Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would a arcade cab pay for it's self?

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Would a arcade cab pay for it's self?

Thanks to the info Videogamerdaryll posted i have gotten an offer to buy a strikers 1945 game for 800 dollers (shipping is an extra 100 from pittsburgh PA to norwood MA to my house). I was sort of trying to find something cheaper but i was wonder if i rented/vendor it out to a local store for awhile do you think i could pay off the cost? If so how long would it take and would i have to pay the store ect.

(you can move this to the arcade forum if you want).
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I honestly can't answer that for you, but don't forget that if the cab is in a public place, it will be inevitably be beat to hell. There would be minor maintanance costs too. Replacing joysticks and buttons, etc etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sisko
    I honestly can't answer that for you, but don't forget that if the cab is in a public place, it will be inevitably be beat to hell. There would be minor maintanance costs too. Replacing joysticks and buttons, etc etc.
    I know thats why i was thinking of waiting on it. I want the game just not at that price point. I know i may be able to make it all back if i rented it out but like you said some dipshit kid would most likely put out a cigarette on it or something. So very sad.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it is anything like I dealt with in South Carolina you need a permit for the machine from the city or state and must pay an 'amusement tax' on it. Ran about $100 per machine per year in SC. Plus you have to split the take with the establishment not counting the hell they go through. My bet would be to find a cheaper JAMMA machine and swap in a Strikers boardset down the road.
    Alan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

whatever you do, do not rent it out......it will get destroyed.....its better to wait until you have the $$$ and get a nice cab and keep it at your house than to get a nice cab and have it be beat to shit and then have a piece of junk to take home after you are done making money off it
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tholly
    whatever you do, do not rent it out......it will get destroyed.....its better to wait until you have the $$$ and get a nice cab and keep it at your house than to get a nice cab and have it be beat to shit and then have a piece of junk to take home after you are done making money off it
    Yeah i guess your all right. Money not the issue i could afforded it With the money i have in savings and with working a full time job. though do you think i sould just wait out on it? Whats the going rate on a snk mvs cabinet (slots)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

Quote Originally Posted by testament89
    Yeah i guess your all right. Money not the issue i could afforded it With the money i have in savings and with working a full time job. though do you think i sould just wait out on it? Whats the going rate on a snk mvs cabinet (slots)?

i got my big red 4-Slot SNK Neo Geo MVS for $350. it is in near mint condition, has external headphone jacks and memory card reader, and it came with 4 games + the instruction manual. do not spend too much more than that.....
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i got my big red 4-Slot SNK Neo Geo MVS for $350. it is in near mint condition, has external headphone jacks and memory card reader, and it came with 4 games + the instruction manual. do not spend too much more than that.....
    So around 350-500 dollers for one it seems. That sounds like a much better deal to me thanks alot for your replies. I think i'll just wait and see if i can pick up one of those.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Yeah I don't want to be a deal breaker or anything, but that's pretty high. I have 20 arcade cabinets and haven't paid over $200 for any of them.

I don't know anything about that particular game but I have Aerofighters in a 25" monitor cabinet that I paid like $100 for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know it is high and i'm not willing to pay that much for a single cabinet. I would however do it if i could atleast pay half of it back though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

In your original post, you never said where you were planning on putting the game. I know a guy in Hutchinson, KS who has several games in a bowling alley. He said that some of his good games bring in about $100/month. Remember, that's split 50/50 with the establishment, so he's making $50 off a good game. I'm sure there are places that make a lot more and I'm sure there are some that would make a lot less. I know of a local laundrymat that I've thought about putting some games in but based on the people I see hanging out there I'm afraid the cabinet would get broken in to or vandalized.

Even at $100/month ($50/month profit) that's 18 months (a year and a half) to pay off that cabinet before you ever made a profit.

Of course, remember that this entire conversation is hypothetical. Until you've done some market research in your area, you won't have any idea on how much money a game would bring in.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know about that game but popular games I believe would. When I first got my Ms. Pac-man tons of parents and friends would drop quarters into it. I think it depends on how popular the game is. Also I gave them back there quarters, im not that cheap.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally, the idea of anyone I don't know playing on an arcade machine I paid a lot of money for scares me. I would wait it out, find a cheaper alternative and who knows, a few months and you may find a hell of a more kick ass deal at a better price.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Was there such a thing as a Strikers cab? The only time I've ever seen Strikers in a cab, it was converted from something else (and it went for about $150 at auction, if I'd only had a truck that day *grumble grumble*.) A Strikers board shouldn't set you back more than $200 on a bad day. An old JAMMA cab, cheaper than that.

As to the initial question...I really think unless you have a classic golden age game (Ms. Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, etc.) I don't think you'll be pulling in huge coin. If you ploped it in my apartement you would because the Strikers series in one of my all time faves. I don't think the rest of the world is quite up to it though.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My bud bought a 2-pad DDR machine with the newest upgrade (8th mix? I'm not exactly sure which it is). It's modded with Stepmania as well. He has it in a local arcade at 50/50 and makes a decent bit per month (50-100 dollars). There's no way he'll get back the four grand he paid for it, but it makes the purchase much easier to rationalize :-).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong
    Was there such a thing as a Strikers cab? The only time I've ever seen Strikers in a cab, it was converted from something else
    Now that you mention it i don't know really. Their are two of them in my area one like you said was just in an old tatio unit. I don't know about the other one really i should check that out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So if i bought just the board for say 150-250 dollers. What would i put it in? Would i just be able to use a cheap jamma board like most have said? What would be compatable with it?

Sorry bout the double post (even though it's my topic).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarioAllStar2600
    I don't know about that game but popular games I believe would. When I first got my Ms. Pac-man tons of parents and friends would drop quarters into it. I think it depends on how popular the game is. Also I gave them back there quarters, im not that cheap.
    Actually Ms. Pac-Man is usually considered a pretty bad game to put on a route these days, as people can play long periods of time on one quarter.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

So if i bought just the board for say 150-250 dollers. What would i put it in? Would i just be able to use a cheap jamma board like most have said? What would be compatable with it?

Sorry bout the double post (even though it's my topic).
    For Strikers, just get a JAMMA cab with a good verticle monitor and two fire buttons. That's really all you need . Buttons are easy to fix, the monitor is the key element here.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    Quote Originally Posted by MarioAllStar2600
    Actually Ms. Pac-Man is usually considered a pretty bad game to put on a route these days, as people can play long periods of time on one quarter.
    If you actually want to make money off of it fighters are generally the best as if you have a bunch of people playing a game will only last a few minutes.