them. Stay away from those cheap-ass $10 component cables. Put that towards better ones.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If your cabling is the weakest link on your system* then you have more money than sense in any case. While I agree that a $10 component cable won't look as good as Monster on a very high-end television, the first-party component cables made for any game system will work just fine.

Monster Cable is by and large a scam. If you let them, they'll try to sell you Monster brand TOSLINK fiber-optic and claim that somehow the 0's and 1's get to the other end in a more reliable fashion.

*If you have to ask, "Is my cabling the weakest link in my system?" then it isn't.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    When you run an Xbox with component, it will switch to a higher resolution if your TV can handle it.
    You mean HDTV?

I've seen Component and S-video side-by-side, and I couldn't see any difference. S-video is already crystal clear.

Jaggies are caused by PS2 limitations, not the cable.
    Disclaimer: The message you just read is my opinion. If you do not like my opinion, I apologize in advance. Please explain where my opinion is wrong or fallacious. Thank you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just playit on you computer monitor and enjoy!
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Component won't get rid of jaggies at all unless the game supports progressive. Tekken 4 is the only game I know of. I am sure there are more, but you have to hold a couple of buttons when the game starts to start progressive mode.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nah, not an HDTV. That's why I think it's my cables. There's no way GC has shimmering if XB doesn't, they both output nice video. For what it's worth, I'm using cheap-ass Pelican cables.

(yeah, I know I said GC worked fine, but I'm starting to notice a lot of shimmer in certain shades of blue and green)

Too lazy to probably ever finish up my older games, but collection funtime.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will usually connect my XBox to my parents HDTV when I have people over because its a much bigger TV than the one I got ( 52" WS to my lil 27"). There are noticable differences in resolution and picture quality with XBox titles that support HDTV (480p, 720p &1080i) TV's when connected using the MS HDTV Pack.

And as for" jaggies", component cables wont do anything for them and will only glorify them more as someone else had mentioned.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by musical
    I've seen Component and S-video side-by-side, and I couldn't see any difference.
    On what type of TV and what was it playing?

Because I work at best buy and I have seen slight differences between the 2, but it varies on the type of TV and what was playing on it.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Circuit City with large-screen NTSC TVs. They were demonstrating how component is superior to S-video, but it looked the same to me. Maybe if I used a magnifying glass, but I don't generally watch TV that close-up.

Quote Originally Posted by bluberry
    (yeah, I know I said GC worked fine, but I'm starting to notice a lot of shimmer in certain shades of blue and green)

I'm not really sure what "shimmer" is supposed to be (reflective surface? blurring?), but have you tried turning down the brightness or contrast on your TV?

Another problem might be a flaw with the viewer (i.e. too picky). Remember, these are *video games* with the inherent limitations of that genre. It's never going to look perfect, because the technology is not perfect. Pixels, jaggies, polygons, spheres that look like dodecahedrons... these flaws are 100% normal for video games.

Try playing a DVD in your PS2. Does it look okay? Crystal clear? Yes? Then it's the game, not the cables.
    Disclaimer: The message you just read is my opinion. If you do not like my opinion, I apologize in advance. Please explain where my opinion is wrong or fallacious. Thank you.